NFL 2021 - NFL Pre-Season Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

There have been such "undersized" Ends who were highly successful. Just as there have been a million perfectly sized ones who failed miserably. Its about talent more than measurables.

You got a gun middle linebacker. Play him as one. Or draft better.

Sure, dont disagree. Tho coaches often draft players and switch their positions. TEs to WR, RBs to WR, CBs to S, QB to TE, S to LB, LB to DE, etc

That's usually when they don't work out. Or they are experimenting with a later round pick. Who was the last first round stud to switch positions coming out of college into the NFL in his rookie year? I can't think of one.

That's usually when they don't work out. Or they are experimenting with a later round pick. Who was the last first round stud to switch positions coming out of college into the NFL in his rookie year? I can't think of one.
drd23 will know off the top of his head. I'll have to think about it when im not working

Simmoms is a perfect example for my argument. Cards already got a gun strong safety in Budda Baker, take Simmoms anyway and tried playing him in a different position . Wanted to have all their big names on field at once.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmoms is a perfect example for my argument. Cards already got a gun strong safety in Budda Baker, take Simmoms anyway and tried playing him in a different position . Wanted to have all their big names on field at once.
You win the debate based on this. But he could still prove a demon at LB. Wait and see, but so far you are right. Just saying its not uncommon and can succeed.

You win the debate based on this. But he could still prove a demon at LB. Wait and see, but so far you are right. Just saying its not uncommon and can succeed.

Cards seem to do this more than most teams, played Hassan Riddick as on off ball linebacker his first few seasons, another stupid move by them.

Generally, I think the NFL LB measurables are changing to SS-like ones, as teams move away from thumping big Mikes to athletic freaks who can cover.

Oh yes, highly agree, I must say. I must. :)

Simmons is a completely different case though. In his last year at Clemson I can't remember exact number but he played everywhere but he was mainly used as a slot corner and spread the rest of his snaps between the box and at safety but i think his total snaps would've been something like 20% safety.

Simmons is a completely different case though. In his last year at Clemson I can't remember exact number but he played everywhere but he was mainly used as a slot corner and spread the rest of his snaps between the box and at safety but i think his total snaps would've been something like 20% safety.

Can get away with being an undersized linebacker far more in college than you can in the NFL, same with speed as a corner in college, . Positions are far more limited in the NFL dependant on body type and attributes unless you're truly special.

Players who can fill multiple roles and positions without blinking don't come around very often, maybe Parsons is one, if he is, him not going top 5 will be one of the greatest * ups of all time by some of the teams who passed on him.

Also, if you want back in the great Dan Quinn in go right ahead by all means. ;)
Yeah this is more the point :tearsofjoy: Dallas said last year they wanted to be flexible defensively (ie coach speak for we don't know our own scheme) and they were horrendous. Dan Quinn takes over and said we want to be flexible defensively :think::think: Nothing is going to change.

Yeah this is more the point :tearsofjoy: Dallas said last year they wanted to be flexible defensively (ie coach speak for we don't know our own scheme) and they were horrendous. Dan Quinn takes over and said we want to be flexible defensively :think::think: Nothing is going to change.

You ain't seen nothing like the mighty Quinn . 🙂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back