Mod. Notice Depressed? Anxious? Call Beyond Blue (1300 224636), Lifeline (131114), resources in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) at the age of 12 ... I’m now almost 45

Over the past few months, I have been really struggling with my mental health - depression, anxiety, panic attacks ... this has affected my job & family

3 weeks ago, my best friend of over 20 years went missing ... a couple of days later, his body was found in his car in a river ... we are still waiting for the coroner to release the body so that a funeral can be held

I had the opportunity to see the Tiges train on the Gold Coast last week (moved up here from Melbourne nearly 2 years ago) ... it was a brief bright spot during a very difficult time in my life ... RFC means a lot to all of us - I lived through 35 years of us being a joke but the last 3 years have been f...ing amazing
Just came back from Goldy,caught up with an old Tiger mate who had enough of Melbourne’s weather and lives up there,6 dollar schooners at the Northcliffe Surf Club,not bad.

He loves his union ,played it and coached it at an elite level but told me he really has a regret about not going hard in Aussie Rules and playing for Richmond,born and bred in Tigerland,his uncle is Bill Durham,nice to catch up in Goldy Phil.

P.S, s**t myself going backwards on the DC Rivals coaster.

Ceehook

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
I kick off the conversation here and out of the Shane Tuck thread

How do we , as a society , fight depression and reduce suicide ?

From a government perspective Beyond Blue & Lifeline are one way
Having a national R U OK day is another

Post Fight Depression was pushing the clubs should do more ?

The trouble is the Clubs will always be focused on the future and the present

They do more these days to keep young guys busy so they don't fall into the gambling trap
most codes look to have their young guys doing part time study etc
so they will have something post football

maybe there is some more they could do as part of an AFL exit program

the highs and lows of AFL footy must be a good breeding ground for depression
especially upon exit

What should the AFL do for ex player health ?

and

What should a club do and when for ex player health ?

Waca Jr

Premiership Player
Mar 6, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Now more than ever it is important to look after your mental health in the wake of this pandemic.

Please, seek help or talk to someone if you are not coping.

The mental health effects out of this pandemic will be massive.

I have been very fortunate to keep my job through all this, but being cooped up has even had me go bat s**t crazy.

Inbox me if you need a chat. Take care amd stay safe

I just noticed that there haven’t been any posts in this thread for a very long time

How is everyone going?

I have been struggling pretty badly over the past few weeks with my OCD & panic attacks

I just noticed that there haven’t been any posts in this thread for a very long time

How is everyone going?

I have been struggling pretty badly over the past few weeks with my OCD & panic attacks
Hey mate,

good to see you reaching out and being open, has there been certain trigger points that you can identify that causes the attacks?

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
g'day damicky, been a rough year here as well, up and down like a yoyo.

Wish I could put my finger on what it is, sleep has been erratic after thinking it was ok last year. I've been keeping busy, but without much luck.

Had a week away on the Gold Coast last week with my family which helped. Hoping this trend continues as the last couple of trips I've struggled when getting home.

Hey mate,

good to see you reaching out and being open, has there been certain trigger points that you can identify that causes the attacks?

The Port game was definitely a trigger 🤣

On a serious note, there’s quite a bit of stress both at home & work

I also lost my mum in November & despite not having the best relationship, it’s affected me

It hasn’t been all bad though ... I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the 2020 GF

I just need to keep battling away

STRUGGLETOWN EST1885

The reward is in the grind
Jun 28, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Cheers, appreciate it.
Losing a loved one tests everyone. Grieve and then remember the good times is the best advice I can give, I did/do with my Dad who passed in 2015.
Day turned out OK in the end... as usual, things weren't as bad as they seemed.
Spot on mate. I also lost my dad in 2015. He was a mad Richmond man and the reason I'm a Tiger Tragic. I remember straight after the final siren in the 2017 GF grabbing my wife with tears streaming down my face and the first thing I said was "That ones for dad"

Last edited:

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Just an update guys, so I landed a job as a full time casual before my wife gave birth and I quite enjoy the work although money has become extra tight with the mortgage and has put a bit of pressure on me.

Permanent full time isn't an option until September and even then I still wouldn't be on as much to help support the family.

Had a zoom interview and got offered the job for more money... BUT something didn't feel right, I spoke to my wife and she could tell I wasn't convinced and even though we could use the money, happiness is key... I got my old man's opinion and he said the same and so long I can put food on the table, everything else will be fine and even agreed whilst my pay isn't enough to support, I'll always have help.

Big step and lesson for me and whilst it drained me mentally, I felt good about it all and at ease

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
For those interested, there is a lot of ground breaking trials going on at the moment and the below is just one. From what I'm being told, this should be available around the end of the year.

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
For those interested, there is a lot of ground breaking trials going on at the moment and the below is just one. From what I'm being told, this should be available around the end of the year.

Thanks for sharing mate, I can't relate cause I do believe I don't have depression but a bit of anxiety... reason I say is that I do get some joys out of life and don't wake up feeling life is a drag and not need any medication, glad I watched this though

Jun 26, 2007
Newcastle
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Avalanche, Nuggets
Thanks for sharing mate, I can't relate cause I do believe I don't have depression but a bit of anxiety... reason I say is that I do get some joys out of life and don't wake up feeling life is a drag and not need any medication, glad I watched this though
GLad to hear you're self aware.

Another new technology starting to be utilised more in Australia is TMS, they're using it for Depression, Anxiety and Tinnitus. Hopefully I'll be trying this soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Struggling a bit financially which sucks, esp when you're the provider for the Mrs and little one... applying for jobs in logistics (been doing it 13 years) and not getting any luck... remaining positive but sleepless nights causing a bit of grief... parents stated they will help support which is great but the pride in me wants to do this myself

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Struggling a bit financially which sucks, esp when you're the provider for the Mrs and little one... applying for jobs in logistics (been doing it 13 years) and not getting any luck... remaining positive but sleepless nights causing a bit of grief... parents stated they will help support which is great but the pride in me wants to do this myself

Chinup mate the tide will turn positive vibes the wife and little one feed off you.Always talk to friend when your down and remember the grass will turn greener.

Not much posts in here of late hope all a well tiger cubs.

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Chinup mate the tide will turn positive vibes the wife and little one feed off you.Always talk to friend when your down and remember the grass will turn greener.

Not much posts in here of late hope all a well tiger cubs.
Thanks heaps legend, I'm doing well and so is the family. Had an interview today which went very well so maybe the tide is turning.

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Going thru a bit of a struggle with work all of a sudden.
The friend that got me the job for some reason is trying to get me the ass for no one reason. The directors even called me after I complained to HR and said in a nice way to let it go.

It's causing me a bit if grief but I'm not letting it bring me down

Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
I find a good way of not worrying about work, the politics, situations, etc, is to have a very active life outside of work. It allows far less emphasis on work, because you're so busy outside of work,and that improves your mental well-being.

Exercise is severly underrated as a mental treatment method. Make sure you're getting outside and going for a walk, lifting weights, going for a run, walk the dog, etc.

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I find a good way of not worrying about work, the politics, situations, etc, is to have a very active life outside of work. It allows far less emphasis on work, because you're so busy outside of work,and that improves your mental well-being.

Exercise is severly underrated as a mental treatment method. Make sure you're getting outside and going for a walk, lifting weights, going for a run, walk the dog, etc.
I found a new job at a much bigger place in which they called me as they had my resume... so much more professional

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey guys

Just checking into see how we r all doing... I've hit a bit of a brick wall and not doing too good mentally... feeling pressure of work and always doubting myself... I want to leave but I can't keep changing jobs all the time... financially I'm struggling a bit also and everything is keeping me up at night.

I try to focus on my family and spend time but my mind is always on work and how busy it is and dealing with s**t customers.

Hey guys

Just checking into see how we r all doing... I've hit a bit of a brick wall and not doing too good mentally... feeling pressure of work and always doubting myself... I want to leave but I can't keep changing jobs all the time... financially I'm struggling a bit also and everything is keeping me up at night.

I try to focus on my family and spend time but my mind is always on work and how busy it is and dealing with s**t customers.

Hey mate, honestly life is too short to stay in a shitty job now days and it's not as frowned upon to move between jobs as it used to be.

Also it is 100% an applicants market at the moment if you are genuinely unhappy you need to look after yourself go look for something you enjoy there is no need to stay in a job that stresses you and you hate and moving jobs is the quickest way to earning better money a lot of the time, depending on what you do of course.

I feel you with the struggling financially thing as well the cost of everything is just skyrocketing and money that used to go to savings or other things now goes straight into bills.

Downtown06

Club Legend
Feb 28, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey mate, honestly life is too short to stay in a shitty job now days and it's not as frowned upon to move between jobs as it used to be.

Also it is 100% an applicants market at the moment if you are genuinely unhappy you need to look after yourself go look for something you enjoy there is no need to stay in a job that stresses you and you hate and moving jobs is the quickest way to earning better money a lot of the time, depending on what you do of course.

I feel you with the struggling financially thing as well the cost of everything is just skyrocketing and money that used to go to savings or other things now goes straight into bills.
Much love brother, appreciate the above. I'm defs looking at the moment, the key is finding the right place as well or else your back in the same situation.

Hopefully something comes up ASAP, can't deal with sleepless nights anymore

Remove this Banner Ad

Back