News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

I was saying years ago we should drop Tassie for going all in Ballarat. Tassie was always honey trap, like they say never date crazy. Be careful where you leave your seed.

Three low drawing games in a row for Hobart,that will be interesting to see what sort of crowds they get.

At least the GC, Brisbane and GWS supporters can travel to Tasmania. Tasmanian government should be grateful for that. If any of these games were against Victorian opposition, there would be no tourism boost as the border is closed.

At least the GC, Brisbane and GWS supporters can travel to Tasmania. Tasmanian government should be grateful for that. If any of these games were against Victorian opposition, there would be no tourism boost as the border is closed.
That is true but GWS and Gold Coast supporters don't travel so no different for those games.

I was saying years ago we should drop Tassie for going all in Ballarat. Tassie was always honey trap, like they say never date crazy. Be careful where you leave your seed.
Never really explained why Ballarat turned sour for us. Lots of rumours around at the time but not sure what thefts really were.

Never really explained why Ballarat turned sour for us. Lots of rumours around at the time but not sure what thefts really were.

Tasmania and Ballarat are both insignificant in comparison to......................

It's like comparing 2 ants with an elephant.

Is it really that hard to follow? The side of politics that promised the money to build the Ballarat stadium lost the election. Rather than wait several years for another election, we went all-in on Tasmanian as our second home. We couldn't afford to do nothing with our debt where it was. When the political opportunity in Ballarat arose once again, we were dancing with another partner, and the Bulldogs were dateless. Add to the fact that our supporter base does not form any appeal for political pork barrelling. It's pretty straight forward I would have thought.

Is it really that hard to follow? The side of politics that promised the money to build the Ballarat stadium lost the election. Rather than wait several years for another election, we went all-in on Tasmanian as our second home. We couldn't afford to do nothing with our debt where it was. When the political opportunity in Ballarat arose once again, we were dancing with another partner, and the Bulldogs were dateless. Add to the fact that our supporter base does not form any appeal for political pork barrelling. It's pretty straight forward I would have thought.
Yep. Thats the simple explanation. More to it than that. Anyway, all history now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much. On a personal level it sucks as I have family in Ballarat - it would have been nice to go up 2-3 times a year and watch the footy with my family and stay the night...

I've only been to Hobart once several years ago, it was a great place but I can't financially support more games there.

There's an interesting story around North Melbourne & Ballarat that is referenced in Mick Warner's The Boy's Club, that is pretty enlightening.

"The Kangaroos were lobbying for a major upgrade of Ballarat’s Eureka Stadium, where the club hoped to play AFL games, and had invited Delahunty and the then deputy secretary of the Department of Sport and Recreation, Peter Hertan, to a briefing in the club’s boardroom. The club’s chairman James Brayshaw, a former state cricketer turned media star, arrived late, casually dressed in pants and a sweater, before excusing himself early citing other commitments. Delahunty and Hertan were surprised a short time later during a tour of the club’s facilities to discover Brayshaw hitting golf balls in an office.

‘It was his birthday, so James remembers precisely why he had to excuse himself,’ a club spokesman explained when the story about ‘North Melbourne’s putting president’ hit the newspapers. ‘The office he was in was Adam Aiello’s, who is our sales and sponsorship manager … who does have golf clubs in his office, and he was talking to “JB” about Mazda. JB had to quickly see Adam before he went to a lunch with his family for his birthday before going on air for Triple M.’4 Needless to say, North never got the money. At Carrara, the AFL put in just $10 million of its own and the league’s seventeenth club was off and running."

???

The wrong party won the 2014 election.

Then the Dogs were very savvy on their gov relations and snaffled it by getting Tim Pallas on board.

Armstrong to take over as Devils coach
by Jacob Doole | Jun 7, 2021 | Home Page
Mathew-Armstrong.jpg

AFL Tasmania is pleased to announce that Mathew Armstrong will take on the role of coach of the Tasmania Devils program for the remainder of the 2021 season.
Armstrong will lead the Devils team competing in the NAB League Boys under 19 representative competition from June 30. He will replace Cameron Joyce as coach, with Joyce departing to take on the role of AFLW Coach for the Gold Coast Suns.
Armstrong, a Tasmanian Football Hall of Famer who played 175 VFL/AFL games for Fitzroy and North Melbourne, brings a wealth of football experience and coaching expertise, having played a key role in Tasmanian talent development for many years. He is currently Talent Operations Lead for the Southern Region at AFL Tasmania.
Nicole Bresnehan will take on additional responsibilities to become the Talent Operations Lead for the Devils program in Tasmania. The North Melbourne AFLW player will manage overall administration and logistics.
Head of AFL Tasmania, Damian Gill, said: “We are thrilled to have Mathew accept the coaching role of the Devils boys program for the remainder of the season.
“We are disappointed to lose Cameron, who has done an excellent job in a short period of time, but we understand and support his decision given it’s a fantastic opportunity for him.
“To be able to move quickly and install Mathew, who is a decorated and very well-credentialed Tasmanian football person and someone who has a great understanding of the talent pathway system, is a great thing for the players and everyone in Tasmanian football under the circumstances.
“Mathew will have tremendous support around him including Nicole Bresnehan, who is very much deserving of increased responsibility, as is Harry Bomford who will be increasing his time commitment to the Devils program.
“I want to thank Cam for his work and wish him all the best in his new role at the Suns, and thank Mathew, Nicole and Harry for stepping up and helping to ensure the Devils boys program continues to develop future stars of Tasmanian football in 2021.”
Joyce will remain in the role until the end of June, at which time the new structure with Armstrong at the helm will take effect.
AFL Tasmania will soon commence a process to recruit a permanent coach of the Tasmania Devils boys and girls programs, with the aim of having this position announced by October.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back