2021 Non-Crows AFL Talk 2: are the VFL corrupt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

These small crowds hurt Port Power more than it does AFC. We have loads of sold seats (money in the bank) that don't show, they don't.

My guess is that because our season tickets are sold out, there's a far greater percentage of AFC supporting AO members than Port supporters. Not sure the difference that makes, but I'd guess 2 or 3 thousand each game.

Nah, not away from home and Rowell back, that makes a major difference to their side. I would still expect Port win, but it won't be easy.
Would feel more confident of GC winning if Marshall was playing

Port have all the tools to win the flag, but have a crap coach.

I watched the game closely and Port were very lucky to still be in the game. If Geelong kicked those 3 goals from 20m out in the 3rd the game was over. Only some poor umpiring in the start of the last quarter gave them any chance.

The game style they are playing is all out attack on the break. It swarms the weaker teams, which is why they win big in those games. Against the better teams, who cause a turn over or intercept mark, they get caught out and the down hill skiers on their team (a lot of them) don't run anywhere nearly as hard backwards. Thats why whenever you saw the Port turnover, Geelong ended up with an easy goal out the back.

Port would have to absolutely dominate the stoppages and be super clean to beat the top teams and I just can't see it happening in big finals.

Crowd 28,718.
It's a really interesting issue right across the league. Obviously Port would be upset about this particular crowd, given it was two top 4 teams, a good drawing opponent, in a prime time slot, but the issue is a league wide one.
Crowds are down all over the place. The questions is why? It can't all be Covid related.

It's a really interesting issue right across the league. Obviously Port would be upset about this particular crowd, given it was two top 4 teams, a good drawing opponent, in a prime time slot, but the issue is a league wide one.
Crowds are down all over the place. The questions is why? It can't all be Covid related.
The Economy

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fans would rather listen to Jobe Watson commentating

Tealsters clamour to the six month clause.

That is still about $400k, assuming Ken is one of the higher paid coaches on around $800k.

No way the AFL aporove that expenditure if they are making the 8 or even just missing out.

Ken will be at Port till at least 2023. And will claim the AFL record for most games coached for no Premierships.

Exactly this, I think Port make the top 8 easily this year. They'll probably do the same next year. The players tend to play for him enough to do reasonably well enough so they make finals.
The only way he can be sacked is if the planned stop playing for him as coach.

Poorly managed semi-professional and biased league.

What could go wrong, huh ?

I watched the game closely and Port were very lucky to still be in the game. If Geelong kicked those 3 goals from 20m out in the 3rd the game was over. Only some poor umpiring in the start of the last quarter gave them any chance.

The game style they are playing is all out attack on the break. It swarms the weaker teams, which is why they win big in those games. Against the better teams, who cause a turn over or intercept mark, they get caught out and the down hill skiers on their team (a lot of them) don't run anywhere nearly as hard backwards. Thats why whenever you saw the Port turnover, Geelong ended up with an easy goal out the back.

Port would have to absolutely dominate the stoppages and be super clean to beat the top teams and I just can't see it happening in big finals.
Yeah the reason they can't beat top sides, ie the better coached sides, is coaching and structure. Lack of.

Port rely on individual brilliance to win games. Well coached teams with good players do well against this.

But poor teams are overwhelmed.

Dixon had a period where he dominated the forward line in that last quarter. Looked unstoppable. They then put him in Ruck. Killed their momentum and Geelong methodically closed out the game.

Good method and structure will beat Chaos Ball. Port prove this most times they play good teams.

Port’s L Jones. I was led to believe he was the new messiah. To go with his disproportionate fat arse and robber’s dog head, he doesn’t football anywhere near as good as the prematurely ejaculated hype.

Under Hinkley Port players have always started with a massive up rise in form. After a period of time they generally plateau out unless they are a seriously good player.

Port’s L Jones. I was led to believe he was the new messiah. To go with his disproportionate fat arse and robber’s dog head, he doesn’t football anywhere near as good as the prematurely ejaculated hype.

He's also a half back flanker as well.

So while he's a may end up being a great pick up for them, at the end of the day he's still only a half back flanker which historically is one of the least damaging and easiest positions to fill on a team.

The way they were carrying on in his first game was hilarious, cheering him whenever he went near the ball and acting like like he was the next Gary Ablett. It was completely cringeworthy.

I wouldn't be surprised if Port supporters didn't even know anything about him before he played a game.

Last edited:

I don't know if they would really be any better with a better coach. Their side just isn't that great. Ken isn't the worst coach in the world either, not a premiership winning coach but he's still middle of the road.

Butters and Duusrma played 4 games this year 20 possies avg - poot fans are acting like they'll be top 4 again with them back in, like they're dusty and danger inclusions.

Never have I heard afc fans say, when scholl and schoenberg come back in, we got this..

It just blows my mind how clueless and how lacking of self-awareness they are.

Only fixturing games a few weeks in advance isn't helping matters. Anyone with a moderately difficult life is going to struggle

Yes I think this wouldn't be helping things at all, some people just prefer planning their games at the start of the year, they can't do this if they have no idea of the schedule ahead.

I think it's definitely all COVID related. There would be 5 to 10% of the crowd that would probably prefer staying at home because they are still concerned about how things are travelling. You would be missing say two to five thousand Geelong supporters coming over from Victoria for this game I'd imagine as usualy but they can't do to the lockdown.
Also you would have people that watched all games on tv last year and found they didn't miss the atmosphere as much as they thought and now have a massive screen tv etc.

I don't think it has much to do with the economy people seem to be spending their money fairly easily out there on a number of things, going out to footy matches is just not a priority at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back