Certified Legendary Thread 2 x Premiership Coach Chris Scott contracted to 2026 (aka the Chris Scott volumes

Remove this Banner Ad

We are not the GOAT team, unless you are talking about Geelong only teams.
The Hawks 3-peat was awesome, as were the Lions, and this current Tigers team is right up there, and the Hawks teams that just accumulated all those flags for Tuck, Lethal, Scott, Dermott, Dunstall etc were unreal.

Bomber was ok, but that team should have been the GOAT, and should have won 2008 and 2010.
I still see us as the GOAT. That I've seen anyway.
Of course for not for a period of time like that 80's Hawks team.
But just the way we played. I am biased I know that.
But there were some games that just blew me away how good we were. I enjoyed it.
I see him as way more than ok. I had almost come to the conclusion that I'd never see a flag. I am grateful for that time.

Who’s making excuses? Stop arguing points that no one has made

You just told me that Geelong lost to Richmond in a prelim final having led at halftime without Tom Hawkins in the side, are you saying had he played, we win that game? If so, that is an excuse for why we lost the game.
Don't bring it up in the first place as it means absolutely nothing. It was a loss just like all the other preliminary final losses under Chris.

I'm just saying pump the breaks on all the Scott love. He has yet to take the club to the levels in which Bomber Thompson took the club. That is all.

Only 2 games this year have we impressed.
We are only just going, yet we are 8-3.
According to how that makes them look in my interpretation, we will soon be 8-6
If we win any of the next 3, I will be impressed. Really impressed. We are still very unsettled with anywhere up to 6 players returning over the next 2 weeks. Some of those are very short of match practice, and against our next 3 opponents, it could cost.
I can’t see us losing 3 in a row.
Out of interest when was the last time that happened?
I can’t even remember the last time we lost 2 in a row.

You just told me that Geelong lost to Richmond in a prelim final having led at halftime without Tom Hawkins in the side, are you saying had he played, we win that game? If so, that is an excuse for why we lost the game.
Don't bring it up in the first place as it means absolutely nothing. It was a loss just like all the other preliminary final losses under Chris.

I'm just saying pump the breaks on all the Scott love. He has yet to take the club to the levels in which Bomber Thompson took the club. That is all.

that’s not an excuse it’s simply a fact - we did well to get to that position same as we did well to get within a kick of hawthorn with two guns missing

I can’t see us losing 3 in a row.
Out of interest when was the last time that happened?
I can’t even remember the last time we lost 2 in a row.
2017 - Magpies, Suns and Bombers.

But there's good reason to consider it a legitimate possibility. Just because it hasn't happened much recently doesn't mean it never will again, and the reasoning is justified. Despite the W/L, we have looked shaky this year. 2 good performances against Richmond and WCE and other than that we've been bumbling along a bit, often just scraping out wins against pretty mediocre sides. I guess the positives would be that our good wins were against good sides, though neither were playing all that great when we got them. We've lost to Melbourne, just got over Brisbane at home when they too were down on form and got rolled by Sydney, so there's not much form against top sides either.

We now, however, come up against three genuine contenders who are in pretty good form and two are away games. As I said a few weeks back, this period makes or breaks our season and determines if we are serious his year. Win at least 2 of them, and we're looking good. Proves we can take it up to the real threats this year and win at least one away. Lose all three and, while we may make finals, we're clearly not doing much this year.

Last edited:
that’s not an excuse it’s simply a fact - we did well to get to that position same as we did well to get within a kick of hawthorn with two guns missing

We finished top of the ladder in 2019 and we lost to Colligwood in the first week which would have given us a weeks rest completely avoiding Richmond in the first place.
That's not doing well, that's choking.

I agree with the 2013 preliminary final. Was a tremendous effort but once again, look at how that finals series panned out. We lost to Fremantle on our home deck with the coach leaving one of the clubs best finals performers (Chappy) on the bench till the third quarter.
We also dropped a ruckman who managed 25 hitouts the week prior and decided to go with Blicavs & Vardy against Sandilands & Clarke. We could have had invaluable rest and possibly made it to more than two grand finals had the coach not made such monumental coaching decisions on the eve of the finals.

Perhaps 2021 will be the year?
I mean we only have a stellar midfield and forward line so who knows.

You could cherry pick games in which Mark Thompson was coaching as well.
Remember when we were 15 seconds away from defeating the eventual premiers in Sydney in the 2005 EF?
Remember when you were allowed to mark the ball from a defensive kick in, turn around and then kick the ball through the goals to force a rushed behind?
Remember when we lost one of the most promising key defenders since Scarlett, and Thompson turned Lonergan into our next best option for a decade afterwards?
Remember when Mooney was penalized for tackling a player in the back in the final minutes of the 2010 QF which robbed us of a much needed weeks rest?

You also act like Scott has not had much talent to work with.
You do realize that as of right now, Geelong have more All Australians over the last five years than any other team in the competition. What excuses should be made this year if it all goes pear shaped?

Wow.. more All Australians over the last five years than any other club....next thing you'll be telling me that the same coach who managed the development of those AA's also has the highest winning percentage of games coached than any other...ever...
...and in the age of equalization kept his team playing finals in all but one year for more than a decade...

Sign that guy up now before Carlton nab him...

oh wait...

Wow.. more All Australians over the last five years than any other club....next thing you'll be telling me that the same coach who managed the development of those AA's also has the highest winning percentage of games coached than any other...ever...
...and in the age of equalization kept his team playing finals in all but one year for more than a decade...

oh wait...
It's pretty grating though when people point to every metric of success except the one that matters? Nobody is questioning Scott's ability to win home and away games, or to generate AA players. They're questioning his ability to win flags.

It's pretty grating though when people point to every metric of success except the one that matters? Nobody is questioning Scott's ability to win home and away games, or to generate AA players. They're questioning his ability to win flags.

He has one..but yes, he needs at least another GF and another cup to establish himself and end any debate about his place.

I do think he is one of the three greatest coaches this club has ever had, along with Hickey and Thompson, and for what he has done for this club I also think he deserves another Cup....but that is to be seen.

I know we both hope he gets it.

Wow he’s 1 behind Thompson and given two of the prelims he’s lost have been by a kick to Hawthorn with From memory Chapman and Enright both missing, and another against Richmond without the team’s most important player that we were actually dominating for a half, and factoring in the players he has had available compared to the players Thompson had at his disposal, is that in ANY way some sort of definitive argument for Thompson over Scott?
Yes Thompson 2 flags and Scott 1.

plus thompson built a side from nothing (a complete basket case when he got them) whereas Scott started with the best team in the land and has then continually head hunted players to keep the team up the top at the expense of draft picks. The 2011 flag is as much Thompson’s as it is scotts. Scott fans don’t like it well just suck it up. It’s the truth.

Apparently prelim losses are better then grand final wins. is This Scott fan drunk?

oh wait...
He also has more finals loses over the last 9 years then any other coach in the history of the game.

and recruiting Dangerfield kind of helped pump up those all Australian numbers. Hawkins and Selwood all Australians weren’t exactly developed by Scott either.

Last edited:
Superdrafts undoubtedly helped-
1999 Ling, Chappy, Corey, Boris,
2001 Bartel, Kelly, SJ, GAJ,
And nabbing Mooney and Ottens
And some handy F-S's.
Not being near the finals did have some advantages back then.
only Corey of 1999 was a decent talent. The rest were low draft picks that had to be developed.

and in 2001 only Bartel was a top 10 worthy pick. Even Ablett was probably only a twenties pick.

cam mooney was an average talent and took many years to come good.

ottens thé one and only big signing under Thompson (unless we count Justin Murphy).

scotts had half a dozen big signings and many top ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Thompson 2 flags and Scott 1.

plus thompson built a side from nothing (a complete basket case when he got them) whereas Scott started with the best team in the land and has then continually head hunted players to keep the team up the top at the expense of draft picks. The 2011 flag is as much Thompson’s as it is scotts. Scott fans don’t like it well just suck it up. It’s the truth.

Can you stop saying he started with the best team. He didn’t. He started with the third best team.

Can you stop saying he started with the best team. He didn’t. He started with the third best team.

And a team that was reportedly on the decline

Caro Wilson has linked CScott to Collingwood at least twice on Footy Classified..... we will see what she says now
It's no surprise he has been linked to geelong, considering he is already here.

But I really can't see wtf Caro is talking about with Scott to Collingwood. He's contracted here for next year. He can't just break a contract and go to collingwood can he?

It's no surprise he has been linked to geelong, considering he is already here.

But I really can't see wtf Caro is talking about with Scott to Collingwood. He's contracted here for next year. He can't just break a contract and go to collingwood can he?

If he wanted to ..gfc would let him out as they did with Ayres. The contract is only security for CS imo.

Wrong. He had the best talent. We just hadn’t employed the right game plan the year before. Which the players have admitted was due to their fault.

Plus even ignoring the fact the game plan needEd to be rejigged we were still probably the equal of any team. Lot of luck goes into winning flags as well. We don’t get Mooney dubious push in the back call in the qualifying final we probably win the flag comfortably.

This is the kind of thing only a football nerd like me cares about, but I hope Buckley returns to coaching purely so that Scott can fulfil his pursuit of a quirky head-to-head coaching record accomplishment that no other coach in history has come close to doing (at least from this kind of sample size) which is the achievement of a 50% or better record against every single person he's coached against. Buckley is currently the only coach Scott has a losing record against, but Scott was VERY close to getting their head to head back to 50% (if we'd beaten a Buckley-coached Collingwood in our next game, that would have been enough).

Scott has a winning (better than 50%) record against 38/42 coaches he's faced and an even record (50%) against 3/42.

Chris Scott head to head record against other coaches:

Don't even remind me of that. Shocking shoddy umpiring that night. Was pretty wet too from memory.
Horrendous call. Every round you see 3-4 of those not paid and it STILL GRINDS MY GEARS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back