Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

H

For clarity, how do you draw that conclusion from that post?
I got the impression it was a joke saying, you’re not that good mate - your manager had to work his bum off to get you more than you deserve.
In a joking way - they seem to rip the piss out of each other in a friendly way form playing together in the twos for years.
To me it clearly says that Durdin thinks 2 years was a great outcome for Ben, which would suggest the club wanted more, but the manager stuck to his guns.

To me it clearly says that Durdin thinks 2 years was a great outcome for Ben, which would suggest the club wanted more, but the manager stuck to his guns.
How? Other than looking at good news and assuming the worst?

Also, so what? In two years tarrant is 34 and ben is the first picked defender. Should we try to short change him now so that he's stuck being underpayed?

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Super stoked! Only slight worry is that this new 2 year deal takes him to free agent status.
I’m not, it pretty much lines up with all the draftees his age..
he has had a super year but it’s the first year he has been playing consistently..
love to have him locked up for longer but I’m sure he and the club have backed him for a strong 18m and hopefully a large pay increase.

Last edited:
Perhaps it was just the act of a gracious man?

I might just underestimate the pettiness of some of you folks at times.

I think i've seen enough to suggest you don't :D

fwiw - to me it was just a nice comment.

It is likely though he and his manager are backing him into come back for a big boost after he has settled in and playing at this level year on year - that's pretty common.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One thing I love about Ben is he takes marks in genuine one on one contests. Lever, May, Harris, Weitering are all excellent defenders but take most of their marks floating in on the intercept. Ben doesn't tend to intercept much but just straight up manhandles or reads the play better than a guy he is jostling with.

How? Other than looking at good news and assuming the worst?

Also, so what? In two years tarrant is 34 and ben is the first picked defender. Should we try to short change him now so that he's stuck being underpayed?

So what? I never said it was a huge problem. Just said the club would have wanted longer.

But it goes without saying that to extend key players in their prime cap space alone isn’t enough. You also need to attract some other recruits to show we are going somewhere and we need to be on the rise.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing I love about Ben is he takes marks in genuine one on one contests. Lever, May, Harris, Weitering are all excellent defenders but take most of their marks floating in on the intercept. Ben doesn't tend to intercept much but just straight up manhandles or reads the play better than a guy he is jostling with.

This would suggest that in the modern game he could be more suited to a forward role

Mjs94

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Super stoked! Only slight worry is that this new 2 year deal takes him to free agent status.
It is starting to become the norm for players to want to have the leverage of FA in their negotiations which is fair enough

This would suggest that in the modern game he could be more suited to a forward role

But where would Harry play when he comes over... ;) :D

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I just had a look at his draft profile and LOL'd so hard.

Deficiencies:
Offensive game, kicking, positioning, disposal efficiency.

And his player comparison?

Cale Hooker. What in the actual f-...

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Durdin ❌
Nielsen ❌
Vickers-Willis ❌
McKay ✅

Took him 4 goes and 4x1st/2nd rounders, but he got there in the end. I’m glade he was persistent tbh.
Harsh to mark him down for EVW imo. Showed a lot of good things prior to his argument with a goal post.

Back