Analysis Rolling All-Australian team for 2021

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
The Demons "only" have a percentage of 137. That's a fair way off of some of the dominant teams of the past where they were 150+

If Demons want to flood the AA team with players they need to do more than just grind out wins. They need to start handing out some major thrashings.

If the Dees have 6/7/8/9 of the best 22 players this year, they should all make the team regardless of %.

Weird logic. This is an individual award.

Geez a simple "I don't know, I don't watch other teams" would have come across better.
If you truly believe Brandon Ellis is having a better year than Langdon, that response is entirely appropriate.

Not even close.

As above, % is important. Melbourne currently at 137

2011 - Pies had a % of 167
2009 - Saints had % of 155
2008 - Geelong had % of 161

With Melbourne having 10 games remaining they'd need to win with an average % of approx 176% to get up to a season ending % of 155 to match the Saints.
lol

Or we just keep winning and % means * all to us and will mean * all to the AA selectors

Unless their is some sort of % quota for AA selectors to use as guide when selecting players that I am unaware of

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
lol

Or we just keep winning and % means fu** all to us and will mean fu** all to the AA selectors

Unless their is some sort of % quota for AA selectors to use as guide when selecting players that I am unaware of
Winning is good. But if you want 6+ players in the AA team you need to be dominant. Winning is part of that, and it might be enough, but traditionally it's taken winning plus thrashings to get that sort of number into the AA team.

Winning is good. But if you want 6+ players in the AA team you need to be dominant. Winning is part of that, and it might be enough, but traditionally it's taken winning plus thrashings to get that sort of number into the AA team.
So theoretically if we go 20-2 but only have a % of 137 that won't be considered dominate?

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
I think an argument can be made that he's been better than Gawn, but for the sake of not derailing the thread I'll just repeat my position that like last year both are clearly in the best 22 players this season and both should make the team.

Both should have crackers again this week against Richmond (Nic Nat) and Pies (Gawn) given their opponents are running out what can best be described as inexperienced ruckmen.
It's almost a tradition at this stage for Gawn to do roughly * all against noob rucks.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Why not? 1 loss by a single point after 12 rounds. out of Lever, May and Salem, at least 2 of those are in at this point. Petracca, Oliver and Gawn are locks. Langdon would have to be in the mix. Kozzy and Fritta and TMac are all a good chance for the 40 squad. If Richmond were 11-1 you'd be all over the AA having 6+ Tiger players being included. Don't be salty.
Well considering the best Richmond have had since 2017 is 3 players once, and 2 players twice, not sure salty is quite right. You will certainly have 4 maybe 5.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Well considering the best Richmond have had since 2017 is 3 players once, and 2 players twice, not sure salty is quite right. You will certainly have 4 maybe 5.
I honestly couldn't give a toss if we have no AA's as long as we're winning. Reality is that we have at least 5 or 6 in the mix so it's not too far fetched to think we would have 6 AA representatives as of now. Obviously a lot more games to come. If I'm to guess who will be in it end of year I'll guess Gawn, Oliver, Trac and Lever. Salem and Langdon not fsr off with TMac, Fritsch and Kozzie all pushing for 40 man squad but unlikely to make it.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon

Richmond never dominated a home and away season to that extent though, the best they did was 18-4 in 2018.

bigboysdontcry

All Australian
Apr 19, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
B: Lever May Rich

HB: Dale Andrews Salem

C. McCluggage Oliver Macrae

HF: Petracca Walker AMT

FF: Naughton McKay Fritsch

Fol: Gawn - Bontempelli - Parish

Int: Libratore, Wines,Walsh, Merrett

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
That is true, but Melbourne have only done if for 11 games, hardly 6-9 AA qualifications. Richmond have been top 4 for quite a few years. Having said that 3 of those 6 have been dominant for quite a few seasons.

It’s a rolling team, we are picking this team as of right now, it’s not a prediction.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
The Demons "only" have a percentage of 137. That's a fair way off of some of the dominant teams of the past where they were 150+
I don't think percentage is too relevant with us because we're not an attacking side; we win games by smothering the opposition and outlasting them.

We had the dogs on the ropes at the end of the first quarter and we kicked eight goals to three against the Lions in the second half. Given they're the two best teams in it aside from us (and by a fair margin) I'd say we're dominating even if we're not handing out thrashings.

Jan 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Collingwood Magpies
I didn’t think I could get 6 Melbourne players in my team but once I did my team, 6 ended up being there.
I do not think it matters how many a team gets in providing that they are dominant in their position, not just because they look good in a dominant team. This is why the one I would question is May because in the majority of lists pertinent to defenders, he is not prominent.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
lol

Or we just keep winning and % means fu** all to us and will mean fu** all to the AA selectors

If you win each game by 60 points you are getting way more players in the AA team then if you win each game by 5 points.

cos well it would mean you are a better side with better performing players

Back