Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

You are probably right that we are a level above those teams but I am not sure how significant that gap is.
You yourself pointed out that we had the least disposals in the competition this year, and if you were to evaluate our wins you could probably argue that Ellie dragged us over the line in just about all of them.

I think our kicking efficiency was far improved this year and of the games you mentioned, we had 1 more scoring shot than St.Kilda and 1 less than North. Meanwhile Melbourne had twice as many scoring shots as us and managed to lose - so I don't think efficiency was a huge factor in our ladder position.

Richmond really started to click in the second part of this year and St.Kilda beat us. Geelong had their best mid out all year and their second best out for half. Imagine how we would perform without Lamb and Blackburn.

As far as the interstate teams go they can only really be as talented as their draft zone allows so loading them up with additional picks isn't really going to help them out.

I take your point on the fixturing and player movement in these foundation years, but I just wish there was more transparency when the AFL made decisions that advantage some clubs at the expense of others - or just more transparency on everything to be honest. It always feels like they are operating in the shadows.

The gap is significant against Geelong, Gold Coast and West Coast, as for the Richmond and St. Kilda it's much closer but we're still ahead I believe.

Richmond for example played the 3 bottoms team, while we had only played 1 of them.

You're right that for the H&A season we were ranked 14th in both disposals and clearances this year but we still managed to generate shots regularly with a total of 107, North who finished in the 6 only had 11 more with 118.

Even though we ranked 14th for clearances, we ranked 3rd for scores from stoppages which just shows how effective those clearances were and how effective our forward line can be.

Our goal accuracy was above average for the season and again you're right we should've lost the Melbourne game as they had 16 shots to our 9, but in our losses we were significantly less accurate and it cost us the Saints and North game.

R1 - Lossed by 9
WB: 46% (13 shots, 6 goals, 5 kicked behinds, 2 no scores, 1 rushed behind)
SK: 57% (14 shots, 8 goals, 2 kicked behinds, 4 no scores, 1 rushed behind)

R6 - Lossed by 36
WB: 22% (9 shots, 2 goals, 3 kicked behinds, 4 no scores, 0 rushed behinds)
CO: 28% (25 shots, 7 goals, 8 kicked behinds, 10 no scores, 1 rushed behind)

R7 - Lossed by 11
WB: 23% (13 shots, 3 goals, 5 kicked behinds, 5 no scores, 3 rushed behinds)
NM: 42% (12 shots, 5 goals, 7 kicked behinds, 0 no scores, 0 rushed behinds)

R8 - Lossed by 56
WB: 33% (9 shots, 3 goals, 4 kicked behinds, 2 no scores, 0 rushed behinds)
AD: 60% (20 shots, 12 goals, 4 kicked behinds, 4 no scores, 2 rushed behinds)

We consistently fielded the youngest team of the round and in R8 we fielded 8 teenagers (33% of the total teenagers playing that round). I think it's pretty clear that we want to build our future around the current crop and from what the club said after the season we want to bring in 1-3 more experienced players.

Hopefully we can get the Bennetts deal done next week and if something else pops up great but if not that's ok too and we go the draft where there will be plenty of experienced and or older players as well.

Honestly I'd be throwing everything to try and get Georgia Nanscawen from Essendon. She only played the 2 games or North in 2019 but has exploded at VFLW since playing for Essendon in 2019. She's averaging 23 disposals, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50s and 164 ranking points this year and would fit perfectly in our midfield.

But I do agree the AFL needs to be much more transparent and stop these spur of the moment decisions.

I certainly understood it but hold a different opinion. On every club board their are posters who believe concessions are too much and point to the impact on their club.

There is no solution that keeps everyone happy but not giving out concessions at all or something late in the draft has the potential to create a 3 tiered comp which is not ideal.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that expansion will have a much greater impact on the Dogs and other Vic clubs than these concessions and the key part to that working well is the stronger clubs giving up more players and better quality ones than the weaker ones.
To be clear I really don't have an issue with the AFLW providing assistance and accept that this sort of thing needs to happen to get the comp set up in a competitive way.

It just always feels like these decisions are so knee jerk from the afl and never have any reasoning behind them.

You're right about expansion having a bigger impact on clubs than these picks, which is part of the reason why I think the aflw has jumped the gun on assistance.
We're yet to see how the next wave of expansion effects anyone and yet to even have a really good sample size of form on most of the teams.

The gap is significant against Geelong, Gold Coast and West Coast, as for the Richmond and St. Kilda it's much closer but we're still ahead I believe.

Richmond for example played the 3 bottoms team, while we had only played 1 of them.

You're right that for the H&A season we were ranked 14th in both disposals and clearances this year but we still managed to generate shots regularly with a total of 107, North who finished in the 6 only had 11 more with 118.

Even though we ranked 14th for clearances, we ranked 3rd for scores from stoppages which just shows how effective those clearances were and how effective our forward line can be.

Our goal accuracy was above average for the season and again you're right we should've lost the Melbourne game as they had 16 shots to our 9, but in our losses we were significantly less accurate and it cost us the Saints and North game.

R1 - Lossed by 9
WB: 46% (13 shots, 6 goals, 5 kicked behinds, 2 no scores, 1 rushed behind)
SK: 57% (14 shots, 8 goals, 2 kicked behinds, 4 no scores, 1 rushed behind)

R6 - Lossed by 36
WB: 22% (9 shots, 2 goals, 3 kicked behinds, 4 no scores, 0 rushed behinds)
CO: 28% (25 shots, 7 goals, 8 kicked behinds, 10 no scores, 1 rushed behind)

R7 - Lossed by 11
WB: 23% (13 shots, 3 goals, 5 kicked behinds, 5 no scores, 3 rushed behinds)
NM: 42% (12 shots, 5 goals, 7 kicked behinds, 0 no scores, 0 rushed behinds)

R8 - Lossed by 56
WB: 33% (9 shots, 3 goals, 4 kicked behinds, 2 no scores, 0 rushed behinds)
AD: 60% (20 shots, 12 goals, 4 kicked behinds, 4 no scores, 2 rushed behinds)

We consistently fielded the youngest team of the round and in R8 we fielded 8 teenagers (33% of the total teenagers playing that round). I think it's pretty clear that we want to build our future around the current crop and from what the club said after the season we want to bring in 1-3 more experienced players.

Hopefully we can get the Bennetts deal done next week and if something else pops up great but if not that's ok too and we go the draft where there will be plenty of experienced and or older players as well.

Honestly I'd be throwing everything to try and get Georgia Nanscawen from Essendon. She only played the 2 games or North in 2019 but has exploded at VFLW since playing for Essendon in 2019. She's averaging 23 disposals, 6 clearances, 4 inside 50s and 164 ranking points this year and would fit perfectly in our midfield.

But I do agree the AFL needs to be much more transparent and stop these spur of the moment decisions.
What sort of player is Nanscawen?
I see that draft central have listed her as the most likely drafted out of the state competition but they haven't given much of a description.
At 29 she probably only had a few years left, although that is not much of an issue given our age profile.

I see that draft central have listed her as the most likely drafted out of the state competition but they haven't given much of a description.
At 29 she probably only had a few years left, although that is not much of an issue given our age profile.

Elite athlete (ex-Hockeyroo for many years).
Spent a season with Swan Districts (WAFLW) before taken by North for 2019.
De-listed after 2019 as just too many mids at North for her to hold a spot.
Won Essendon VFLW Club BnF but didn't nominate for Oct 2019 draft (wanted a break from elite sports training).
2020 no footy due to Covid in Vic.
2021 Clearly Essendon's best VFLW footballer, captain. Did miss a couple of weeks with a calf injury.

Inside mid, great tackling pressure and good decision maker.

Elite athlete (ex-Hockeyroo for many years).
Spent a season with Swan Districts (WAFLW) before taken by North for 2019.
De-listed after 2019 as just too many mids at North for her to hold a spot.
Won Essendon VFLW Club BnF but didn't nominate for Oct 2019 draft (wanted a break from elite sports training).
2020 no footy due to Covid in Vic.
2021 Clearly Essendon's best VFLW footballer, captain. Did miss a couple of weeks with a calf injury.

Inside mid, great tackling pressure and good decision maker.

Playing inside mid this year and even though she only has a few years left that's exactly the player we need. Fitzgerald, Georgostathis and Newton are long term inside mid prospects but we are in desperate need for experienced inside mids to assist Blackburn and Lamb for the next couple of seasons.

A few pick swaps ticked off for us.

The Western Bulldogs have exchanged draft picks in two separate deals on the 2021 AFLW Sign & Trade period deadline day.

The first trade sees the Bulldogs acquire picks 12 and 27 from Carlton, giving up picks 11 and 57 in the process.

In a second trade, the Dogs have then sent that pick 12 (originally from Carlton) the way of St Kilda, in exchange for picks 22 and 25.

The Bulldogs now hold picks 22, 25, 27 and 43 in the 2021 AFLW National Draft, which is set to be held later this year.

On Monday, the Club secured versatile midfielder Elle Bennetts from GWS, in their first deal of the 2021 AFLW Sign and Trade period.

The window for trading will close at 2pm today.

The Bulldogs have been actively trading picks this morning.

Until the trade period closes there may be other potential trade motives however it is possible they are dropping their first pick down the order expecting to match an early father daughter bid and to improve the position of their remaining picks after that first pick is used in the matching process.

The Bulldogs have been actively trading picks this morning.

Until the trade period closes there may be other potential trade motives however it is possible they are dropping their first pick down the order expecting to match an early father daughter bid and to improve the position of their remaining picks after that first pick is used in the matching process.
Yeah that was my thought.
I would imagine we are either expecting to take Georgia Campbell as a father daughter or Nyakoat Dojiok as an NGV.
Hopefully both :thumbsu:

So no trade for Rennie, AFL site saying she has to enter the draft if she wants to leave because she has a contact offer from us. Interesting to see what happens there.
Today we effectively traded pick 7 in the Victorian pool for pick 13 15 and 17. Seems like a pretty good set of trades.

So no trade for Rennie, AFL site saying she has to enter the draft if she wants to leave because she has a contact offer from us. Interesting to see what happens there.
Today we effectively traded pick 7 in the Victorian pool for pick 13 15 and 17. Seems like a pretty good set of trades.
So going for quantity/depth this year, rather than quality and talent.

Sorry to hear that Lauren Sparks is retiring. The writing was probably on the wall this season when she couldn't force her way back in to the team.

She is a foundation player, a premiership player, and a bloody fantastic person, who I'm sure will be missed around the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to hear that Lauren Sparks is retiring. The writing was probably on the wall this season when she couldn't force her way back in to the team.

She is a foundation player, a premiership player, and a bloody fantastic person, who I'm sure will be missed around the club.

That's a shame, she'd been good for us over her run and she was important in our premiership season. Best of luck to her

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/955788/aflw-bulldogs-draft-hand-strengthened

Apparently we see the draft as very even this year so were keen for multiple picks further back.
I wonder if that means we see the draft as relatively poor at the top end? Or just strong in general?
The splits of talent in vic are pretty much; Rowbottom and Prespakis top 2, slight drop for Slender, Friend and Reid, then the next 15-25 (including VFLW and TAS) could realistically go in any order. Seems like Dogs are content with multiple picks in that 3rd tier

The splits of talent in vic are pretty much; Rowbottom and Prespakis top 2, slight drop for Slender, Friend and Reid, then the next 15-25 (including VFLW and TAS) could realistically go in any order. Seems like Dogs are content with multiple picks in that 3rd tier
Yeah, slightly annoying that we were picking in that top 5 bracket before the priority picks got handed out.
I guess we have accumulated a fair number of high picks in the last few years so can stand to add a few later picks.

The Vic pool is quite even and there’s some great potential for mature-agers as well, even younger ones:

Picking up Hards would be a very Bulldogs thing to do.
Also Dojiok with the NGV link if she was still available.
I’ll gladly put my reputation on the line and say if you select Hards, it will be the steal of the draft (given you’ll likely use a later one on her if so). Ignore stats, on pure footballing ability she’s incredibly underrated (except by the club which is the main thing).

I’m interested in how many VFLW players get picked up, I think after the top group of 18YOs then depending on the club a number could go.

Last edited:
The Vic pool is quite even and there’s some great potential for mature-agers as well, even younger ones:

Great to see somewhere doing this for the women's comp, great job.

Is Campbell likely to nominate us do you think? And is Dojiok a WB NGA? Any opinion on where they will get picked/bid on?

Considering we have picks 13, 15, 17 and 26, and our most pressing need is probably midfielders, who do you think we should realistically be hoping for?

25 Bulldogs locked in for AFLW 6.0

The Western Bulldogs have retained the majority of their list, locking in 25 players ahead of the upcoming 2021-22 AFLW season.

Foundation Bulldogs Ellie Blackburn, Brooke Lochland, Hannah Scott, Bailey Hunt, Kirsten McLeod, Ellyse Gamble and Kirsty Lamb headline the group of talent that have put pen to paper on contract extensions.

Bulldogs’ General Manager of Women’s Football, Debbie Lee, said the display of commitment from the group was pleasing.

“To have 25 of our players recommit to the Club ahead of the upcoming AFLW season is fantastic,” Lee said.

“We have full confidence this group can achieve success, and having this talented group of 25 want to continue building on what we have started is a great sign that we are on the right track to doing so.”

In other list news, Dani Marshall has been informed she will not be offered a contract next season, while Kim Rennie has elected to explore her options elsewhere, after declining the Club’s contract offer.

“We thank Kim and Dani for their dedication and contributions to the Club over the past four and two seasons respectively,” Lee said.

“Dani was the first American AFLW player in the league which was ground-breaking, while Kim will always be a premiership player with us. We wish them both nothing but the best of luck with their future endeavours.”

Retiring players Angelica Gogos, Lauren Spark and Amelia van Oosterwijck have also made way from the list, along with Katy Herron who was placed on the inactive playing list last year.

After welcoming Elle Bennetts from the GWS Giants during last week’s trade window, the Bulldogs currently hold picks 13, 15, 17 and 26 in the Victorian draft pool.

2021/22 Western Bulldogs AFLW re-signings

• Brooke Lochland
  • Ellie Blackburn
  • Isabella Grant
  • Isabel Huntington
  • Gabby Newton
  • Kirsten McLeod
  • Deanna Berry
  • Bonnie Toogood
  • Eleanor Brown
  • Katie Lynch
  • Gemma Lagioia
  • Celine Moody
  • Ellyse Gamble
  • Sarah Hartwig
  • Naomi Ferres
  • Elisabeth Georgostathis
  • Britney Gutknecht
  • Ash Guest
  • Isabelle Pritchard
  • Bailey Hunt
  • Hannah Scott
  • Jess Fitzgerald
  • Nell Morris-Dalton
  • Kirsty Lamb
  • Annabel Strahan

Great to see somewhere doing this for the women's comp, great job.

Is Campbell likely to nominate us do you think? And is Dojiok a WB NGA? Any opinion on where they will get picked/bid on?

Considering we have picks 13, 15, 17 and 26, and our most pressing need is probably midfielders, who do you think we should realistically be hoping for?
Personally I don’t know, but being a Dogs fan you would think she would prefer it. They don’t have NGA for the girls so no preference unfortunately. But I think she might be there at your first, it really depends, she's in that range, could be a touch earlier, but wouldn't be a shock to still be there. Campbell will potentially cost you 13, but if she escapes that, every chance she could get to be matched with 26.

I reckon you go best available with #13, then target some midfielders and try and make them as versatile as possible.

13 - Nyakoat Dojiok / Aurora Smith (unless one of the Top few really slide) [ Obviously Campbell with one of the picks if chosen ]
15 - Emelia Yassir
17 - Brooke Hards / Ingrid Houtsma
26 - Hards / Brooke Vickers / Elizabeth Snell

A lot of speed in that ground, able to take grass and go, but a mix of height and versatility as well, all of them (bar Smith) can play multiple roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back