News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson or Lyon? Carlton pondering the demise of Teague? The Buckley announcement has "tapped on the shoulder" written all over it. The trade period was a disaster and Bucks was hung out to dry. Goes to show, no club should sign 7 year deals with any player, no matter who they are. The Pies have acted swiftly knowing something's up in the potential coaching ranks? Maybe Harvey will get the top job? Maybe he might still get the Saints gig? Lots of maybe's in footy at the moment, one thing is for certain the Pies want a high profile, no beginner coach to take the helm. Who is the powerbroker at Collingwood?
Wow. Picking Ross Lyon would be a mistake. I can't see Collingwood adopting a Ross Lyon style of defensive football.

Feel sorry for him, think he's been harshly treated since he made a grand final only back in 2018.

But on the other hand there is still a good number of years to rebuild Collingwood and whether he has the energy and a new voice is required to get them back up the top. Similar situation to Clarko at Hawthorn, I'd be happy for Buckley to come to Hawthorn as a senior assistant to Sam Mitchell if the cards fell that way.

The s**t that he put Treloar through I have zero sympathy for the guy

He has been a great servant of the footy club.

Truly believe the guy can coach.

Got the best out of the list he had at the time and reckon he would have had a flag of his own if he wasn’t so insistent in blowing up the side when he took over.

Should be a head coach again.
Not sure he could be an assistant that isn’t calling the shots, but would be a great asset to a club if he could play that role.

Reckon Collingwood want first dibs on a coach (Lyon, Clarkson, Mitchell, Kingsley?) before Carlton or another club have an opening.
I don’t think he will go to another club in any role,loves Collingwood.

Buckley was only a few points away from having a premiership in 7 years. Give him a bit of respect for it. Had Sheed not kicked that goal he'd be a premiership coach. With that bit of luck would you all of a sudden have respect for him? He's be the exact same bloke and coach with or without the accolade. It's not the be all and end all.

You have your chance, you take it. It's not about respect anyway, this is about a future and job security of the entire football department, which you have trivialized by prioritizing arbitrary things such as respect and coulda, woulda, shoulda's - which is ironic because;

All I'm doing is observing the way our society is dictating the job security of the whole league

Instead of seeing it for what it should be - eventual data and common sense, two of which were out of the window in the reasons leading up to Buckley's inauguration as coach to begin with.

My point is - it is somewhat easier to improve from 18th, than it is to improve from second, after winning a flag the previous year, wouldn't you have thought?

The Carlton folk were back to their arrogant selves at the start of this year on the back of improving year on year for the past three seasons...
We only wanted to be better than Collingwood, which we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In this day & age I have no idea why people still call for Lyon to coach again. He had a sexual harassment issue against him. That should ring alarm bells immediately. He’s decisive, has the in crowd & others on the outer. Never successfully rebuilt a side. He’s yesterday’s coulda been champ.

Wow. Picking Ross Lyon would be a mistake. I can't see Collingwood adopting a Ross Lyon style of defensive football.

Go look at the scores/margins St Kilda put up over 08-10 and you will see the "Ross Lyon = Ultra defensive" theory is patently false. Same with Freos peak.

When he had the players his style lead to some pretty great wins.

For whatever reason the players just couldn't execute in Grand Finals.

If the Pies (or Blues) buy in to what he is selling then they could get a few pretty good years out of both lists. Carlton in a better position to strike.

Not a long term sustainable style though so give him 6 years - 2 to train it, 2 to build on it, 2 to launch for a flag - Then move on.

In this day & age I have no idea why people still call for Lyon to coach again. He had a sexual harassment issue against him. That should ring alarm bells immediately. He’s decisive, has the in crowd & others on the outer. Never successfully rebuilt a side. He’s yesterday’s coulda been champ.

First of all, that was an accusation by one individual. And said accusation was withdrawn.

And to be honest, how long as Lyon been in the system for? And one person comes forward with an accusation and we do not take into consideration a person's vast track record?

If we ran the world exclusively on accusations and assumed the worst for all of them, then this world would have been thrown in chaos a long time ago.

Go look at the scores/margins St Kilda put up over 08-10 and you will see the "Ross Lyon = Ultra defensive" theory is patently false. Same with Freos peak.

If the Pies (or Blues) buy in to what he is selling then they could get a few pretty good years out of both lists. Carlton in a better position to strike.

Not a long term sustainable style though so give him 6 years - 2 to train it, 2 to build on it, 2 to launch for a flag - Then move on.
People are obsessed with bagging Ross, play the last 5 minutes of his grand finals again and he probably ends up with a flag if not 2. Apparently a unlucky bounce or toe poke defines him as a good coach. Had his teams in winning positions end of story

Not sure you remember those seasons as I do.
Yes there were some big wins but that had more to do with playing s**t teams at the time.
I don't recall many pretty great wins over the better teams, though there may have been a few here and there.

First of all, that was an accusation by one individual. And said accusation was withdrawn.

And to be honest, how long as Lyon been in the system for? And one person comes forward with an accusation and we do not take into consideration a person's vast track record?

If we ran the world exclusively on accusations and assumed the worst for all of them, then this world would have been thrown in chaos a long time ago.
When it comes to sexual harassment one accusation is enough. Do you only take it serious if there’s 4 or 5 or 6 accusations? Secondly why was it withdrawn?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back