mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
He was a bad bounce away from coaching a flag mate in 2010 .
It was poor kick not a bad bounce. You could also argue the Saints should have never been in the game our poor kicking kept them in and the second game was a truer reflection of the teams.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
True. We played basically that whole season without Riewoldt though, so that will naturally have an impact on things. We still had an average winning margin of 6 goals though, hardly a 'defense at all costs' style that seems to be eternally stuck to Ross Lyon.

When he has good players, who totally buy in and execute, his system and style produces. A couple of better executed kicks he would be a multiple time premiership coach.

Both Collingwood and Carlton could do a lot worse that giving Ross the reigns for a while.
If that wasn’t defence at cost then nothing is.

The only thing worse than hiring Ross would be keeping Buckley.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
A bittersweet day for a lot of Pies fans.

Buckley is obviously loved by the fans, and will go down as one of the biggest names in Collingwood’s long history. At the risk of being mocked, will add he was a player/coach who deserved a premiership to his name, but plenty of the game’s greats went their footballing life without a premiership. The greatest player to ever play the game never won a flag, he was/is still a champion.

It is funny though, and I expected it, plenty of small people in here taking joy out of the situation, and rewriting history about Buckley as a coach.

Hope he isn’t out of the game for too long, as the game is so much better off with greats like him involved.

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
A bittersweet day for a lot of Pies fans.

Buckley is obviously loved by the fans, and will go down as one of the biggest names in Collingwood’s long history. At the risk of being mocked, will add he was a player/coach who deserved a premiership to his name, but plenty of the game’s greats went their footballing life without a premiership. The greatest player to ever play the game never won a flag, he was/is still a champion.

It is funny though, and I expected it, plenty of small people in here taking joy out of the situation, and rewriting history about Buckley as a coach.

Hope he isn’t out of the game for too long, as the game is so much better off with greats like him involved.
There was a sense of an ending to it all. Pies now have a clear slate to go forward

I'd imagine most fans would have realised this is prob best decision

Geez didn't take this thread long to get flog worthy.

Amazing player and changed the way he approached team mates and the game.

Coaching wise he did the same blokes like Heater and Daisy still hate him but you only need to look what Swanny said today to show how respected he was, changed how he went about player management which was what got us to 2018 GF.

Think he did pretty well as a coach, time to move on though, It's actually the only thing we have done well in the past 12 months, think he did it in a way which will see more coaches take this path.

Hopefully Riewoldt and Bucks get there own show on Fox Footy because it would be a hell of a show looking at tactics players etc.

I'm happy to see the change, hard not to respect the man and respect and appreciate what he contributed to our club and the game.

Enjoy Bucks, spend some time with the kids and that new hottie.

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorta happy with how it’s ended. Very classy IMO. No year of rumours circling. Just a quick and fast cut.

IMO he will be offered jobs, will he take them? Who knows but I believe sides like Carlton should definitely look at him.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Hopefully Buckley goes back into the footy media, he was good in the media prior to starting his coaching career and would be an improvement on most of the current ex-players in media roles.

I doubt he would go into another senior coaching role straight away even if he was offered one.

LOL at Pendlebury "First time in my career I've been through this situation" uh Pendles you were there when Malthouse quit mate.

Malthouse didn't quit, it was a handover, albeit a reluctant one on Malthouse's part.

tigers_of_old_08

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
RICHMOND
All in all Bucks was a great player that like many other great players before him didn't taste ultimate glory. The biggest factor being that when his team was good, they faced one of the great teams of all time.

As a coach though, he was mediocre to poor in his first 5-6 years. Any other coach during that period would've been sacked. The review in 2017, taught him that he needed to connect and listen to his playing group, despite it not being his natural tendency. He made the necessary changes and the team saw an upward turn. However the way he handled the trade period last year was the final nail in his coffin. The treatment of Adam Treloar, was a return to his natural tendencies, pre 2017 review Bucks. The hangover caused by the handling of that trade period made the current playing group feel like disposable assets and ultimately fractured the trust between Bucks and the players.

Mediocre coaches don’t get teams to Grand Finals. It took an amazingly freakish kick to deny Collingwood and Bucks a premiership in 2018.

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
Clarko is contracted until end of 2022. Unless Hawks break it he can't just leave. If he leaves of his own
accord without Hawks blessing, he can't coach until 2023. Not sure Pies, Blues, or whoever else will wait.

As we've seen, contracts don't mean a hell of a lot. Hawthorn would be stupid to force him to stay if he decided he wanted to try a new club as much as it pains me.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Just from a timing standpoint, could this not have waited a week so that it didn't take the focus off of the Big Freeze?
Now, this week is going to be about Nathan rather than Neale.
Fair bit easier to frame it as a 'resignation' rather than a sacking when you've come off a win, compared to a heavy loss which would seem likely this week.

HolyWars

Premiership Player
Apr 8, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Barcelona, Boca Juniors
Mediocre coaches don’t get teams to Grand Finals. It took an amazingly freakish kick to deny Collingwood and Bucks a premiership in 2018.

I've got to agree. At the start of 2018 I was in here bashing Buckley because they had finished 13th in 2017 and thought he was rubbish, but I had to eat my words because he got the club into a GF which they were unlucky to lose.

He wasn't a mediocre coach, he was good/ very good.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Alaistair Clarkson has never won Coach Of The Year.

Does this, in turn, make him a failure? If this is your way of measuring success?
Which is madness, but Clarkson never winning the award means that it doesn't mean much.
You lads are probably over-reading it a wee bit. Pretty sure all No SPIN was trying to say is that ‘massive failure’ coaches don’t win the award and nothing else.

Angak

All Australian
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Prior to 2017 he was a mediocre coach, I have no doubt about that. The review taught him that he needed to listen and build a stronger connection with his playing group. As a result the playing group not only bought into his message but become advocates for it. However the way he handled the trade period was a return of pre 2017 review Bucks and there was no way of coming back from that.

Feb 18, 2017
Wurundjeri Land
AFL Club
Richmond
I’ve always liked Buckley but he’s had a good long reign and I think it’s a good idea to clean the slate and let someone else have a go at taking the club forward. Unlucky not to have snagged a flag. Leaves with his reputation intact which is more than you can say for a fair few coaches.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve always liked Buckley but he’s had a good long reign and I think it’s a good idea to clean the slate and let someone else have a go at taking the club forward. Unlucky not to have snagged a flag. Leaves with his reputation intact which is more than you can say for a fair few coaches.
Well articulated.

Its literally as you described. Nothing more, nothing less. Its a shame you can’t jump on here and read more of the same. So much dribble gets posted nowadays.

spike101

All Australian
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
In the last 10 years 10 different teams have reached the final. In a competition with only 18 teams if you can’t get your team to the final and win it in 10 years you are not much chop

Back