Review Round 13, 2021 vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the difference is, his best is very good, and he’s only half a season in at a new club. Even as an experienced player, it still takes awhile to bed into a new system, and develop familiarity and chemistry with teammates, especially as a defensive formation.
Please don't let him "bed into our system" or we will have seen the last of his talent. Our system is broken.

Gold coast we'll beat us.
We'll miss the 8.
Nah, almost wish they would. Instead it'll be 'The boys bounced back really well'. As we limp along to another 6-10 finish, for the delusional to point at that we're 'close and just need a bit of luck with injuries'.

Can't figure out why we changed from a high intensity forward half team to a lax back half team in two seasons? It worked well, why change it?

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using Tapatalk
The ball gets walked out of our defense at stoppage with chain of handball. I watched a stoppage last night in our forward 50 where we did not have one player standing goal side of the stoppage. The ball gets hit to the dangerous part of the ground and there was 4 cats raffling it of to eachother to run it out.

yeah didn’t think of him actually and Miers as well. I still think our list was significantly more depleted and with Marshall being an early out, added to that.
Marshall out early hurt a lot, assuming that he would have competed much harder in the aerial contests than either Georgiades or Woodcock did.

Our forward line doesn't have the right balance at present. We've got a lot of downhill skier types in our forward 50 who don't win or halve contests or work hard to keep the ball locked in.

I'm not sure about having a small as the medical sub. I reckon Garner could plug and play more positions.

It's lucky we didn't lose a tall early, eh?

(I don't think Garner would have been the answer last night. I was picking from those mentioned in the Club's selection post)

We won't beat sydney.
I legitimately hope we don’t I’m past it

It’s death riding time now, there isn’t a combination of players/assistant coaches/ fitness personnel who can compensate for a senior coach who is happy to have a team play with no system for kicking through half back into the forward line

I don’t know what people think “depth” is, but I can tell you what it’s not.

It’s not losing your best ruck (Lycett), second best key defender (Clurey), most damaging player (Butters), best two way runner (Duursma), a guy who can create something out of nothing (Fantasia) before a ball is even bounced...and then lose your second key forward in Marshall and have to replace him with a guy who is probably 30th on your list in Woodcock because Ladhams, Farrell, Bonner, Bergman and Jones are already playing, Rockliff is injured and Hartlett is out of form.

Depth is players 23-26. Drew is depth when Butters and Duursma are fit. Bergman is depth. One of Georgiades/Marshall/Ladhams is depth. McKenzie is depth. Rockliff is now depth. Hartlett is now depth.

Bonner, Farrell and Woodcock? Not depth. You’re cutting into bone with those three.

As for the game - we still make too many boneheaded rookie errors to be considered a genuine premiership threat. Aliir and his s**t kick to Woofcock when we were all over them and pressing forward. Amon kicking to who the * knows when he could have had a ping. Kicking to a known soft utensil in Bonner who was then forced into a three on one aerial contest he was never going to win. Not hitting a free corridor target from a kick in that resulted in a goal.

Speaking of soft utensil Bonner - I’m getting incredibly tired of him presenting an option on a lead that would be a 10m kick at best. He’s not pulling opponents out of position, he’ll never be used - so why does he ******* do it?

I’m Kevin Sorbo levels of disappointed right now.

EDIT: Woofcock was a typo, but after thinking about it, I’m going to leave it in. He certainly consumed a fair satchel of units during the game last night.

Last edited:
It's lucky we didn't lose a tall early, eh?

(I don't think Garner would have been the answer last night. I was picking from those mentioned in the Club's selection post)

At least we would have known Garner was out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if this has been posted but no Cameron we win last night. The fact that a GF team can pick up another gun from the expansion clubs p*sses me off big time. Richmond have one of their flags coz they picked up Lynch. Sick of gun GC & GWS players going back to Vic premiership contenders.
Charlie Dixon?

I'm watching the replay, 9:03 to go in the 2d quarter after Georgiades kicks his goal from 45m out after a beautiful low pass from Bonner into nice open space, its 8.2 50 v 4.5 29. So after 31 minutes of game time we are 21 pts up.

Some stats upto then, Drew 7 tackles (10 for the game) intercepts marks 2 v 9 ( 7v18) and marks I50 4 v 7 (9v18) which had resulted in 3.1 v 3.2 from those marks I50.

So the next 2 quarters and 9 minutes ie 49 minutes of game time, the scores were 6.5 v 13.5 and all the issues we have against good sides are exposed again - dumb errors, poor choices, bombing inside 50, and our short defence is exposed.

I genuinely thought after the getting so close in 2014 then coughing 2015-18 up, we would’ve learnt from that this time around. But no. We’re a good team but we’re coached so badly into playing dumb football.

I saw Woodcock out there when he was trying to outmark Henderson in our defence. That was a great match up.

If he was another 45cm taller, that might have been a contest :p

It's not like he was about to do this to Lachie Henderson ;)

I haven't read through this thread.
Was there ever an answer given as to why we didn't man up the third man who was constantly double teaming Dixon? Or why that didn't create an open player we could go through?

I haven't read through this thread.
Was there ever an answer given as to why we didn't man up the third man who was constantly double teaming Dixon? Or why that didn't create an open player we could go through?

Man him up isn’t really a thing.

You’re either dangerous enough to draw the defender to you when the high ball is coming in or not.

The more comfortable the defender feels he can slack off the more he will.

Seeing lots of reports of our players looking gassed compared to Geelong, kind of concerning considering they're old as fu** right?

I thought as soon as we started running cats players went into panic mode. They didn’t want to run at all.

We allowed them to slow the game down thanks to turnovers

See, this is where our standards have been allowed to slip.

Oh, Jonas made a bunch of spoils and put the ball out of play 33 times for a 50-50 boundary throw in close to Geelong's goal. Fantastic.

And what's happening at the other end? Strong, decisive contest wins. Intercept marks, defenders playing in front, outnumber at the contest.

It's chalk and cheese. Our defence looks great against sh*t teams that don't have good forward lines where their weaknesses are hidden and they can easily win the ball back and show off their attacking flair. But against the big boys, they're found wanting again and again.
Nothing 50-50 about a boundary throw in close to Geelong‘s goal. Even with Lycett those aren’t 50-50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back