Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Part 2 of this thread is here:

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Buckley stepping down, Carlton could do a lot worse.

Pretty decent record

As much as it pains me to say it but I reckon Buckley is coaching better now than he ever has. He should have a year off and rest up before going to a new club, I also reckon he will do really well elsewhere away from the Eddie/Pies conundrum.

KnaveyBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2003
57 Mt. Pleasant Street
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chicago Bears
Carlton on paper should have one of the better back 6s in the league:

FB: Saad - Weitering - Plowman
HB: Docherty - Jones - Williams

The problem is only two of that list are natural defenders - Plowman and Weitering. The rest are naturally attacking players in defensive positions.

Every Carlton game is the same - the other four zoom off attacking or leaving their man to impact the contest or ball-watching in the hope they'll get it, and when the turnover inevitably comes Plowman and Weitering are left trying to hold up the dam wall by themselves.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yerp with Collingwood officially on the hunt and will absolutely sound out clarko and Ross ,I’ll be amazed if carlton don’t s**t the bed and sack Teague now- plus there’s enough “noise” and goings on (reviews, potential EGM) that they can scapegoat him with.

fun times!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you're an assistant coach at a current successful club and had to choose between Carlton or Collingwood, which one would you choose?

Obviously Carlton has more talent but the culture is quite rotten, whereas Collingwood and their youngsters are very raw but in the middle of a cleanout.

Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
The problem is only two of that list are natural defenders - Plowman and Weitering. The rest are naturally attacking players in defensive positions.

Every Carlton game is the same - the other four zoom off attacking or leaving their man to impact the contest or ball-watching in the hope they'll get it, and when the turnover inevitably comes Plowman and Weitering are left trying to hold up the dam wall by themselves.
Saad is a gun lockdown defender. He just prefers not to do it.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
If you're an assistant coach at a current successful club and had to choose between Carlton or Collingwood, which one would you choose?

Obviously Carlton has more talent but the culture is quite rotten, whereas Collingwood and their youngsters are very raw but in the middle of a cleanout.

Collingwood IMO.

Seems they're ready and pushing for a change and a fresh voice. No Eddie either.

Carlton seem like they're not quite there yet. Any new coach at Carlton would be under pressure to make the current list work to win right now.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton

Collingwood. They have their lean years but they always bounce back up, overall a good club.

We on the other hand are still a bit of a rabble - despite our superior list on paper.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Bullshit. What are the players supposed to say? They're employees of the club, not in a ******* prison war.

Sayers: Boys, as you know pretty big review coming up, where do you think we start with you guys? What's most important?
Player: Mate, fu** off! We're going just fine here. Take your review elsewhere.
Sayers: Well we're 4-8 and 14th on the ladder, just trying to help
Player: As I said, bugger off.

All we know is that Sayers had an informal chat to some senior players and they admitted confusion around the game plan - the information is vague at best. How do we know they complained about Teague specifically? How do they know they flat out bagged the coaches? The comments from Leppa yesterday were pathetic, reeked of a failed senior coach with a chip on his shoulder.

More to the point- how do we know they didn't?

Any comments made by players to the incoming President should never have been leaked to the media, disgraceful in my view.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
More to the point- how do we know they didn't?

Any comments made by players to the incoming President should never have been leaked to the media, disgraceful in my view.

Poor form to leak to the media, agreed.

Leppa claiming they should be exiled and those claiming it's an awful look are misguided imo. President (boss of club) wants informal chat with player (employee), very vague comments get leaked to the media and they want to hang the blokes.

blue healer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
wagga wagga
AFL Club
Carlton
Poor form to leak to the media, agreed.

Leppa claiming they should be exiled and those claiming it's an awful look are misguided imo. President (boss of club) wants informal chat with player (employee), very vague comments get leaked to the media and they want to hang the blokes.

My theory is that the President was behind the leaks. Makes no sense for the players to do it, if Teague found who they'd struggle to get a game and if they broke the President's confidence they'd be off the list next year.

I just think they'd be dumb with a capital D to risk either scenario.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Agreed...
Looks like it's another, typical smoke and mirrors Carlton review anyway..

It's sad that Carlton supporters continue to put up with this :sadv1:
LoGuidice should stand down now and leave.. If this is a legit review, his just taken all the trust away..

ARTICLE

Teague still has a year on his contract doesn't he?

Not entirely bad if Carlton do a process that involves reviewing the football department but still back Teague as coach for the remainder of his contract. There's no doubt they need to invest in quality assistant coaches whichever way they go.

Part of that review will obviously capture elements of 'feedback' relevant to the senior coach.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood

Collingwood. We’ve had 4 coaches since 1986, Carlton 4 since 2007

I know where I’d take my chances. But yes I think Carlton has a far better base right now.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Collingwood. We’ve had 4 coaches since 1986, Carlton 4 since 2007

I know where I’d take my chances. But yes I think Carlton has a far better base right now.

Collingwood have also shown a willingness to invest in their assistant coaches. I’d hate to be a Carlton coach if they’re not going to fund a proper coaching panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back