Review Round 13, 2021 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Jed McEntee is certain to play this season. If you are an average AFL player like Woodcock, Farrell and Bonner you have got to have a supreme workrate which none of them have - they all lack hardness and commitment at all costs.
We have no room for nice footballers.
Looking forward to watching McEntee tomorrow. I think we recruited him because of how poor we’ve been locking it in our forward line. Farrell, Motlop and Woodcock are all deficient in their tackling / defensive efforts and Georgiades is also like a cardboard cutout this year.

Our defence is poo and we just can't execute like the other top sides.
Jonas gets a free ride too much IMO. Rarely stands up in the big games. When you look at our defense it's AA as the intercepting marker. Clurey to take the tallest opposition KPF and Jonas the next one. When we encounter sides with at least 2 genuine KPF's his 'plays taller' often fails or someone else gets to be the sacrificial lamb so he can take someone smaller, either another 'not quite KPD' or we sacrifice AA's strengths to cover Jonas's shortfalls.

If we could get a reasonable 195cm+ KPD through trading I'd be happy to have him out of the side next year, with Clurey, AA and <New guy> being the talls, with Burton, Houston, Jones as the smalls.

We're winless against genuinely good sides this year. Zero freaking wins.

Has a premiership team ever legitimately lost to every top 8 side in the regular season and come out on top?

Also not buying injury excuse, Geelong still had some outs and our ins don't fix the systemic issue of a sh*t effort.

We beat Richmond but yeah, would take a miracle to win a flag from here this year

We beat Richmond but yeah, would take a miracle to win a flag from here this year

Considering our system is non evident compared to the good teams, I'd say yeah.

This is 2015. all over, panicked changed our working game plan and go to s**t again.

If we could get a reasonable 195cm+ KPD through trading I'd be happy to have him out of the side next year

We had one but deemed him surplus after a season in which we conceded 90 points to Brown/Larkey in a game he didn’t play in.

100%. Bonner was in the right spot, the kick was not on, and gave him no chance. He was 3 on 1, so even when he brought the ball to ground, he had no chance.

He's an easy target, but Gray wouldn't have done any better in those situations. Just stupid passes that Geelong baited us into

The BIG problem with Bonner, is you know if its a 50/50 he will lose it 9 times out of 10 with a weak effort. He literally runs past opposition players with the ball with no attempt to tackle them. None! There was an incident in the middle of the ground, where he lost the ball through his usual insipidness, fell over, remained on the ground whilst a team mate tried to get the ball against a couple of Cats players, they take the ball away and then he decides to get up. I NEVER want to see him in our side again.

Premiership discussions are purely hypothetical at this point.

We've had 4 convincing losses in our 4 games against top 7 teams - the 2 away losses being totally uncompetitive and the 2 home losses being meek surrenders.

The way we are playing and the way the ladder is shaping, top 4 would be a miracle from here. And even from 3rd/4th we would still need to beat 2 top 4 teams away from home to win the flag.

Readjust your expectations if you're still thinking premiership. Let's see if we can make the finals first and then maybe win a final.

Played right into Geelong's hands when we slowed the game down.

Needed to take the game on but we reverted back to the stop start chipping it around garbage.

Port would have to be close to the worst kicking team in the comp. The number of times we kicked the ball in favour of the Geelong back's was mind boggling.

Feel like I'm reliving the same Port performances year in year out. It's so predictable I'm thinking of turning it into a bingo sheet for the old folks home.

Defence completely broke down in the last quarter. Jonas, Aliir and McKenzie were completely outpositioned and outsmarted. Jonas looks totally confused and slow to the contest, not captaincy material.

Some of Bonner's efforts were just so bizarre and haphazard. Jogging at half pace, waiting for cheap outside ball collects.

Some positives. Jones got the footy IQ of a 200 gamer. Rozee shows he still has it but isn't consistent enough. Wasn't Dixon's fault he had to made an example of.

2014: Jared Polec
2015: Paddy Ryder
2016: Charlie Dixon
2017: Paddy Ryder (back from susp.)
2018: Tom Rockliff, Steven Motlop, Jack Watts
2019: Scott Lycett, Ryan Burton
2021: Aliir Aliir

As Keith Thomas once said, Ken and his staff want for nothing.

What about Jimmy Toumpas in a losing team

fu** me I just re-watched part of the last quarter and heard the (I'm pretty sure its Jobe Watson) bit about Lachie Jones. It's so much worse than I thought it was at the time... its just so detailed.

Lachie Jones is a small forward who has finally gotten his chance with Zak Butters out and has kicked his first goal...

How can someone be that stupid and ignorant, its unbelievable. Like why not just say "I don't know a lot about this kid but that's a great goal". He just on the spot invented an entire bullshit backstory. It makes me question everything he says about any player I don't know.
What about when he said "the atmosphere here is unbelievable" He was in a studio in Melbourne..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've officially lost my love of football due to this mob.
Get no pleasure going anymore. Or even watching on tv.

Last night even the individual flashes of brilliance didn't get me jumping out of my seat. Just elicited ssome polite applause, as I waited for the (inevitable) collapse under pressure.

It's just like pulling teeth watching us stagger, stumble and stutter to defeat - or lurch to unconvincing wins against cellar dwellars.

We play a handful of minutes of decent, hard tackling, strong running football for parts of most quarters. But these are sandwiched between long periods af dull, dreary, risk free chipping and stop/start play, lack of accountably, insipid tackle pressure, looking at each other like deer in headlights whilst the oppo swoop in and take the ball from us. Not to mention (ok, I will mention it), indecision, pulling out of contests, no two-way running, unforgiveable skill errors and decision making that would embarrass Auskick kids, poor body language (hands on hips, heass bowed).

It's a slow torture. And after all these years, you would think coaches and players would have had enough, and know what to do and whatnot to do. But no! Same old playbook.

Definition: "stupidity".
Expecting results to change by repeating past errors.

That's our mob.

If I get no pleasure anymore, maybe best I just fade into the sunset and avoid heart attacks and hypertension.

I guess the difference is, his best is very good, and he’s only half a season in at a new club. Even as an experienced player, it still takes awhile to bed into a new system, and develop familiarity and chemistry with teammates, especially as a defensive formation.
I've got issues with his one on one ability and overall physicality. He is very athletic and can intercept and rebound at speed, but even that was a let down last night. We needed a player to lockdown the forward beasts of the comp, that's what i was hoping Allir would be but he is terrible one on one. He gets pushed aside easily and has actually pulled out of a few contests, which is one of footballs greatest sins for mine.

Like our team in general he looks great against the poor teams but was exposed badly last night from what probably is the best forward line in the competition.

His skills are also shocking, he was one of the main culprits for the turnover.

I think we are missing Clurey more than we realise.

Looking forward to watching McEntee tomorrow. I think we recruited him because of how poor we’ve been locking it in our forward line. Farrell, Motlop and Woodcock are all deficient in their tackling / defensive efforts and Georgiades is also like a cardboard cutout this year.

yep defiantly a spot available if hes good enough. Woodcock and farell out. raz and ? McEntee in ?

Aliir has definitely been down for three weeks. Can’t remember how he went against Bulldogs.
With Clurey out and our other 'KPDs' not actually KPD's he's been forced to play tighter. A role he's not that great at and simultaneously reducing his effectiveness at intercepting. Our reluctance to draft KPD's outside late speculative picks (especially a 195cm+ one that can man a Hawkins, Cameron etc. type) yet again a major contributing factor in a loss against a side with two quality KPF's. Inside mid's and at least one 195cm+ KPD have been shown repeatedly this year as our most pressing needs through draft and trade periods.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back