WA to host the GF?

Should WA host this years Grand Final?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL contract with the MCC has been modified previously, such as allowing Preliminary Finals to be played in the state of the higher ranked team, and the number of finals guaranteed to be played at the MCG, and how much money the MCC gives to the AFL teams etc.

It would be nice if the AFL could renegotiate the contract again, I’m not sure what incentive they could give to the MCC and the Vic Gov, but on this occasion to allow the Grand Final to be rotated on a 6 year basis between the big five states.

I go 6 years to try and appease Victoria who would get to host twice as often as every other state. With the rotation looking something like:

Year 1: MCG
Year 2: Sydney
Year 3: Adelaide
Year 4: MCG
Year 5: Brisbane
Year 6: Perth
Year 7: repeat

I’m a big fan of Adelaide Oval. Perth or Adelaide would be fine.

Knowing the AFL, it’ll be in Sydney.
Maybe if they still had access to the Olympic Stadium. But in some ways Perth suits them better now, can schedule the game for 5pm Perth time, so played under lights and in prime time for Eastern States viewers.

The BigFooty bubble of Western Australian supporters is a lot further removed from general sentiment on the matter than they think.

I cannot see the Grand Final leaving the MCG in anything other than extreme circumstances in our lifetimes.

There is something special about sport having a 'home' that is lost if you start rotating big events. Cricket: playing a test at Lords still means something. In footy - running out onto the MCG on grand final day is still the dream. Yes, traditions change and evolve with time, but this one is deeply entrenched, and not just contractually.

I honestly reckon there is more chance of Western Australia leaving the Federation than there is WA hosting the GF as part of a 'rotation' that also takes in every other state...

WA shouldn't be allowed to host any major sporting events while hard border McGowan is premier.

As a Queenslander, I already find it bad enough that WA will have a state of origin game next year after repeatedly telling us Queenslanders and also people from New South Wales that we weren't welcome.

If the Grand Final can't be at the MCG, the next best option is Stadium Australia in Sydney. NSW should be rewarded for having a sensible open border policy, and Stadium Australia can fit more than Perth Stadium anyway.
Pity it is no longer configured to permit an oval shaped playing field.

The BigFooty bubble of Western Australian supporters is a lot further removed from general sentiment on the matter than they think.

I cannot see the Grand Final leaving the MCG in anything other than extreme circumstances in our lifetimes.

There is something special about sport having a 'home' that is lost if you start rotating big events. Cricket: playing a test at Lords still means something. In footy - running out onto the MCG on grand final day is still the dream. Yes, traditions change and evolve with time, but this one is deeply entrenched, and not just contractually.

I honestly reckon there is more chance of Western Australia leaving the Federation than there is WA hosting the GF as part of a 'rotation' that also takes in every other state...
Agree.
MCG prides itself on being the home of sport in Australia. Take away AFL grand final rights for every year and it’s premise dissipates immensely.

I do agree that having the grand final rotating through the states or even in the home state of the top ranked team is more ‘fair’, but that’s not the current agreement unfortunately.

The MCC holds the whip hand and I’m not sure what incentives the other states could provide to them to appease them enough to give up their contractual rights to the game every year.

Whining ‘fairness’ just doesn’t work in the commercial world.

The AFL contract with the MCC has been modified previously, such as allowing Preliminary Finals to be played in the state of the higher ranked team, and the number of finals guaranteed to be played at the MCG, and how much money the MCC gives to the AFL teams etc.

It would be nice if the AFL could renegotiate the contract again, I’m not sure what incentive they could give to the MCC and the Vic Gov, but on this occasion to allow the Grand Final to be rotated on a 6 year basis between the big five states.

I go 6 years to try and appease Victoria who would get to host twice as often as every other state. With the rotation looking something like:

This is what a lot of supporters would agree with if the AFL ever agreed to rotate the GF but the other states should have to contribute pro rata on what Victoria contributed to the AFL via Docklands and local facilities as the Vic government has. If it ever eventuated.

As for the home thing. Most in SA, WA or Sydney will never see the MCG as home of anything to them. They see it on tv, rarely if ever go there so have no attachment to it. It’s just a place the grand final is held at. But they regularly visit their states major ground, know the ground back to front, familiarity with travelling to and from the facility and have experienced the highs and lows at the ground & spent time their with family & friends. This home thing is just a wanky thing commentators bring out to pull at the heart strings. Nothing more nothing less.

Lastly I’d be surprised if it ever moved permanently. Administrators make themselves a lot of money off the game now so they’ll never upset the status quo.

I think it's a good second choice to the MCG. Even with no WA clubs in the GF the crowd would be loud and proud representatives of the game and their state. Hard to say whether South Aussies would embrace the game as wholeheartedly unless Port is one of the GF teams.

Then the MCG contract can be binned and going forward the Grandfinal can be in the city of the highest ranked side in the Grand Final. The way it should be done. The way it is done in other leagues like the A-League and the NRL. That way the highest ranked side gets a reward for being the highest ranked side, instead of a Victorian team being rewarded for being Victorian. The city of the highest ranked side gets to enjoy the fanfare and economic boost of a Grandfinal and the highest ranked side doesn't need to travel.

Victoria may or may not get rid of their public holiday, that's their business.

Most of all it is another step in making the league a true national competition instead of a modded Victorian one.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen in our lifetimes.

It's funny how Richmond and their supporters crack the ******* shits about having to play 6 kms down the road at Etihad but celebrate having to play on the otherside of the country

Weird bunch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne will be fine come September so its a bit of a nothing thread. And I suspect if there is an outbreak around that time they'd just push the game back a week or two. I cant see the GF being played outside of the MCG two years in a row.
Dont get me wrong, the MCG has historically hosted many AFL grand finals. I enjoyed the Gabba hosting it last year. Even if it was a bit weird or different as we are all used to sseing the Grand final at the MCG.

Perth Stadium would be a good ground to host it. A full Perth Stadium is a very good view to see, Just like the MCG.

SCG
nsw is doing the heavy lifting atm
and you can stillsay its at the g
Nah It only Holds 45,000.

Homebush would be a good option, They host the NRL grand final each year. 80,000 in that ground on AFL grand final day would be good and it would grow the game in NSW.

It's funny how Richmond and their supporters crack the ******* shits about having to play 6 kms down the road at Etihad but celebrate having to play on the otherside of the country

Weird bunch

Because Melbourne fans are usually so happy to play their home games at Docklands...

and where do you think the AFL should cut spending to adjust for the tens of millions this plan would cost them each year in lost revenue?

and where do you think the AFL should cut spending to adjust for the tens of millions this plan would cost them each year in lost revenue?

Well three questions for you.

1. What’s your maths to say rotating the GF 2 out of 3 years will loose the AFL tens of millions each year? Being mindful, that reduced supply of seats would result in the cheapest tickets being cut, not the most expensive tickets.

And consider; that Optus has more corporate facilities than the MCG; the GABBA looks set to be redeveloped and expanded to 50,000 to host the 2032 Olympics; and hosting the occasional AFL GF could prevent NSW from redeveloping Stadium Australia into a permanent rectangle stadium (imagine the coup that is for the AFL over the NRL).

2. Did you know the AFL has had profits in the tens of millions of dollars for several years, excluding COVID impacted 2020.

3. Do you still think the AFL would have to cut spending anywhere?

Last edited:
Well three questions for you.

1. What’s your maths to say rotating the GF 2 out of 3 years will loose the AFL tens of millions each year? Being mindful, that reduced supply of seats would result in the cheapest tickets being cut, not the most expensive tickets.

And consider; that Optus has more corporate facilities than the MCG; the GABBA looks set to be redeveloped and expanded to 50,000 to host the 2032 Olympics; and hosting the occasional AFL GF could prevent NSW from redeveloping Stadium Australia into a permanent rectangle stadium (imagine the coup that is for the AFL over the NRL).

2. Did you know the AFL has had profits in the tens of millions of dollars for several years, including COVID impacted 2020.

3. Do you still think the AFL would have to cut spending anywhere?

1. Losing 40,000 of the cheapest seats would be about 40,000*1K = $40Million.

2. The AFL doesn't have profits, as a 'not for profit' organisation it has retained funds that get spent in future years.

3. Sooner or later, they would have to. Less money in inevitably leads to less money out.

2. The AFL doesn't have profits, as a 'not for profit' organisation it has retained funds that get spent in future years.

3. Sooner or later, they would have to. Less money in inevitably leads to less money out.
13,000 mcc members reserve a seat for $30

10,000 mcc members walk in for free on the day

1. The cheapest tickets are not $1,000, not even the most expensive (if excluding corporate boxes), have a look.

2020 with GF in Brisbane

2019 with GF in Melbourne

So if we average those ticket prices that have been removed at $300, for 40,000 tickets is only $12million less from a reduce total capacity. Which is a large amount, but hardly tens of millions.

But who says the AFL can’t get more money or alternative sources of income as a result of rotating the GF, such as state government funding? Perhaps the other stadiums can charge less fees for hosting the game?

2. and 3. Only if there is less money in as you say. However one example that would help negate is that I am sure the broadcast rights would go up in value for an afternoon AFL GF in Perth that can be shown into the eastern states in prime time. And the AFL are smart, no doubt they could think of other things.

But, this isn’t our decisions, and we aren’t privy to all of the AFL’s decisions or finances.

Last edited:
1. The cheapest tickets are not $1,000, not even the most expensive (if excluding corporate boxes), have a look.

2020 with GF in Brisbane

2019 with GF in Melbourne

So if we average those ticket prices that have been removed at $300, for 40,000 tickets is only $12million less from a reduce total capacity. Which is a large amount, but hardly tens of millions.

But who says the AFL can’t get more money or alternative sources of income as a result of rotating the GF, such as state government funding? Perhaps the other stadiums can charge less fees for hosting the game?

2. and 3. Only if there is less money in as you say. However one example that would help negate is that I am sure the broadcast rights would go up in value for an afternoon AFL GF in Perth that can be shown into the eastern states in prime time. And the AFL are smart, no doubt they could think of other things.

But, this isn’t our decisions, and we aren’t privy to all of the AFL’s decisions or finances.

We're also not only talking about Perth , so try that for other venues...

Also, do you really think there are 40,000 seats going that cheap?

We're also not only talking about Perth , so try that for other venues...

Also, do you really think there are 40,000 seats going that cheap?

Your right, I was being generous. As mentioned by bh90210fan, the 10,000 free MCC members tickets and the 13,000 $30 MCC members tickets, really only make the capacity difference about 20,000 seats that the AFL is not making money from.

And then how many tickets does the AFL actually hand out for free, such as to Hall of Famers and Life Members etc. And does the AFL still give 500 tickets to every club so the clubs can sell them or give them away? There’s another 10,000 seats the AFL is not making money from in the current arrangement.

So, I come back to, how can you or anyone not privy to the specifics of the AFL discussions and finances, be certain that rotating 2 out of 3 GF will loose the AFL tens of millions every year, as you claimed.

Your right, I was being generous. As mentioned by bh90210fan, the 10,000 free MCC members tickets and the 13,000 $30 MCC members tickets, really only make the capacity difference about 20,000 seats that the AFL is not making money from.

And then how many tickets does the AFL actually hand out for free, such as to Hall of Famers and Life Members etc. And does the AFL still give 500 tickets to every club so the clubs can sell them or give them away? There’s another 10,000 seats the AFL is not making money from in the current arrangement.

So, I come back to, how can you or anyone not privy to the specifics of the AFL discussions and finances, be certain that rotating 2 out of 3 GF will loose the AFL tens of millions every year, as you claimed.
They can't...

Back