eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
4D2D6325-E99E-44E7-ACB4-CFC83CCE8E19.jpeg
388211D8-179A-4A9F-A7DB-D8CF12493BA0.jpeg
Hello all and welcome back to another exciting year for potential AFL draftees, this thread will be dedicated to all things draft in 2021 and beyond. Be on the lookout for player notes, rankings and a rolling mock draft which have become a staple and as always I’m happy to answer any draft questions you may have.

Last edited:

Hey eDPS have any of the Vic kids who missed out on the 2019 U16 Vic Metro squad climbed in to your top 20?

I remember you and Pie 4 Life mentioning there were some very unlucky kids to miss out on the Vic metro team back then, because of the depth of talent amongst the Vic metro kids.

Hey eDPS have any of the Vic kids who missed out on the 2019 U16 Vic Metro squad climbed in to your top 20?

I remember you and Pie 4 Life mentioning there were some very unlucky kids to miss out on the Vic metro team back then, because of the depth of talent amongst the Vic metro kids.
Callaghan and Darcy but Callaghan was injured I believe.

A few players impressed me in the trials Joel Fitzgerald, Max Thompson, Luca Anderson and Paul Curtis. I thought they were unlucky at the time but not to say I didn’t think the players who did make it weren’t deserved either.

Only his measurements from last year, AFL has been stingy on giving out testing info this year. 185cm and 73kg was his last official measurements.

Certainly looks about right. I like him, he's been one of the most consistent SA players over the last couple of years. It'd be good to see him step up a level and be given a more defensive role - playing on the opposition small/medium forwards would be his go at AFL. Hopefully he gets that chance at the Champs, show he has the agility and mindset to do the role. Because he's shown the ability to find the ball and distribute it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly looks about right. I like him, he's been one of the most consistent SA players over the last couple of years. It'd be good to see him step up a level and be given a more defensive role - playing on the opposition small/medium forwards would be his go at AFL. Hopefully he gets that chance at the Champs, show he has the agility and mindset to do the role. Because he's shown the ability to find the ball and distribute it.
He has some comparisons to Dumesny which might be to his detriment, great user or the ball and smart decision maker but I have queries on his athleticism. Championships will be a good indicator for him

Any thoughts on the Northern boys? Would love to see your thoughts on 19 year olds Joel Trudgedon and Josh Watson, always rated Trudgedon albeit a bit slow but an absolute bull who looks a ready made midfielder while was surprised to see Watson getting attention last year, quick and all but can’t kick and a bit underdeveloped I thought. And the top agers this year, Wilmott I rate pretty highly but I’m surprised to see you don’t have Ned Long on here? Seems to be dominant enough to justify a top 20 conversation and his 192cm frame makes him a real interesting prospect. Also Josh Ward? Was an absolute freak from what I remember but haven’t really heard much of him this year, is he on your radar?

It's funny how people see things differently cause if he gets there I'll give it away. Too slow, never really see him win contested footy. In-between size and the very definition of a player who should never be measured by stats (a third are accumlated kicking in). Just zero chance IMHO. Unless you are Powell or Jackson it ain't how many but how and I am not sure I have ever seen him win a how that impressed me or made me think yeah ok.

It's funny how people see things differently cause if he gets there I'll give it away. Too slow, never really see him win contested footy. In-between size and the very definition of a player who should never be measured by stats (a third are accumlated kicking in). Just zero chance IMHO. Unless you are Powell or Jackson it ain't how many but how and I am not sure I have ever seen him win a how that impressed me or made me think yeah ok.

Maybe that’s the trick. SA has had plenty of contested ball winners go undrafted the last few years.

I’m not saying he’s a high pick, if he even gets picked. But I reckon he’s better than some of the names you see get mentioned on this board.

I was going to PM you, but decided this guy isn't getting enough attention on this board. Do you have a height and weight for Matt Dnistriansky?

According to an SANFL contact, Matt Dnistriansky's last official measured height/weight was with the SA AFL Hub in December 2020 where he was 187cm and 74kg. May have grown since then/is still growing - not sure.

I have watched about half the Norwood 18s games this season and he usually matches up against a tall across the half back line, although over the last couple of weeks I have seen him have some time in the midfield. Seems to play well on taller opponents down back and appears to have long arms to assist with that. At the next level I can see him matching up against an opposition's third tall and medium sized forwards. Seems to have a good balance between defence and attack.

Maybe that’s the trick. SA has had plenty of contested ball winners go undrafted the last few years.

I’m not saying he’s a high pick, if he even gets picked. But I reckon he’s better than some of the names you see get mentioned on this board.

Yes very true except I think the how still applies to contested ball winners. If that is all you do and you can't win it on the outside you better be ridiculously elite at it. So the how you do it is relevant to you only being able to win it one way if that's the case.

According to an SANFL contact, Matt Dnistriansky's last official measured height/weight was with the SA AFL Hub in December 2020 where he was 187cm and 74kg. May have grown since then/is still growing - not sure.

I have watched about half the Norwood 18s games this season and he usually matches up against a tall across the half back line, although over the last couple of weeks I have seen him have some time in the midfield. Seems to play well on taller opponents down back and appears to have long arms to assist with that. At the next level I can see him matching up against an opposition's third tall and medium sized forwards. Seems to have a good balance between defence and attack.

Again I just can't see a world where he can compete athletically with any third talls I can think of. Just too slow and not agile at all. I've been wrong before though as wasn't sold on Poulter and that is looking plenty stupid.

Yes very true except I think the how still applies to contested ball winners. If that is all you do and you can't win it on the outside you better be ridiculously elite at it. So the how you do it is relevant to you only being able to win it one way if that's the case.
The word they use around the SANFL junior traps now is weapon - what’s your weapon? What sets you apart.

Now as I understand it that could be anything like

Pace
Elite kick
Intercept marker
Endurance
Contested ball
Goal sense
Outside run and carry

Thdse seem to be most often talked about.

Maybe the lad isn’t a contested ball beast - but what’s the weapon he’s bringing? I think with this lad it’s elite foot skills - a half back distributor.

Not every kid has to be a contested ball beast do they?

The word they use around the SANFL junior traps now is weapon - what’s your weapon? What sets you apart.

Now as I understand it that could be anything like

Pace
Elite kick
Intercept marker
Endurance
Contested ball
Goal sense
Outside run and carry

Thdse seem to be most often talked about.

Maybe the lad isn’t a contested ball beast - but what’s the weapon he’s bringing? I think with this lad it’s elite foot skills - a half back distributor.

Not every kid has to be a contested ball beast do they?
This the language that has been used at the Lions since Chris Fagan arrived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back