Adam Goodes declines Hall of Fame invitation

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
So if you ever boo an indigenous player for something personal that has nothing to do with race, it will always be a racist attack if that indigenous players thinks it is?

they won’t answer that question directly ... they’ll deflect.
.... people booed Adam because of his actions on the ground ... he then turned it into a race issue.
I agree it got out of hand ... but to suggest that Adam doesn’t have to except responsibility for his actions is bullshit.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Is it? What if there was a different motivation?

If a person who is indigenous tells you to stop something, but you don't stop, are you racist?

If it is not Racism, than at the very least it is bullying, given how Adam said it affected him and his mental health (the constant booing)

You would have to be a very spiteful and immature person to boo Goodes anyway.

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Is it? What if there was a different motivation?

If a person who is indigenous tells you to stop something, but you don't stop, are you racist?
That fact that Goodes and his teammates and other Indigenous Players pleaded with the public to stop booing Adam, but kept on booing anyway is very much racism at work.

So all booing towards aboriginal players in the future is Racist?
but booing Dangerfield is not racist?

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
If it is not Racism, than at the very least it is bullying, given how Adam said it affected him and his mental health (the constant booing)

So his on field actions had nothing to do with people booing him?

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sure, no one is arguing that is wasn't spiteful or immature. I'm glad we agree that it was bullying and not racism.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Has it really come to this? Someone's right to boo overrides everything else?

All I can say is, given our sad, sad history of dispossession, cultural obliteration and genocide against indigenous Australians, if someone indigenous asked me to stop booing them, ****** yeah, I'd stop, even though it infringed on my precious right to free booing. Call me an old softy.

Sure, you can call those people assholes for not stopping to boo because we should be extra nice to aboriginal players if you want, but being an arsehole is not being racist, which is what the argument is about.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Point remains; he simply wasn't booed exclusively due to his Aboriginality or the colour of his skin. Thats the narrative, that a random group of approximately 30k-50k fans, who were strangers to one another, collectively acted in cahoots and booed him solely for being Aboriginal/outspoken about his Aboriginality week after week. That is clearly a narrative built on political motivation, ulterior motive and falsehoods. I will accept there may have been a minority of racially motivated individuals partaking but certainly no more than exists at any other point in AFL's history.
So he wasnt booed by the crowd with every touch for 10+ years until he spoke out about racism in the game and society, after which he was booed by the crowd anytime he went near it.

Yeah, nothing racially motivated, was all just a big coincidence and misunderstanding...

So if you ever boo an indigenous player for something personal that has nothing to do with race, it will always be a racist attack if that indigenous players thinks it is?
Disingenuous post -come back when you grow up

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Has it really come to this? Someone's right to boo overrides everything else?

All I can say is, given our sad, sad history of dispossession, cultural obliteration and genocide against indigenous Australians, if someone indigenous asked me to stop booing them, ****** yeah, I'd stop, even though it infringed on my precious right to free booing. Call me an old softy.

Wow ... your crusade for reconciliation is so noble.
It’s like your are treating the issue like you are treating pet...

Adam is a big boy... he was big enough to stand up and ask Carlton supporters to “bring it on” ...
.... so you can booo until we tell you to stop!!!! Like WTF.

Round and round we go. Such an edifying discussion.
yes or no would have been suffice.

the sad thing is, people like you and I are actually on the same team when it comes to making Australia a better place for all, including Aboriginals.
I’m the first to admit I’ve been racist it the past ...and I felt it was justified at the time... I’ve copped racism in the past ..had my life threat for no reason other than I was white.. . ive lived and breathed the ingrained issues facing Aboriginals ..

Being ignorant is an excuse ..... knowing that people are ignorant and having different perceptions is important .. education, teaching and excepting is the answer.
They way Goodes dealt with his situation did nothing but cause a divide.
Oh oh oh stop now ... stop booing ... from now on it’s racist ???

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
So he wasnt booed by the crowd with every touch for 10+ years until he spoke out about racism in the game and society, after which he was booed by the crowd anytime he went near it.

Yeah, nothing racially motivated, was all just a big coincidence and misunderstanding...
He wasn’t booed for 10+ years FFS ... stop rewriting history.

2014 round 6 .... watch the reception he is given 5 minutes to go 3qtr.
Was cheered all game ... first game back from being named Australian of the year ...

it’s actually very good.

Why can you never ever actually answer any questions? All you do is deflect everything?

It's a legitimate question, why can't you answer it?
Well you either a 12 year old kid or english isnt your first language. The term "likely to be misinterpreted" is not ambiguous, you just chose to ignore that because either a) you are 12 years old or b) english isn't your first language. Their is a c) you are a racist and choose to ignore language that doesn't suit your agenda but meh - I gave you the benefit of doubt and said you are not c. But if you are c, then you can go and f*k yourself :)

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well you either a 12 year old kid or english isnt your first language. The term "likely to be misinterpreted" is not ambiguous, you just chose to ignore that because either a) you are 12 years old or b) english isn't your first language. Their is a c) you are a racist and choose to ignore language that doesn't suit your agenda but meh - I gave you the benefit of doubt and said you are not c. But if you are c, then you can go and f*k yourself :)

" Racist actions are actions that denigrate or hurt another on the basis of their race. The qualification is how the target interprets the language used, not what your primary intent was. And if it was used knowing that it was likely to be misinterpreted, then that qualifies as being racist every day of the week. "

Who decides what is "likely to be misinterpreted"? People interpret non-racist things as racist regularly, especially those who are constantly trying to find racism everywhere. So once again, if someone who wants to view everything as racist, interprets your non-racist action as racist, then you're a racist if you do that action? That is your point, correct? You reckon that logic stacks up?

Back