Review Round 13, 2021 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

1 reason is that they'll get some good players back from injury.
1 other thing is that they'll probably get a better run from the umps.
9 goals between Hawkins and Cameron... probably won't happen again.
You don't watch a lot of Port v Victorian teams then?

This.

I get it’s something of a comfort for people to cling on to, but we were full-strength against West Coast (bar the fumes of Rockliff and his considerable salary cap hit) and got smashed in the all-too familiar fashion.
Yep, the WC performance was very concerning and has not been addressed by the coaches which is Kens usual MO.

Jed McEntee is certain to play this season. If you are an average AFL player like Woodcock, Farrell and Bonner you have got to have a supreme workrate which none of them have - they all lack hardness and commitment at all costs.
We have no room for nice footballers.
Yet we are more than happy with a nice coach?

Every team has injuries but Geelong had a full strength team. That would be the team they would pick in a GF if they had a full healthy list.
We do have injuries and maybe with a full strength team, we would’ve won that. The game was lost in defence for us. We were unorganised in the back through the whole game. Bad turnover errors cost us big time. I am not overly pissed we lost but I do wonder if the likes of Farrell, Woodcock, Frederick etc are AFL standard. Good goal from Farrell but apart from that, a sweet FA.
Missing Guthrie who is one of their more important players.

Edit- didn't see above post

We did lose Marshall half way through the first, and it cost us both in aerial contests and in forward pressure, two of the worst aspects of our game tonight.
Forward pressure maybe, but not aerial contests. Jake Neade offered about as much marking prowess as Marshall does.

Every team has injuries but Geelong had a full strength team. That would be the team they would pick in a GF if they had a full healthy list.
We do have injuries and maybe with a full strength team, we would’ve won that. The game was lost in defence for us. We were unorganised in the back through the whole game. Bad turnover errors cost us big time. I am not overly pissed we lost but I do wonder if the likes of Farrell, Woodcock, Frederick etc are AFL standard. Good goal from Farrell but apart from that, a sweet FA.

Their list wasn’t as long as ours, but they were without Cam Guthrie who is their #1 midfielder these days (and used to always ream us when he wasn’t), and Gryan Miers.

It's ok guys.

The coaches are aware and are looking at it. The players are looking at it as well. I'm sure the board will have a little peeky-poo too. Everyone's looking at it and will talk about it and where they want to be.

They'll come up with some reasons and then just continue on their merry way.

Everything will come up roses. Hopefully. Fingers crossed.

It felt like Jonas had to do all the defensive one on one work. His punching saved us many times but everyone else was crap.

See, this is where our standards have been allowed to slip.

Oh, Jonas made a bunch of spoils and put the ball out of play 33 times for a 50-50 boundary throw in close to Geelong's goal. Fantastic.

And what's happening at the other end? Strong, decisive contest wins. Intercept marks, defenders playing in front, outnumber at the contest.

It's chalk and cheese. Our defence looks great against s**t teams that don't have good forward lines where their weaknesses are hidden and they can easily win the ball back and show off their attacking flair. But against the big boys, they're found wanting again and again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's the boom key position recruit "missing piece of the premiership puzzle".

See:
Patrick Ryder 2015
Charles Dixon 2016

Although I remember Dixon copped it from pretty early on and deservedly so I reckon.

This is my gripe. How many “missing pieces” have we recruited over the past few years to still be in the same position year after year. It’s just rinse and repeat and has been for a number of years

Forward pressure maybe, but not aerial contests. Jake Neade offered about as much marking prowess as Marshall does.

How many times do I have to debunk this myth with stats?

The ones that say he takes more contested marks a game than daniher Kennedy hipwood and until last night Tom hawkins?

I mean anyone who didn’t notice the difference in the treatment and attention dixon got last night versus every game with Marshall or the massive difference in intercept marks we conceded in this game has to be actively trying to ignore those things.

* me I just re-watched part of the last quarter and heard the (I'm pretty sure its Jobe Watson) bit about Lachie Jones. It's so much worse than I thought it was at the time... its just so detailed.

Lachie Jones is a small forward who has finally gotten his chance with Zak Butters out and has kicked his first goal...

How can someone be that stupid and ignorant, its unbelievable. Like why not just say "I don't know a lot about this kid but that's a great goal". He just on the spot invented an entire bullshit backstory. It makes me question everything he says about any player I don't know.

He got wrecked by a pretty terrible football player in Gary Rohan. Probably the worst game I've seen Jonas play and really not one that a captain can have.

Jonas on Rohan was a terrible match up. He never had the pace.

Jones is probably our only player with the size and pace required.

This is my gripe. How many “missing pieces” have we recruited over the past few years to still be in the same position year after year. It’s just rinse and repeat and has been for a number of years

2014: Jared Polec
2015: Paddy Ryder
2016: Charlie Dixon
2017: Paddy Ryder (back from susp.)
2018: Tom Rockliff, Steven Motlop, Jack Watts
2019: Scott Lycett, Ryan Burton
2021: Aliir Aliir

As Keith Thomas once said, Ken and his staff want for nothing.

As much as love him, I'm still pissed at Georgie. Not sure why he would go for a checkside from that pocket in the last at such a crucial time. Needs to get that sh*t out of his system and stick to drop punts.

How about Motlop out of bounds on the full? Had the chance to pass to Mitch as well.

180 games, $400k a year and you knew he wouldn't kick it. I had him pencilled in for a point but he out did himself.

Marshall lol
Bonnet lol
Woodcock lol
Farrell lol
Ladhams lol
Motlop lol

Why the * are these plebs anywhere near our afl team ?

Umpire number 1 needs a brick to his skull ...

Butters and X may be back.soon but remember they are kids they may take a while like rozee to find form ..

Lycett really ****ed us with a great tackle but he should no the afl liked gang banging us ....

Ken needs to go take Bassett and Voss go for a long walk off a mountain top....

We will make the finals win one lose the other in heartbreaking fashion...

Then watch the camrys rebuild and take.over us again

That's the way the New Port Adelaide is..

We existed to win premierships

We now exist to go ****ed by the umps and have s**t gameplans and a *head 10 year coach

Their list wasn’t as long as ours, but they were without Cam Guthrie who is their #1 midfielder these days (and used to always ream us when he wasn’t), and Gryan Miers.

Gryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back