Ross Lyon 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Ross would be taking the Carlton job if it were available. The list has serious potential. The have stuffed a few draft picks and there’s quiet a few misses from 2016 onwards. But they have some real talent in every line. And some that maybe need a change such as SPS.

Carlton. You know you want to..😁
Most clubs would like to be GF bound.
To me Ross can get a club there, get the best out of a group & if that group arent good enough, they lose.
Is there any club that would say no to a GF berth ?

Last edited:
For a bloke whose game plan has failed before because his teams can't kick goals, it's astounding to believe he is one of the favourites? No doubt he will get a job, but which one of these desperados will hire him? I reckon Carlton is the better fit for him, the Pies haven't bottomed out yet and they still have a major off-field problem to play out.

For a bloke whose game plan has failed before because his teams can't kick goals, it's astounding to believe he is one of the favourites? No doubt he will get a job, but which one of these desperados will hire him? I reckon Carlton is the better fit for him, the Pies haven't bottomed out yet and they still have a major off-field problem to play out.
Not to mention that Collingwood’s problem is it’s lack of aggression in taking the game on. We’d be replacing our current game plan with the exact same stale ball movement.

Chris Mayne looks backwards before he looks forwards every single time, don’t need Ross to exacerbate that

Lyon would fit the Pies in the sense that we are already geared toward some pretty negative type football, pretty much since Malthouse we've been defense first. With Malthouse it was an all over he ground thing, with Buckley we've able to absorb a huge amount of pressure in the defensive 50. Buckley I suspect has likely been looking at Richmond whose pretty rough and ready style getting it forward works because they've had the right combo of Key Position forwards and genuine crumbers. I don't know what Lyon brings to that though at the Saints he had a few A graders up forward, at Freo he didn't and it all went rubbish.

I know he didn't put much effort into developing youth at St Kilda or Freo, but I do wonder if given the chance he could do it.

Neither of the jobs they spoke about on FC tinning were really the sort that just need that next step to be serious contenders.

I think one of the major issues most clubs have with appointing coaches is making an honest assessment of where they're currently at and appointing the right coach for that position.

I say this as a long time Richmond fan who went through a long period of replacing coaches because 'we've got the list, we just need the right coach to get us that last step'.
*spoiler alert* we didn't have the list.

I think Carlton is the better fit of the two for Lyon. Carlton have been rebuilding much longer and already have a group of young stars, but not much around them. Lyon is great at turning fringe players who would otherwise be list cloggers into disciplined role players that compliment the stars.

He hasn't got as much evidence to show that he is a master development coach, and that's more what Collingwood need. Their list is a couple of years behind Carlton imo because they have so much dead weight to clear out, which means a greater volume of kids coming through.

If I had to pick a club for him it would be Carlton. We probably need to let go of the overly negative football - Carlton have been soft for so long it would likely do them good.

If I had to pick a club for him it would be Carlton. We probably need to let go of the overly negative football - Carlton have been soft for so long it would likely do them good.
I reckon Clarko is more likely to be at Collingwood than he is at Hawthorn next year. He's your man.

Best way to pry him out of Hawthorn is to go sniffing around Mitchell if Hawks say no.

He's perfect for GWS.

It just makes so much sense to replace Leon Cameron with him.

He was perfect for GWS in 2017, with that list, he would have probably won a flag.

Now, not so much. GWS's list isn't that much better than Carltons.

I think the best fit for Lyon based on how he coaches and the lists he likes to take over would be Port Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game passed Lyon by about a decade ago.

The Fremantle team he took over had made the second week of the finals 12 months prior in 2010 then was devastated by injury in 2011 losing the last 7 games I believe after being in with a chance of finals. 2009 went through a complete rebuild. This was a team with a lot of promise.

So really just needed an experienced coach to nudge them in the right direction.

Fremantle had some good season despite Lyon's tactics. They were highly motivated to succeed and rallied around Lyon. He had a mystique about him then.

That mystique is gone, he wouldn't get the same buy in from a club today, and tactically he is woeful. No team could succeed in spite of his tactics in 2022.

I'm really hoping the Pies or Carlton get him. It will set them back even further which will be fantastic.

Carlton has a lot of talent. They are just soft. Ross took a smattering of stars and a heap of foot soldiers to a GF in a club that had no idea how to get there. He would be a premiership coach at one of two clubs if his small forwards had kicked straight which is on them. I reckon Carlton would take off up the ladder if they got him.

Carlton would suit Ross better than Collingwood

They should get on him before Collingwood take him

Having witnessed the way he `performed` as a coach in his latter days at FFC ....I am gobsmacked that any club would want him..he would be bottom of my list..

He intrigues me, mostly with his media position and inner workings of actual coaching he brings to it but I, like many struggle to watch his teams play.

He probably walks into Collingwood and shoots them up the ladder fairly quickly but i don't know if they want to go down that path aesthetically lol.

Carlton,,, hmmmm, I'm not so sure he'd get past their top heavy meddling admin structure down the road... It may end in big tears again having such a strong opinionated coach Vs a very reactive board and cashed up member base.

They've chewed up a variety of coaches sacking on average one ever 2.6 years (if Teague goes) over the last 13 seasons 😳. Maybe he could be the one to reign the cycle in???

I do think he'll land at one or the other though with his "I'll take the call" narrative.

Carlton, as much as i can't stand him need a Paul Roos type to establish a decent base IMO before moving to the next stage of competing properly.

Carlton has a lot of talent. They are just soft. Ross took a smattering of stars and a heap of foot soldiers to a GF in a club that had no idea how to get there. He would be a premiership coach at one of two clubs if his small forwards had kicked straight which is on them. I reckon Carlton would take off up the ladder if they got him.
Harvey took that team to the second week of the finals 12 months prior coming off a rebuild.

Hi everyone, interested in your thoughts.

Seeing Ross on Footy Classified tonight, he said all the right things and to me it suggested he was open to a coaching job in 2022.

What do you think he will be doing in 2022? I have no idea how to do a poll, just your thoughts.

I must be the only person who thought the opposite, he said any club who wanted a chat he would out of courtesy but then in the next breath said with coaching you have to be all in and he seemed to be reluctant with that aspect.

Think he is happy to be in the media and less stress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back