Club Legend
Mar 26, 2009
Dallas, Texas
AFL Club
Richmond
You can throw all the numbers at me as you like.lol
Drafting isn't an exact science.
Part Planning/Development/Luck.
Ironically we could be the case study into how and why.
WTF did we turn Rookies into premiership players etc.lol
I just think with a top 5 pick.You'd get it more right than wrong.

You’re totally correct, it isn’t an exact science. To me there two ways of maximising the odds. One is to try and get a top five pick, but that is extraordinarily difficult and expensive. The other is have as many balls as possible in the lottery. That's why I would always prefer say multiple picks in the teens than say one in the top ten. You can always get sliders who turn out to be top ten talents. Plus clubs rates draftees differently. A perfect example is Bolton who we took at 29 but the Magpies on their board had him at 11 (and whom were famously distraught that we did so as they had the next pick).

Anyhow unless you are guaranteed another Dustin Martin, I always prefer as many picks as possible in the top 20 or 30, especially if it's a strong draft. You can address more needs and you do have more chances to snare another Bolton or Fyfe or Cripps or Rance or Riewoldt or Grundy etc etc. Plus I'll be honest it just makes draft night more exciting.

I would back our recruitment team every time.

Yes we got Dusty with 3, Cotch with 2, Dion with (essentially) 6.

But we’ve got Baker, Lambert, Grimes, Shorty, Georgey, Houli, Pickett, Soldo, Aartsy, Broady all from the Rookie Draft, Pre-Season Draft, Mid-Season Draft or late in the Nat Draft.

And turned mid/late first rounders or early second rounders into Vlas, Balta, Jack, Rance, Shedda.

Yes we’ve had genuine misses like Lennon and C.Ellis but apart from that really, Conca was screwed by injury after injury, B.Ellis didn’t fit our mould and genuinely might go close to BnF with the Suns, Rioli is an 100 game 3x Premiership player and was an integral part of our restoration in 2017, Higgo looks actually ok at the Saints as a high half forward and it’s far too early to call it on RCD, dude has only just starting forging his way into senior footy and has shown signs aplenty.

Our list isn’t just built well. It’s built to win flags. And we’ve won 3, with Dusty still with at least 3-5 years in the tank, Bolton, Balta and Baker young and some green shoots in RCD, HRS, CCJ, Mansell, Naish etc.

I back our list management, trade and recruiting guys every time. The Nank/Dion/Caddy offseason (and drafting Bolton and Graham!!!) arguably has set up our next 5 years. The downsides are Caddy is a 50-50, Garth a miss, Stengle left straight away, but the other 4 gets will carry us into the 20’s with serious quality.

We have 2x1sts, 2x2nds. We will hit with at least one of those you’d have to think. And Cerra is a serious player. If we have Cerra and a 1st and a 2nd at the time of the draft, I will be moonwalking.

Thats a good way of looking it.

If we did use our 2 x firsts on Cerra who is proven quality and yet to peak, we would still have 2 2nd rounders with one in the early 20's which isnt bad.

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
Thats a good way of looking it.

If we did use our 2 x firsts on Cerra who is proven quality and yet to peak, we would still have 2 2nd rounders with one in the early 20's which isnt bad.

Freo would want our 2 1sts and will try and play hard ball (you will hear the old, he can go to the preseason draft and play for insert bottom team) but i doubt very much we will give them both our firsts. Freo wont want to lose a Cerra for nothing in return.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Freo would want our 2 1sts and will try and play hard ball (you will hear the old, he can go to the preseason draft and play for insert bottom team) but i doubt very much we will give them both our firsts. Freo wont want to lose a Cerra for nothing in return.
We are going to have to lose a player to fit Cerra into the cap, and to re-sign Bolton. So could be player and pick if the deal gets done

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
We are going to have to lose a player to fit Cerra into the cap, and to re-sign Bolton. So could be player and pick if the deal gets done

Maybe but I still believe we wouldn't be chasing Cerra if we couldn't afford him. We aren't Collingwood.

Id love to know how much of a pay cut Jack just took to play on next year, also I'd be interested to see if Cotchin (personal choice) Houli (end of his career) play on next season and how much that would free up our cap?

Last edited:

Grechy

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, Houston Rockets
I was not going to post about houli mainly because i know him well personally and know a few of his family also but for people who are sying he has dropped off and not playing well and is now no longer the player he was.

Maybe just do a little research

Happy to be proven wrong but from a visual perspective he looks a tad slower. This is also not personal, we love the guy and have seen him fishing many times.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I was too, at the time I thought we payed overs and it was a reaction on missing out on Treloar. We were in the market for a proven midfielder it now looks like it was a genius move. Now I'd much prefer meatballs to Treloar, he fits our list much better.
Treloar would've asked for a trade to the Pies after 1st training session.
They had a better list.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
You’re totally correct, it isn’t an exact science. To me there two ways of maximising the odds. One is to try and get a top five pick, but that is extraordinarily difficult and expensive. The other is have as many balls as possible in the lottery. That's why I would always prefer say multiple picks in the teens than say one in the top ten. You can always get sliders who turn out to be top ten talents. Plus clubs rates draftees differently. A perfect example is Bolton who we took at 29 but the Magpies on their board had him at 11 (and whom were famously distraught that we did so as they had the next pick).

Anyhow unless you are guaranteed another Dustin Martin, I always prefer as many picks as possible in the top 20 or 30, especially if it's a strong draft. You can address more needs and you do have more chances to snare another Bolton or Fyfe or Cripps or Rance or Riewoldt or Grundy etc etc. Plus I'll be honest it just makes draft night more exciting.
Pro's and cons to both sides.But i'd still prefer a top 5 pick if we lost someone of equal standing in the game.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
11 & 16 for Cerra & Pick 27?
We then have:Cerra/26/27/30.
Freo:8/11/16.

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah I'm not too fussed if the club decides to go all in for Cerra. We nail more late picks than any other club anyway.

It woukd be nice to get a highly rated key forward in the draft if we can though and the good ones are rarely found outside the first couple rounds.
Heard the possibility of gc willing to trade their first rd pick for ccj.
We would then keep that pick (it’s be somewhere between 5-8 I believe) and trade our two later first rounders for cerra.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Heard the possibility of gc willing to trade their first rd pick for ccj.
We would then keep that pick (it’s be somewhere between 5-8 I believe) and trade our two later first rounders for cerra.
Geez that seems like overs. Unless they’ve got something else coming back their way.

Not sure of their academy kids this year. If they have got a top 10 talent they might want to offload their first

Sep 4, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Walsh reminds me of a young Trent Cotchin
Very similar players and definitely not vanilla

I’d offer Walsh a long term deal to get him out of the Blues. He’s looking at a long rebuild … again …. What’s their story to sell? They’re going to dump Teague and then have to start again.

Tetley Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back