Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

5 km is less risk than 25km is less risk than 75km is less risk than no limit.
So then explain why bother at all increasing the limit to 25km? It is a nonsense limit, a 'Clayton's easing of restriction'. And why introduce something without telling us why? Because they know it is a meaningless change.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
So then explain why bother at all increasing the limit to 25km? It is a nonsense limit, a 'Clayton's easing of restriction'. And why introduce something without telling us why? Because they know it is a meaningless change.
Because 25km is a far more accomodating limit than 10km. There are many more things I can do in the 25km from my house compared to 10km, and I'm sure most people can say the same thing.

I just explained to you why they are rumoured to be going to 25km.

You said it is to stop me from travelling into regional Victoria. Are you from the government? I want to hear the government tell me why, for example, I cannot see family on the Peninsula because that is more than 25km but is still part of 'Melbourne'.

Because 25km is a far more accomodating limit than 10km. There are many more things I can do in the 25km from my house compared to 10km, and I'm sure most people can say the same thing.
So what you are saying is that we will still be in Lockdown in Melbourne. We just won't call it that will we? And must we bow and express our sincere gratitude to this government for being so "accommodating"?

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
So what you are saying is that we will still be in Lockdown in Melbourne. We just won't call it that will we? And must we bow and express our sincere gratitude to this government for being so "accommodating"?
The generally accepted definition for 'lockdown' is when can only leave home for specific reasons. So if that leaves, no we will no longer be in lockdown. Tight restrictions yes, lockdown no.
Personally I would prefer to stay in lockdown until we can get to restrictions at a level like masks only in large shopping centres, 50% crowds at the footy, local sport gathering limit ~1000. Those are the three things I'm looking forward to most and I would go through a longer lockdown to get to that a week earlier.
But I know this isn't just about me so I'm not going to throw the toys out of the cot because I'm not getting exactly what I want.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Still would have liked to see at least 1-2 guests at your house per day within the 25km.. it’s still pretty much a lockdown if you’re not going out to a cafe or restaurant. The main thing people would miss would be seeing family but I guess they can do so at a park. Not complaining but I still think they’re worried about people abusing it over the long weekend which I know some will. If 3-4 extra days of tight restrictions means I can go to the footy sooner then so be it.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Still would have liked to see at least 1-2 guests at your house per day within the 25km.. it’s still pretty much a lockdown if you’re not going out to a cafe or restaurant. The main thing people would miss would be seeing family but I guess they can do so at a park. Not complaining but I still think they’re worried about people abusing it over the long weekend which I know some will. If 3-4 extra days of tight restrictions means I can go to the footy sooner then so be it.
That's pretty fair

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
On a side note - does anyone know what is happening now with HQ in VIC? I’m assuming it’s same plans and now waiting for the new facility? Merlino is really pushing this but after the latest news about another leak, are there any new updates on more fixes etc?

The generally accepted definition for 'lockdown' is when can only leave home for specific reasons. So if that leaves, no we will no longer be in lockdown. Tight restrictions yes, lockdown no.
Collins dictionary updated the definition of 'lockdown' at the end of 2020. Lockdown is defined as "the imposition of stringent restrictions on travel, social interaction, and access to public spaces". So we will still be in lockdown.

Personally I would prefer to stay in lockdown until we can get to restrictions at a level like masks only in large shopping centres, 50% crowds at the footy, local sport gathering limit ~1000. Those are the three things I'm looking forward to most and I would go through a longer lockdown to get to that a week earlier.
But I know this isn't just about me so I'm not going to throw the toys out of the cot because I'm not getting exactly what I want.
If you got you wanted, i.e., remain in lockdown "until we can get to restrictions at a level like masks only in large shopping centres, 50% crowds at the footy, local sport gathering limit ~1000", we will be waiting a long, long time, particularly when the government's strategy is ELIMINATION. Clearly, you aren't impacted work/income wise?

May 22, 2014
Punt Rd to Goodison Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton
Then why introduce 25km and not keep it at 5 or 10km? It makes no sense.

How is it that you can see no wrong in this government? You just accept every decision it makes even though we are given no explanations.

I’m sick of being treated like a mushroom
I've been travelling outside my zone this whole entire time, too many cars for the cops to enforce the rule because unless they actually pull you over they won't know if your going to work, school or whatever.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Collins dictionary updated the definition of 'lockdown' at the end of 2020. Lockdown is defined as "the imposition of stringent restrictions on travel, social interaction, and access to public spaces". So we will still be in lockdown.

If you got you wanted, i.e., remain in lockdown "until we can get to restrictions at a level like masks only in large shopping centres, 50% crowds at the footy, local sport gathering limit ~1000", we will be waiting a long, long time, particularly when the government's strategy is ELIMINATION. Clearly, you aren't impacted work/income wise?
It was less than a month between the end of the last lockdown and the freedoms I outlined.

It was less than a month between the end of the last lockdown and the freedoms I outlined.
Hope you're right this time.

I doubt we will see anything more than 50% crowds at AFL games in Melbourne and Geelong for the remainder of 2021, so that begs the question - will the AFL keep the GF at the MCG or go interstate again.

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I doubt we will see anything more than 50% crowds at AFL games in Melbourne and Geelong for the remainder of 2021, so that begs the question - will the AFL keep the GF at the MCG or go interstate again.

Mate if we’re still at 50% come September or even august.. this state has big issues.

Mate if we’re still at 50% come September or even august.. this state has big issues.
It's going to be a tough sell. We only got to 75% before Lockdown 4.0 and Delta strain hadn't been seen or heard of in Australia up to that point.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

With no transmission occurring at AFL matches despite cases attending, I think that will in fact strengthen the case for uncapped crowds.

With no transmission occurring at AFL matches despite cases attending, I think that will in fact strengthen the case for uncapped crowds.
That will make a mockery of the much hyped concepts of fleeting transmissions and stranger to stranger transmission. We did have the feared train transmission following the game at Marvel(?).

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That will make a mockery of the much hyped concepts of fleeting transmissions and stranger to stranger transmission. We did have the feared train transmission following the game at Marvel(?).
Fleeting transmission isn't new. The experts have said that recently.

Why the government used emotive language around it now as if it was a new thing is strange. It's always been a thing

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Why the government used emotive language around it now as if it was a new thing is strange. It's always been a thing

Fear Mongering. They were worried about this outbreak so needed to justify their decisions with bigger and more colourful words.

Open the roof at marvel and let us in. As well as the G.
Masks required when walking to train stations and on public transport to get home.

We need to put that question to the likes of harrythetiger and The 747

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
25km radius doesn't make that much of a difference to most people especially when you can't visit another household.

It worked relatively well in September last year when you could visit other people outdoors.
There was plenty of people who met up in parks on grand final day for example (think it was up to 10 with masks on) but the weather was far more accommodating then whereas now you'd pretty much want to dress up like an eskimo if you wanted to meet up with people outdoors over the next few days.

To me it seems like they are extending it to 25km & having no household visitors is to softly encourage people to meet with others in a hospitality setting to 'soften the blow' to an industry that has taken an absolute beating over the last fortnight.
It's probably also to encourage people to dine at restaurants in the CBD in a covid safe manner.

If that's the case I get the theory behind it but I don't think it will be that successful.

Like others have said it's basically a watered down version of a 'lockdown' due to inclement weather unless your willing to meet up with others in a restaurant.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
You're arguing we either stay in lockdown constantly or never go into lockdown? Like there's no difference between no known cases in the community and 50 known cases in the community. That's the vibe I'm getting.

"When we we had cases x was not ok. Why is that ok when we have no cases?"

Back