News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

...yes. And then finals first week of 2013 and then dropped out of view from 2014-17, getting worse every single year in the process.

Bucks took over a great side at the end of 2011, don't rewrite history.
So you're saying it's not normal for a once very good team to drop off? Guess what, hawthorn dropped off after 2015, then got worse and worse, and now they're bottom two. It's the way the cycle works.

Collingwood board are sad and will miss him.

Also on that board, they want him sacked every week.

How can you win?

I wanted a change, but I'm still sad for him. It's a bit like when a club champion retires due to age, it's the right move but still makes you a bit glum.

I'd argue he's overachieved. That grand final squad wasn't that great. You have just proven you're the one who's picking him apart and passing judgement. Not me.
So the team that won 20 games of 22 and finished with the highest percentage since 1929 didn't have that great a squad. There would have been plenty of coaching aspirants who would have given their right arm to take over such a mediocre bunch of plodders.

Judging it by merit, he has been in the job 10 years, has not won a flag and his club is near the bottom of the ladder and not looking like it is going any higher any time soon.
True, he just comes across as a great bloke though the opposite of Chris Scott.

A Dom Sheed kick away from being a Premiership Coach.

I feel like the 2018 Grand Final result has just become about Dom Sheed's kick. In reality, West Coast started to strangle Collingwood midway through the second quarter and finished all over them. They ran all over Collingwood in the last 20 minutes of the game and Jack Darling casually dropped a sitter on the goal line with seconds left.

Not true, they finished 13th which is where Collingwood finished in 2017 in his 6th season in charge

Funnily enough Buckley regressed every year (6 years up to that point) after taking over the premier list in the league whereas Hardwick took over the worst.

Apples and oranges

I mean its all trivial anyway, if Buckley stayed in charge for the rest of the year he wouldn't have got Collingwood up to 13th this year anyway
My point is - it is somewhat easier to improve from 18th, than it is to improve from second, after winning a flag the previous year, wouldn't you have thought?

The Carlton folk were back to their arrogant selves at the start of this year on the back of improving year on year for the past three seasons...

I wanted a change, but I'm still sad for him. It's a bit like when a club champion retires due to age, it's the right move but still makes you a bit glum.
But that board have hunted him for months and now that it has finally happened they are all hurt and broken. I understand your point but its a little strange.

So the team that won 20 games of 22 and finished with the highest percentage since 1929 didn't have that great a squad. There would have been plenty of coaching aspirants who would have given their right arm to take over such a mediocre bunch of plodders.
Ye on paper id say that's a massive overacheivement with the players he had

I feel like the 2018 Grand Final result has just become about Dom Sheed's kick. In reality, West Coast started to strangle Collingwood midway through the second quarter and finished all over them. They ran all over Collingwood in the last 20 minutes of the game and Jack Darling casually dropped a sitter on the goal line with seconds left.

Yep. Pies started super hot and kicked some crazy goals but then Simpson went to work and thoroughly out coached Bucks.

Alaistair Clarkson has never won Coach Of The Year.

Does this, in turn, make him a failure? If this is your way of measuring success?

What a sham prize that is.

If it was awarded properly, Clarkson would have a mantelpiece full of those.

Buckley is a decent coach, better than average I would say. This won't be the last we see of him coaching.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's the pack mentality of society who have dictated this. That's my point. It's a trend to hate on high profile/controvercial people and ride them into the ground.

Without the constant pressure he'd probably still be coach, and his job will be judged by the board on merit. Not by society.
Maybe it's time to put down the crystal pistol hey?

Not everything is a conspiracy or media driven, cancel culture agenda. You are constantly parading this s**t around these forums.

Bucks' defensive game plan was stale. Completely tedious to watch. Results on the slide. Questionable player handling during the off-season. Club is about to embark on a rebuild. Pretty obvious exit point really. With everything else going on at the club, most people saw it as the time for Bucks to move on this year.

They certainly didnt need the media telling them that. All you had to do was watch the games and look at the results. He was done.

Took over a 22-3 team
2012 17W-8L
2013 14W-9L
2014 11W-11L
2015 10W-12L
2016 9W-13L
2017 9W-12L-1D
2018 17W-9L
2019 16W-8L
2020 10W-8L-1D
2021 3W-9L

one season out of 10 where the team showed significant improvement shows Buckley was very lucky to last this long.
what am i missing ? thought it was 22 games/season

(ahh...Finals included ?)

Last edited:
I'd argue he's overachieved. That grand final squad wasn't that great. You have just proven you're the one who's picking him apart and passing judgement. Not me.
I said he largely under-achieved...he took a premiership winning squad and regressed every year for six years. He then moulded his own squad, so if it wasn't that great, that's on him. He potentially over-achieved for a couple of years before once again falling away. That record simply isn't good enough to continue into a second decade. This isn't a conspiracy.

pretty simplistic take, you have no idea what’s going on behind the scenes. You’re trying to shoe some semblance of cancel culture into this debate when there is nothing of sort to be found.
Guess what, so doesnt anyone else. Yet they're doing very well coming to conclusions as to what's happening behind the scenes. I can see very clear what's happening Infront of the scenes and that's what I'm commenting on.

So you're saying it's not normal for a once very good team to drop off? Guess what, hawthorn dropped off after 2015, then got worse and worse, and now they're bottom two. It's the way the cycle works.
Or Geelong up for 10 years and nothing to show for it.

so it is okay for coach to keep his job as long as the team shows significant improvement in one season out of 10.

Was pretty surprised to see this was happening. I think its the best thing for the pies - they needed a full reset from top to bottom and its occurred. Bucks did a pretty good job overall but a change was needed. Definitely liked him a lot as a coach alot more than a player (where he was a champion but a FIGJAM) and the way he handled himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back