Play Nice Michael Jordan vs LeBron James

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is the MVP has never been an award that just goes to the best player.

Seeding, games played, stats, voters fatigue all come in to it. Also you may care about the defensive end (as do i) but most people pay lip service to it. You can not start dissecting all the years certain players 'should have won' because you can most certainly do the same for Lebron and many other players.

P.s you are being extremely harsh on the Barkley MVP
I guess I just care about two way players as the game isnt only played on the offensive end. Barkley was very much a one way player. Didnt play much defense. I love Chuck, but Jordan should be winning that MVP that year, I dont think I'm being harsh. Makes All D 1st Team, leads the league scoring and steals. 1st in PER, Win Shares and Plus Minus.

Voter fatigue only reason why Jordan doesnt get it that year. The narrative is always huge too. Barkley was much loved and he turned the Suns into a force whereas it was business as usual for the Bulls. You gotta have a story to win the MVP.

I agree LeBron could have won more too. It's a bit weird that the GOAT in MJ and the second greatest player of all time in LeBron only have 5 and 4 MVP's.

Last edited:

So let's be real, a first round exit for the defending champs hurts Lebron's case. Just another setback for him in his chase for GOAT status. He's never getting there for me.
Why does it? Jordon lost in the first round as well

At the same age Lebron is now he was retired.

Given LeBron's support cast that is a spectacular claim.

Isiah Thomas's support cast was pretty fair in the Pistons era.

I'm not sure how it's spectacular. Magic played 12 years.

In those 12 years he had Kareem for 10 of them (every year he was an all-star), Worthy for 9 of them (6 of them as an All-Star), Jamaal Wilkes for 6 years (2 time All star). Even Norm Nixon and A.C. Green were All-Stars.

LeBron may have had better quantity of good players, but most of them were good for only a few years when they played together. Not long-termers like Magic had.

LeBron has also played for 100 seasons.

Why does it? Jordon lost in the first round as well

At the same age Lebron is now he was retired.
Sure Jordan lost in the first round early in his career. But as defending champs? Jordan only ever got dethroned by himself, when he retired, twice.

Just another black mark for LeBron when trying to make a claim for him to be GOAT.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure Jordan lost in the first round early in his career. But as defending champs? Jordan only ever got dethroned by himself, when he retired, twice.

Just another black mark for LeBron when trying to make a claim for him to be GOAT.
Nah if Jordon gets a pass for losing when he was young than so does Lebron when he is old as s**t with no help once AD went down.

Jordan never had to contend with the might of the 2020/21 Phoenix Suns with a banged up Chris Paul though.

meh, most bball fans couldn't name a player that played for the 84 Bucks (who after beating the Bulls, got swept in the next round by a team that got beaten 4-1 in the ECF by a team that got beaten in the Finals).

Meanwhile Phx could easily make the Finals.

Ahh I see the old excuse is coming out now.
You do the exact same thing lol...

Jordon is too young so it doesn't count

Lebron is old and not in his prime anymore... In his prime he carries that series on his own, he is old now. Could Jordon do the same at the same age? We will never know because he refused to player under another coach and was admittedly cooked by the end of that second stint with the Bulls and needed time away.

meh, most bball fans couldn't name a player that played for the 84 Bucks (who after beating the Bulls, got swept in the next round by a team that got beaten 4-1 in the ECF by a team that got beaten in the Finals).

Donny Nelson was coach. That's all I remember.

Most LeBron GOATers weren't even born in 1984. Given some of the shade thrown at Kemp and Payton, Stockton and Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Miller etc. it would not surprise me if most of them didn't watch basketball before 2003.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back