News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Contenders for the permanent job:

Robert Harvey - if Colliingwood start winning games the second half of the season, he moves into favouritism.
David Teague - would not surprise me if he ended up as Collingwood's coach if Carlton sack him.
Mark Williams - Choco's reputation just grows. Perhaps the most respected assistant coach in the competition and would be a steady hand at the club he captained in the 1980s.
Alastair Clarkson - if he does leave Hawthorn, the infamous Collingwood cheque-book will nab him.
The first 3 on your list have got no hope, as you well know. Would have to consider Clarkson, dependant of course on the quality of his resume, and how he presented at the interview.

The first 3 on your list have got no hope, as you well know. Would have to consider Clarkson, dependant of course on the quality of his resume, and how he presented at the interview.

You wouldn't want premiership winning coach like Choco? Better than some untried brumby!

Would have to disagree here. Richmond were nowhere, in 2009 we finished second last on the ladder. We had made the finals twice (yep Twice!) between 1983 and 2010 - Hardwicks first year. He took us to our first finals campaign in over a decade in 2013. and again in 2014 and 2015.. 2016 was an aberration, and then, well, from 2017 onward our fortunes truly changed.

Richmond made measurable improvement year on year until 2016. Surprised anyone would try to argue otherwise.

YearWinsLadderAge RankDiff
2010615th16th+1
20118.512th16th+4
201210.512th16th+4
2013157th9th+2
2014128th12th+4
2015157th9th+2
2016813th12th-1
2017151st14th+13
2018183rd9th+6
2019161st11th+10
2020141st8th+7

2012 the focus went onto fast ball movement, so what appears to be treading water was actually a change in game style with two extra wins.

2014-15 which is where we could be accused of stagnating came about after teams flooded their defence to counteract our quick ball movement. Richmond countered by hanging onto the ball and playing slow, a bit like Collingwood and Geelong now.

2016 we tried to move the ball quickly again with handball. It was apparent by Round 3 that the year was doomed.

If Richmond have a parallel with Collingwood through that period, it's that the senior team remained young. Buckley churned his 22 every year up to 2019, then went with the same olds who were suddenly past their best.

Mark Williams - Choco's reputation just grows. Perhaps the most respected assistant coach in the competition and would be a steady hand at the club he captained in the 1980s.
As far as bigfooty goes he's the greatest assistant coach of all time, as far as the actual AFL industry goes, he couldn't get a gig at an AFL Club for four years after leaving Richmond (until we came along).

Ross Lyon would be a chance I would have thought.

No surprise. It was always happening this year without on field results. A mix of the Heritier systemic racism saga, losing his Eddie support, the ugly Treloar departure... bottom 4 halfway through the season sealed it. I think he could be a successful coach in a new environment if he was still hungry. Next year I think Clarkson/Mitchell and a whole refresh of assistants would suit the Pies best. I think Ross Lyon could still coach but is more suited to Carlton.

Yet another person involved in football pushed out of the game by a degenerate society combined with story hunting media. Wtf is wrong with us as a community.

In a performance industry role, why a degenerate society?
If you cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen.

As far as bigfooty goes he's the greatest assistant coach of all time, as far as the actual AFL industry goes, he couldn't get a gig at an AFL Club for four years after leaving Richmond (until we came along).

Choco was great for awhile. The suggestion towards the end was that he was getting a bit negative about the coach. Everyone without a contract was let go, Choco included.
You wouldn't want premiership winning coach like Choco? Better than some untried brumby!

Turns 63 in August. Coaching is essentially a young man's game.

Yeah you can throw Fagan at me, and if he wins a flag I might change my mind.

Would love to see him replace the drunk on 360. Speaks his opinion, strong, would stand up in a coherent way to Gerard, would have a huge insight into the game. It’d be like sending the Datsun to the wreckers and getting a new Jag.

Love you man but you have got that so wrong. Robbo is a continual source of comedy gold.

I wouldn't mind having him over at Fremantle as an assistant to help out his former apprentice. I reckon getting away from the Victorian media would help him a lot.

Good decish, well done, Bucks moving on allows the club to spend the required time to find the right replacement. And allows Buckley to get a semblance of his normal life back.

Alastair Clarkson - if he does leave Hawthorn, the infamous Collingwood cheque-book will nab him.
Clarko is contracted until end of 2022. Unless Hawks break it he can't just leave. If he leaves of his own
accord without Hawks blessing, he can't coach until 2023. Not sure Pies, Blues, or whoever else will wait.

Clarko is contracted until end of 2022. Unless Hawks break it he can't just leave. If he leaves of his own
accord without Hawks blessing, he can't coach until 2023. Not sure Pies, Blues, or whoever else will wait until then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robert Harvey - if Colliingwood start winning games the second half of the season, he moves into favouritism.
David Teague - would not surprise me if he ended up as Collingwood's coach if Carlton sack him.
Brad Scott a candidate. The industry loves him

Someone get the most games coached/player without a premiership record up….he must be getting close to sitting atop the tree which is the ONLY reason he has stepped down

Team performance irrelevant. Buckley had to fall on his sword after sticking McGuire in the eye by backing Korda. Looks like Browne has the numbers sewn up for chairman job; Buckley position untenable.

Sad to see him go. A rare point of light and decency in a toxic dysfunctional club.

He was an enabler of all the racism and bullying Lumumba experienced at the club.

Please spare us the propoganfa he was some kind of Mother Teresa disciple.

Someone get the most games coached/player without a premiership record up….he must be getting close to sitting atop the tree which is the ONLY reason he has stepped down

Interesting that Robert Harvey takes over as interim coach. Leon Cameron another to watch.

Choco was great for awhile. The suggestion towards the end was that he was getting a bit negative about the coach. Everyone without a contract was let go, Choco included.

Turns 63 in August. Coaching is essentially a young man's game.

Yeah you can throw Fagan at me, and if he wins a flag I might change my mind.

A good balance is the aim, one size does not fit all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back