Player Watch #24: Tom Powell - signed thru 2026 - 7th highest ranked player league-wide after 3 rds - avg. 27.7d & 7clearances p/g

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH SET FOR ANOTHER KEY SIGNATURE

NORTH Melbourne is set to continue its re-signing spree, with gun first-year midfielder Tom Powell poised to join an exciting crop of young talent in committing his future to the rebuilding club.

It's understood the Kangaroos are in advanced talks with the 19-year-old's management regarding a fresh two-year deal, which would take the emerging onballer through to the end of the 2024 season.

Powell, recruited to North Melbourne with pick No.13 in last year's NAB AFL Draft, has instantly become an integral member of the team's developing engine room and has played in all 11 of the side's senior games so far this year.

North Melbourne's Tom Powell celebrates a goal against Port Adelaide in round 1, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

North Melbourne's Tom Powell celebrates a goal against Port Adelaide in round 1, 2021. Picture: AFL Photos

His impressive maiden campaign is set to be rewarded with a new deal imminently, which would follow the two-year extensions signed by defender Ben McKay and last year's No.3 pick Will Phillips in recent days.

Powell is averaging 17.6 disposals through the season's first 11 games to firmly establish himself alongside Essendon starlet Nik Cox as one of the brightest first-year players in the League.

He is also seen as a key member of North Melbourne's long-term list rebuild alongside fellow 2020 draftees Phillips and Charlie Lazzaro, as well as the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft's recent No.1 selection Jacob Edwards. – Riley Beveridge

Last edited:

He is also seen as a key member of North Melbourne's long-term list rebuild alongside fellow 2020 draftees Phillips and Charlie Lazzaro, as well as the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft's recent No.1 selection Jacob Edwards. – Riley Beveridge

...........ahem...............

1623280854476.png

Loves Melbourne, is really settled and has a fantastic relationship with the first year boys and Noble.

Think it helps his GF moved over with him (at Melbourne Uni).

First year is always the hardest, but I imagine when we get Horne the club will be putting them up together and should make both of them comfortable with their new state.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Powell doesn’t play HBF.

Usually dusty starts in the middle than goes into the forward line, I just want to see him line up against him when the ball is bounced.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm not sure a 'comparison' is being made, more a (long term) compliment to Powell

Someone has brains here

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back