Food for thought (or more accurately, food thoughts and inspirations)

Remove this Banner Ad

The bakery in drouin next to the post office does the passionfruit vanilla slices perfectly. Wife's been going to the physio near it and grabs a couple occasionally for after dinner.
Delicious.

The Timboon bakery used to do the pink icing version like I posted above. They went OK. They did cream buns as well back in the day. Cream buns are alright but you can’t beat a snot block.

I hope old SpiderBurton22 can tell us if the bakery is any good down there these days. It’s been a while since I was down that way - last time i was there I got my picture in the paper (and it was nothing to do with horses).

Delicious.

The Timboon bakery used to do the pink icing version like I posted above. They went OK. They did cream buns as well back in the day. Cream buns are alright but you can’t beat a snot block.

I hope old SpiderBurton22 can tell us if the bakery is any good down there these days. It’s been a while since I was down that way - last time i was there I got my picture in the paper (and it was nothing to do with horses).

Timboon bakery is ok, the Cobden one is better.

Timboon do better pies though.

Last edited:
OK - I do consider myself quite an expert on snot blocks. Its a simple science.
My golden rules:
No coloured icing - must be white, not negotiable
Nothing else in the icing such as passionfruit
No coconut on icing - if so the makers bakers licence should automatically be revoked for life
Must be able to be eaten with one hand - if you need a cake fork its not a vanilla slice
Custard must be on the solid side - if it squeezes out the side when bitten, massive fail

Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The old dog’s eye - With or without dead horse. Round, oval, square or rectangle. Which are best? Today’s discussion.

View attachment 1151286

View attachment 1151288
I love a four n twenty at the footy - seem to take on a different taste, but buy them elsewhere and they are rarely as good. I'm a fan of square pies as they are easier to eat, but shape matters much less than taste. Had a lot of great pies - the pies at Segefredos in Heathcote are sensational and owned by a great North Melbourne man. Try one if you are passing through (that's all you would normally do in Heathcote, pass through).

Hojuman - managed to find the satay you mentioned at the Asian Supermarket on Broadway Reservoir. If you like Indonesian food that is their specialty. Worth checking out. I will try the satay tonight and let you know what it is like.

Hojuman - managed to find the satay you mentioned at the Asian Supermarket on Broadway Reservoir. If you like Indonesian food that is their specialty. Worth checking out. I will try the satay tonight and let you know what it is like.

Think it'll be the one you were looking for👍
If you get into town Laguna Indo supermarket Russell st. side of Q.V. centre near Officeworks. Just shimmy up the stairs. They literally got it all.

Rutherglen Bakery.

It's almost worth driving there to get one.

Trust me.
They are good. Avoid on a Saturday though, queue for 30 minutes to find out they're all out of whatever you want.
I think the best I've ever had was at Pinjarra bakery. It's a difficult thing though, these places get a reputation, owners sell at a profit and suddenly the pies aren't what they were. For a long time Robertson pie shop in the southern Highlands was said to be the best in the country, but many have said they are no longer that good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back