The Non-Footy Sports Discussion Thread

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
They’re actually worse, a franchise started and owned by News Limited.

The comparisons between set up arrangements with the Giants and Suns are disingenuous given rugby league operates with an unadulterated system of free agency, it’s far easier to put together a competitive roster from day one.

No one doubts that the Storm have been hugely successful but the hypocrisy from those who slag off the Giants and Suns as franchises is breathtaking.

The major difference being that at Suns or Gws game you could get on the loud speaker and repeat this at the games without incident, literally crickets - you mention this in the outer at a Storm game and you’ll be lynched by Maori’s.

We are a proper club, with proper fans and we are the shining light in a village/essentially amateur hour sport.

We are not owned by News Limited, we are owned by Gerry Ryan and cohorts you disingenuous mole.

The major difference being that at Suns or Gws game you could get on the loud speaker and repeat this at the games without incident, literally crickets - you mention this in the outer at a Storm game and you’ll be lynched by Maori’s.

We are a proper club, with proper fans and we are the shining light in a village/essentially amateur hour sport.

We are not owned by News Limited, we are owned by Gerry Ryan and cohorts you disingenuous mole.
Heaps of kids have been going to Suns games for years. Some of those kids would be adults now. 20 years old or so. And they still pump the free games out to kids. If the suns score more than 60 points ie the equivalent of 10 goals, then the kids get free Big Macs at any GC Maccas, win lose or draw. My kids mate goes to games when his ex's mum takes them, which is a few times a year. This kid is an NRL supporter and plays jr league but still goes to a few AFL games a year. Same happened with my bro/sis in laws kids nearly a decade ago and other kids I know from the coast.

If the Suns get their s**t together and win a flag or two all these kids will suddenly jump on their bandwagon and some might stay on there.

That would have already happened if the Suns were as well run as the Storm but the Goldy is where sporting teams go to die so they may not make it.

It is a potentially good strategy tho, if they win a flag or even a few in the next 5 years.

Heaps of kids have been going to Suns games for years. Some of those kids would be adults now. 20 years old or so. And they still pump the free games out to kids. If the suns score more than 60 points ie the equivalent of 10 goals, then the kids get free Big Macs at any GC Maccas, win lose or draw. My kids mate goes to games when his ex's mum takes them, which is a few times a year. This kid is an NRL supporter and plays jr league but still goes to a few AFL games a year. Same happened with my bro/sis in laws kids nearly a decade ago and other kids I know from the coast.

If the Suns get their sh*t together and win a flag or two all these kids will suddenly jump on their bandwagon and some might stay on there.

That would have already happened if the Suns were as well run as the Storm but the Goldy is where sporting teams go to die so they may not make it.

It is a potentially good strategy tho, if they win a flag or even a few in the next 5 years.
The Suns should have cheated like The Storm did!

They’re actually worse, a franchise started and owned by News Limited.

The comparisons between set up arrangements with the Giants and Suns are disingenuous given rugby league operates with an unadulterated system of free agency, it’s far easier to put together a competitive roster from day one.

No one doubts that the Storm have been hugely successful but the hypocrisy from those who slag off the Giants and Suns as franchises is breathtaking.

The notion that passionate sport supporters can be anything other than hypocritical is a fallacy. As for me I passionately support North Melbourne (since 1986), Luton Town (since 1963) and Manchester United (since 1963). How’s them for hypocritical apples. Oh, and I, also, not so passionately, support Melbourne Storm - because they’re the only Melbourne team. I will say that Melbourne Storm are a fantastic outfit, regardless of where they’re from. Show me a supporter and I’ll show you a self-serving hypocrite every day of the week. 🤣

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

If the Suns get their sh*t together and win a flag or two all these kids will suddenly jump on their bandwagon and some might stay on there.

I’m across the incredible work the AFL is doing in QLD and the explosion of Auskick Numbers etc... I’ve been a huge supporter of GC on this site, even at their worst (I’m up there quite a bit) - I agree with everything you say about future bums on seats, transition to fully fledged diehards like ‘us’.

But the Storm is a proper Club in the NRL mate, zero HQ support in fact the opposite. It has commentators actively hating on them and barracking against them, has insanely biased judicial sentences handed out to star players on the eve of Grand Finals regularly.

But let’s just compartmentalise their development of kids/misfits/ne’erdowells into strong characters revered competition wide. They have literally revolutionised the Sport and brought an AFL level of professionalism that the other Clubs “can’t go with”.

They have played in 72 of a possible 90 finals since inception! Seventy ******* two.

Origin Level players leaving every season basically, I dunno mate, they have claims on being the best Club in the World of any sport.

Comparing them to GC or GWS is laughable.

I’m across the incredible work the AFL is doing in QLD and the explosion of Auskick Numbers etc... I’ve been a huge supporter of GC on this site, even at their worst (I’m up there quite a bit) - I agree with everything you say about future bums on seats, transition to fully fledged diehards like ‘us’.

But the Storm is a proper Club in the NRL mate, zero HQ support in fact the opposite. It has commentators actively hating on them and barracking against them, has insanely biased judicial sentences handed out to star players on the eve of Grand Finals regularly.

But let’s just compartmentalise their development of kids/misfits/ne’erdowells into strong characters revered competition wide. They have literally revolutionised the Sport and brought an AFL level of professionalism that the other Clubs “can’t go with”.

They have played in 72 of a possible 90 finals since inception! Seventy ******* two.

Origin Level players leaving every season basically, I dunno mate, they have claims on being the best Club in the World of any sport.

Comparing them to GC or GWS is laughable.
With better admin the Giants could emulate them.

Definitely well run tho.

The bloke who chucked in the Australian position because of trolling pressure thought a gig with an Old Firm club would be a nice relaxing career option?
More the bloke who hated the factions in Aust media, but yeah, it could turn nasty if he isn’t careful
Still, he walks into a team that overall isn’t too bad, Gers will win it next year but he most likely will be given the year to establish himself, Celtic will be second
Think it’s not a bad move for both

I will and agree on Belgium however I see them choking.
Thought that about Spain until they won it, can see the Belgians having a great campaign though, them vs Portugal for the final?

Italy would be my pick to win it. Belgium is who I want to see win. Croatia is my dark horse team.
Italy are a weird one, think they can go far but not sure that far

I just want to see Poms choke for shits and giggles.
Too many Poms have put money on them, talent wise they won’t leave early unless they finish 2nd, but it’s been a very long year for most of their side, I think they won’t go beyond semis

Mate, I'm from Perth. Went and watched the Reds once, but league is such a sh*t game.

Rugby: The game they play in heaven.
League: The game they play in gaol.
God, the Reds feel like several lifetimes ago…

Like when Adrian Barich could fit into offices

God, the Reds feel like several lifetimes ago…

Like when Adrian Barich could fit into offices
Sat behind Barich in the movies once. He kept commentating the movie to his kids and I had to tell him to STFU. That Eagles side was full of so many meat heads.

Nothing gives me more HAPPINESS and NOSTALGIA than the 2014 word cup.

Was in grade six and stayed up every night with my mum on the couch to watch the World Cup, I would wake her up ever time Messi was on the screen.

Since 2019 I haven’t really followed soccer because of general lack of interest but I think I’ll have a look at these euros.

Last euros i would stay over at a friends to watch the games, a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Back