News Buckley standing down; Robert Harvey interim coach for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone get the most games coached/player without a premiership record up….he must be getting close to sitting atop the tree which is the ONLY reason he has stepped down
He would have gotten there next year.

Whitten 228
N Daniher 223
Carter 219
Buckley 219 after this week.

He could coach, certainly. But he pretty much deconstructed the Malthouse-built team of his own volition. And although he went close to a flag, I think his team was a level below Malthouse's.
Oh, without question. For a couple years there, they were unbeatable. They had a stretch from mid 2009 season to the end of the 2011 season where they went 55-11-2.

Geelong from 2007-2009 for comparison were 65-10.

Add 11-2 to start 2012 under Buckley and it's 66-13-2. Tremendous team Malthouse was able to put together. Should've won more than 1 premiership.

They were pretty young too, weren't they? I guess you're right about the deconstruction post-Malthouse. Definitely disappointing looking back.

A good balance is the aim, one size does not fit all.

Sure, treat every application on its merits. But the stats are against the Choco's.

Record of coaches by age, excluding playing coaches:

Age bracketPWLDWin %Flags
u30394169224143.00
30-3995124519489310048.027
40-49116606078548010252.650
50-542766138313572650.512
55-5912835637071344.42
60+239101135342.90

All in all Bucks was a great player that like many other great players before him didn't taste ultimate glory. The biggest factor being that when his team was good, they faced one of the great teams of all time.

As a coach though, he was mediocre to poor in his first 5-6 years. Any other coach during that period would've been sacked. The review in 2017, taught him that he needed to connect and listen to his playing group, despite it not being his natural tendency. He made the necessary changes and the team saw an upward turn. However the way he handled the trade period last year was the final nail in his coffin. The treatment of Adam Treloar, was a return to his natural tendencies, pre 2017 review Bucks. The hangover caused by the handling of that trade period made the current playing group feel like disposable assets and ultimately fractured the trust between Bucks and the players.

Last edited:
They were pretty young too, weren't they? I guess you're right about the deconstruction post-Malthouse. Definitely disappointing looking back.

For memory the average age of the GF team in 2011 was in the 24s. Said it at the time and will say it again now - change of coach and ripping apart of that side was one of the most needless and stupid things we will ever see in professional sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elegant way to leave really, after a win and with the QB/BF7 game to come. Origin day announcement, and SCG finale not long after the French Open final, also helps shade it. You can’t really be sad for him after nearly ten seasons at the helm, cant expect to be there forever. Might also be preempting a belting. Best of luck to him in his pursuits beyond 2021.

North can claim the credit in a roundabout way, McGuire came up with the inheritance scheme to keep Buckley from taking the North job.

Yep. Childish, stupid, impatient s**t from Ed. Letting Bucks take the North job while Malthouse saw his group (which again was amazingly good) through then come to Collingwood in 3-5 years was an absolute no brainer.

But oh no Ed just couldn't have that. Buckley could only be at Collingwood. No matter what the consequences.

Yep. Childish, stupid, impatient sh*t from Ed. Letting Bucks take the North job while Malthouse saw his group (which again was amazingly good) through then come to Collingwood in 3-5 years was an absolute no brainer.

But oh no Ed just couldn't have that. Buckley could only be at Collingwood. No matter what the consequences.

Still reckon it cost them the 2011 flag when Malthouse realised he was still going pretty well.

Still reckon it cost them the 2011 flag when Malthouse realised he was still going pretty well.

Could have yes. And denied them having a better shot at 2012 and 13 I think. Twelve especially was there for the taking for them with us falling away and Hawks not quite at their best yet.

Geelong were so bad in that execrable Saints R1 clash that year that I held a small grudge against them suddenly going 13-zip. That was my feeling too, that if Malthouse had been left alone they’d be b2b. They could’ve lost the QF and PF, just weren’t right. GF was their best performance that September but bettered on the day.

Elegant way to leave really, after a win and with the QB/BF7 game to come. Origin day announcement, and SCG finale not long after the French Open final, also helps shade it. You can’t really be sad for him after nearly ten seasons at the helm, cant expect to be there forever. Might also be preempting a belting. Best of luck to him in his pursuits beyond 2021.
French Open final

Ha ha

Spare me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back