Dogs land a beauty in Ugle-Hagan - but can they keep him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do indigenous players really not go to a club if there is no other indigenous players?
"Indigenous" is a term used to describe people from all walks of life all over this enormous country. Kids from the NT or WA or Qld or even most of SA are MUCH more likely to need high levels of support from people with similar life experiences than an Indigenous kid from, say, Redfern, or metro Melbourne, or most of Victoria.

Some indigenous kids would very likely make a decision re which club to move to based on its current indigenous staff or player group. Others wont give two hoots and would likely find the concept insulting. Buddy and JUH seem like the latter types.

As I said I am not bagging Naughton but you won't have that :rolleyes:

Hawkins is a terrible comparison, different era of football, Hawkins was considered a major disappointment until the GF in 2011, he was being played a relief ruck in a very dominant team that had established key forwards. And they are completely different styles of player.
Yet Hawkins early career was in a time that key position players kicked more goals than in Naughtons early career so your logic is flawed

It's the topic of this thread. I hope that WB are serious about fixing their cultural issues, like Richmond did, and aren't just taking the McGuire path and trying to counter their history with PR. Time will tell.
Ask Brett Goodes who was effusive in his praise.

of course BF posters would know more

You should be able to do both. I'm sure North or Hawthorn would be happy to help you guys with any advice. Or alternatively, take JUH off your hands if things don't work out.
I'm sure North, with all their recent success, would be full of amazing advice for struggling clubs like the Dogs. I envy the status North have been able to reach

I'm sure North, with all their recent success, would be full of amazing advice for struggling clubs like the Dogs. I envy the status North have been able to reach
Lol. I appreciate that the last ten years are the most successful in your club's history. Kudos. But let's not pretend they have been better than meh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the one. North actually won that game, despite the predictably lobsided free kick count.
Believe it or not, the free to Hunter wasn't even reversed when LT was maliciously attacked.

I have it on good authority Hunter was suffering delayed concussion when he crashed his car earlier this year. North might have a lawsuit on their hands that will sink the club.

Yet Hawkins early career was in a time that key position players kicked more goals than in Naughtons early career so your logic is flawed

Your comprehension is flawed, the first thing I posted was that it was a different era of football. I like the Dogs but your posters are starting to remind me of the hypersensitive souls over in WA.

Your comprehension is flawed, the first thing I posted was that it was a different era of football. I like the Dogs but your posters are starting to remind me of the hypersensitive souls over in WA.
Nothing wrong with my comprehension you might want to re read your posts

The Dogs poster pointed out that Naughtons stats at this time compare favourably with Hawkins at the same time of his career. You then used the argument that they can’t be compared as it was a different era. I made the point that the different era you referred to was one that favoured key forwards more than today ie if Hawkins stats in an era that more favoured key forwards were worse than Naughtons now then why would you move him out of the forward line?

Pretty simple I would have thought even for a confused Cat who can’t comprehend a counter argument without resorting to mindless personal attacks

Nothing wrong with my comprehension you might want to re read your posts

The Dogs poster pointed out that Naughtons stats at this time compare favourably with Hawkins at the same time of his career. You then used the argument that they can’t be compared as it was a different era. I made the point that the different era you referred to was one that favoured key forwards more than today ie if Hawkins stats in an era that more favoured key forwards were worse than Naughtons now then why would you move him out of the forward line?

Pretty simple I would have thought even for a confused Cat who can’t comprehend a counter argument without resorting to mindless personal attacks

I disagree. Have a nice day.

Dogs just signed Travis Varcoe into a development coach role and work in our indigenous programs. Will work with Marra. So that should help.

there is something called salary cap, to get him, 2 first rounders at least....

Dogs just signed Travis Varcoe into a development coach role and work in our indigenous programs. Will work with Marra. So that should help.

Nah, can't be. Posters in this thread are adamant that the Bulldogs have no interest in supporting JUH and building a culture supportive of indigenous talent.

Well, well, well:

Most recently, Ugle-Hagan was one of a number of players left behind as a large senior squad travelled out of Victoria to play given the state’s COVID-19 lockdown.

“There’s multiple clubs that have enquired about Ugle-Hagan’s willingness to entertain a trade in what it must be said has been a difficult debut season for him at Whitten Oval,” SEN reporter Sam Edmund said on Thursday.

“He has grown somewhat disillusioned with life at the Dogs this year.

Well, well, well:

lol. nothing but click bait

journalism these days are well and truly trash. From another thread (thanks to Virgin Dog )

Kicked 4 or 5 in a VFL practice match, looked decent.
Round 1 he kicked a couple goals, took some big grabs but otherwise looked cooked towards the end.
Round 2 he kicked 5.2
Round 3 he kicked a goal early, hurt this thumb and went to hospital mid-game as a precaution.
Round 4 he kicked a goal in the first, then got concussed and sat out the rest of the game.
Sat out the next two rounds (included our bye week) with concussion (club played it super cautious) and then lockdown happened.

He's barely had the chance to string together more than a couple games yet, and clearly doesn't have the match fitness, especially thanks to the year off from footy. Anyone suggesting he's been robbed of opportunity has no idea - kid has huge potential but is currently nowhere near debut thanks to the form of Bruce, Naughton and English, and this lockdown did him no favours.

lol. nothing but click bait

journalism these days are well and truly trash. From another thread (thanks to Virgin Dog )

Similar situation to Will Philips in that regard - that year out has really held back his ability to get match fitness.

(Apart from the fact that Will has played seniors, kicked a goal and re-signed for an extra two years)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back