Play Nice 2021 Crowds and Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port are the second team in Australia's fifth city whose metropolis is only 1.3M (4th is comfortably over 2m now). Their attendances are phenomenal

In addition they supposedly have 40 per cent market share in that market.

Which places them at about the same mark as the middle Victorian club.

How many Victorian clubs average 30k to 35k of their fans (give or take) at games in Victoria against non Victorian teams?

Is anyone with a Herald Sun subscription or a firewall work around able to extract the numbers out of this article?
They're basically saying they expect 50% crowd caps for Victorian games in Round 14.

AFL crowds for Round 14 are expected to start at 50 per cent capacity in Melbourne then take about a month to build to 85 per cent capacity.

The Geelong-Western Bulldogs game will be played at GMHBA Stadium which has lesser restrictions than Melbourne, while North Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium clash against Brisbane could yet be moved to Tasmania.

If the game remains at Marvel Stadium the league might opt to open the roof to make it an outdoor stadium and give it a greater chance of 50 per cent crowds.

The league will hope to have approval for its crowd plan by early in the week to sell tickets for matches including the Cats’ Friday night home game.

But at this stage Melbourne residents are only allowed to travel 25km so could not buy tickets for that game then travel down the highway to GMHBA Stadium.

They're basically saying they expect 50% crowd caps for Victorian games in Round 14.

AFL crowds for Round 14 are expected to start at 50 per cent capacity in Melbourne then take about a month to build to 85 per cent capacity.

The Geelong-Western Bulldogs game will be played at GMHBA Stadium which has lesser restrictions than Melbourne, while North Melbourne’s Marvel Stadium clash against Brisbane could yet be moved to Tasmania.

If the game remains at Marvel Stadium the league might opt to open the roof to make it an outdoor stadium and give it a greater chance of 50 per cent crowds.

The league will hope to have approval for its crowd plan by early in the week to sell tickets for matches including the Cats’ Friday night home game.

But at this stage Melbourne residents are only allowed to travel 25km so could not buy tickets for that game then travel down the highway to GMHBA Stadium.

Thanks parano1a , though after the fox kayo ratings for the Colling v crows match....maybe I gave the wrong link?

Can't find the herald sun version of this now but here is geelong ady

though after the fox kayo ratings for the Colling v crows match....maybe I gave the wrong link?
OK, the article doesn't give any actual figures it just says the following (talking about Fox Footy I think, doesn't mention Kayo specifically):

Collingwood’s gutsy win over the Crows at Adelaide Oval on twilight Saturday was the highest rating regular season game of all time.

That match outperformed last year’s Round 2 game between Collingwood and Richmond — the competition’s return from that Covid-19-imposed shutdown.

On face value, that’s a poor crowd. A match between supposedly two grand final aspirants doesn’t draw 30,000??

Surely Thursday night slot is the reason only. Otherwise Port have real issues with their ability to draw crowds.

Normally you’d think a matchup of this quality must be drawing upwards of 40,000 towards Thursday night football, at least 20% of fans won’t go to this slot.
I think we need to consider the slight downturn in crowds regarding COVID. While its true, Thursday night games will draw slightly lower crowds, the financial incentives in playing in a prime time game (nationally) is more advantageous than having a few more people at the ground.

I think we need to consider the slight downturn in crowds regarding COVID. While its true, Thursday night games will draw slightly lower crowds, the financial incentives in playing in a prime time game (nationally) is more advantageous than having a few more people at the ground.

From my perspective, I think we have to be careful not to let Covid weaken our proud tradition of high attendances at games. It's think it's easy to underestimate just how much that level of engagement contributes to the continued success of the code.

Giving tv everything they want at the expense of fans who attend matches would do a lot of harm in the long term that IMO outweighs the initial financial gain.

From my perspective, I think we have to be careful not to let Covid weaken our proud tradition of high attendances at games. It's think it's easy to underestimate just how much that level of engagement contributes to the continued success of the code.

Giving tv everything they want at the expense of fans who attend matches would do a lot of harm in the long term that IMO outweighs the initial financial gain.

I think it's important to remember also that, even if you heavily weight the importance of crowds, it's not an absolute. For instance if it is the difference between 10% lower crowds for 15 games and $40M less in annual TV rights (plus sponsorships and other knock ons) than clearly it is worthwhile

The only Melbourne teams that can get 35k against interstate teams would be Essendon, Richmond and maybe Carlton. I would say Collingwood, but their results this year prove otherwise.

We've averaged 42k against interstate teams at our home ground for 20 years, despite basically never playing the biggest of them (Sydney) in that time. I think we can be added to the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've averaged 42k against interstate teams at our home ground for 20 years, despite basically never playing the biggest of them (Sydney) in that time. I think we can be added to the list.
I should correct myself, haha. I meant Collingwood currently. Your fans don't seem to turn up as well when you're not playing as well, but an inform collingwood would draw crowds similar to other big teams.

I should correct myself, haha. I meant Collingwood currently. Your fans don't seem to turn up as well when you're not playing as well, but an inform collingwood would draw crowds similar to other big teams.

"Draw bigger crowds than other big vic teams"

I think you'll find over the long term Collingwood's crowd lows (with a couple of outliers) have been significantly higher than the other three big Melbourne clubs

OK, the article doesn't give any actual figures it just says the following (talking about Fox Footy I think, doesn't mention Kayo specifically):

Collingwood’s gutsy win over the Crows at Adelaide Oval on twilight Saturday was the highest rating regular season game of all time.

That match outperformed last year’s Round 2 game between Collingwood and Richmond — the competition’s return from that Covid-19-imposed shutdown.

That's annoying. I'm keen to develop a picture of streaming numbers relative to fox box numbers.

The Collingwood Richmond re-opener last year had a fox average of 342K. Collingwood Adelaide last week got 268K which implies its streaming numbers exceeded last years game by at least 74K.

For the few games were streaming numbers have been provided, AFL games seems to get high 50s to 60% of their foxtel ratings in streaming.

At 60%, that would imply streaming numbers of 161K. But that would mean that the Collingwood Richmond game only got 25% streaming compared with fox box.....so it must have been higher still

Does anyone know what the foxtel regular season record is for an AFL match?

Have to resort to quoting myself from this thread a few weeks ago:

This doesn't stack up, but it gets trotted out whenever Collingwood have a poor crowd.

Carlton and Richmond are about 20% and 15% lower against interstate sides when not playing finals. Essendon are at least closer, only about 5% worse off.

I look forward to seeing the same comments again when we play Freo at Docklands next month.

In retrospect I was a fool for thinking it would take until our Freo game for the same thing to be brought up again.

It sounds like we could be looking at a record low Hobart AFL crowd this weekend.The team playing north has never drawn well but being a 3.20 start and with tickets on sale late plus no Victorians in Attendance it will be interesting to see how many attend.

The only Melbourne teams that can get 35k against interstate teams would be Essendon, Richmond and maybe Carlton. I would say Collingwood, but their results this year prove otherwise.
in 2017. when we played at Marvel, we averaged 33,750 vs interstate teams.

Excluded our games at Cazaly and Mars for obvious reasons.

This year is basically another write-off crowd wise due to COVID.

"Draw bigger crowds than other big vic teams"

I think you'll find over the long term Collingwood's crowd lows (with a couple of outliers) have been significantly higher than the other three big Melbourne clubs
Whilst I’m not going to be stupid enough to suggest Collingwood isn’t the biggest of the Melbourne based clubs, I will argue that Collingwood’s low watermark home crowds against interstate clubs are not that much ahead of the Bombers (excl 2016 outlier year for Bombers).

Pretty sure the Pies and Bombers interstate lower level crowds are nearly like for like. The Pies probably in front mainly as a result of playing most of their home games at the MCG which achieves marginally higher crowds with MCC and AFL member bays allowing for the more casual / neutrals to attend and add a layer on top of the base crowds.

Hobart will definitely be looking at their lowest ever AFL crowd tomorrow with only 2000 tickets sold for the game as of this morning,will be interesting to see the final figure.

Hobart will definitely be looking at their lowest ever AFL crowd tomorrow with only 2000 tickets sold for the game as of this morning,will be interesting to see the final figure.

Pull your finger out Kangaroos! Seriously market the games better!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back