Status
Not open for further replies.

agro

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague has done nothing to suggest he’s a good coach, and those clinging to and pointing to Thompson, Hardwick and perhaps Goodwin type changes in fortune don’t seem to recognise that those coaches got their teams into finals.

All Teague has done for the past two seasons is deliver us one win against a top 8 side in Geelong early last year.

RAPPA

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 20, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Teague will survive this year. There will be changes in the assistant coaching lineup and he'll get a crack next year with making finals being the only pass mark. Injuries, suspensions, retirements etc will not be seen or used as excuses.

Any new coach coming in now would most certainly have a condition on their appointment being the ability to choose their own (available) assistant coaches.

BluesRule

Premiership Player
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
I wish I could vote for Teague to stay in, but I voted to get rid of him. Whilst Ross Lyon is out in the wild I'd do almost anything to snap him up. He's tough and uncompromising which would straighten up a few players on our list.
Maybe, but would you actually watch and enjoy a game of defence.
Ross showed no plan B (attack) at Freo, despite having some elite players.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague has done nothing to suggest he’s a good coach, and those clinging to and pointing to Thompson, Hardwick and perhaps Goodwin type changes in fortune don’t seem to recognise that those coaches got their teams into finals.

All Teague has done for the past two seasons is deliver us one win against a top 8 side in Geelong early last year.

Agree he’s had a couple of preseasons to develop a game plan and nothing to show.
We can’t attribute all our woes at David’s feet, certainly a confluence of issues that need to be unraveled and brought to prominence the review committee hopefully will get that done.
What we need IMO is a Coach with a hard edge and good footy IQ to bring a strong game plan.
There’s talent out there, get it done right CFC.

Feb 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Celtics, AC Milan

And this is the point I feel. Everyone thats banging on about how stability at RichmonSt d, Melbourne and Geelong has paid off needs to realise this. it would have been more relevant with Ratts this line of thinking.

One thing though that we are all forgetting and it's bad luck really is that we haven't ever had Charlie, Gov and Harry in the same forward line. that's not Teague or anyones fault. With those three playing does the game plan actually stack up?

not making an excuse and I think all over the ground and skill level and execution is poor but it has to factor in to consideration. We have not anywhere near our best team fit for a long time.

still don't think he's the man to take us forward either way.

blueboy25

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 14, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
West Perth, Tottenham
And this is the point I feel. Everyone thats banging on about how stability at RichmonSt d, Melbourne and Geelong has paid off needs to realise this. it would have been more relevant with Ratts this line of thinking.

One thing though that we are all forgetting and it's bad luck really is that we haven't ever had Charlie, Gov and Harry in the same forward line. that's not Teague or anyones fault. With those three playing does the game plan actually stack up?

not making an excuse and I think all over the ground and skill level and execution is poor but it has to factor in to consideration. We have not anywhere near our best team fit for a long time.

This is the thing that Teague will be hanging his hat on.

In the 39 games he has coached key players have rarely been available:
Charlie Curnow - 3 games
McGovern - 23 games
De Koning - 10 games
Harry - 34
Marchbank - has not played a game under David Teague

slashin_velvet

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 5, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, STL Blues

Who cares if it stacks up with the talent - odds of having a full complement for the season or finals campaign are slim to nil - the plan needs to be dynamic enough that we can still win without a stacked forwardline.

WFGodot

Cancelled
Nov 3, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
I think Teague will survive this year. There will be changes in the assistant coaching lineup and he'll get a crack next year with making finals being the only pass mark. Injuries, suspensions, retirements etc will not be seen or used as excuses.

Any new coach coming in now would most certainly have a condition on their appointment being the ability to choose their own (available) assistant coaches.

I really don't think he will survive. Whoever comes in will do so with his pick of assistants. Whatever happens at the end of the this year is a write off. Again, gee i hate writing that and instantly reflecting on how early in our year a season is ruined. Big BIG Sigh...

It would be good to come in establish your authority and hit the ground running in 2022. We do not have a particularly young list anymore. We cannot waste another year hoping we can get better. I agree with Teague, the talent is there and with the right coaching team, this group can be really good, unfortunately for Teague, he cannot extract the requisite performance from them. Too nice, way too nice.

All Teague supporters...

I'm interested in what you see that I don't..
  • What do you see in Teague that makes you honestly believe he is our next Premiership coach?
  • How do you explain, that we are in the same ladder position (bottom 6) as we were when he took over? (excluding injuries, all teams have these)
  • How do you explain the majority of the playing list has regressed under Teague's rain?
Understand that many want to stop moving on coaches, which is fine and I support that..
But not at the expense of holding onto the wrong coach and ruining this groups chance of success..

Apr 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
All Teague supporters...

I'm interested in what you see that I don't..
  • What do you see in Teague that makes you honestly believe he is our next Premiership coach?
  • How do you explain, that we are in the same ladder position (bottom 6) as we were when he took over? (excluding injuries, all teams have these)
  • How do you explain the majority of the playing list has regressed under Teague's rain?
Understand that many want to stop moving on coaches, which is fine and I support that..
But not at the expense of holding onto the wrong coach and ruining this groups chance of success..
Yeap, I want to see us stop sacking coaches so frequently but im not sure if Teague is the person to get us our #17. Not sure we went through a proper Bolton replacement process so this review should definitely include DT.

Navy Blue Blood

Debutant
May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton

I think this is a bit misleading. Teague has had two partial seasons and the unprecedented COVID season of 2020, over that time he has 17 wins from 40 games.

Hardwicks first two seasons (full and uninterrupted) which saw him in the firing line for being sacked saw him with 14 wins from 44 games, no finals. In fact it wasn't until his fourth year coaching he made finals.

Ultimately I don't think there are exact parallels to be drawn with any of the three coaches you mention, however I do think the comparison to Richmond's calm and methodical approach has merit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
Maybe Mitchell would like to be senior assistant with Teague
He gets Carlton to the finals he gets poached as a senior coach elsewhere with a great successful cv
Or stagnates behind Clarkson surely would have a relationship with Russel

Doro

Collective Narcissism Support Group
Sep 22, 2011
62 West Wallaby St.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wensleydale Wanderers
I think he needs to read the tea leaves and shake things up. Better off changing tack towards the future than the now. LOB and SPS for Newnes and Murphy, drip feed some games into Honey, Carroll. Spend a few weeks with a focus on tackling at training. It it ain't working, keep focusing on the weaknesses and improving them. Playing this wide is asking to be split wide open on the counter attack.

azlou

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2010
hampton
AFL Club
Carlton
I think he needs to read the tea leaves and shake things up. Better off changing tack towards the future than the now. LOB and SPS for Newnes and Murphy, drip feed some games into Honey, Carroll. Spend a few weeks with a focus on tackling at training. It it ain't working, keep focusing on the weaknesses and improving them. Playing this wide is asking to be split wide open on the counter attack.
Carroll isn’t ready got a feeling once Honey gets in he’s going to stay

Pablito

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Agreed wholeheartedly. The board should advise him that the rest of the season turns into another development year. No chance we make the 8, we might as well give Dow, Lob and others extended runs at it, found out what they're made of.

juzz88

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2009
The Netherrealm
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Juventus
Agreed wholeheartedly. The board should advise him that the rest of the season turns into another development year. No chance we make the 8, we might as well give Dow, Lob and others extended runs at it, found out what they're made of.
The problem with that is, you're potentially gifting games to players who don't deserve it.

Maybe not by dropping players like Murphy and Newnes, based on their current form.

Ed and Eddie, on the other hand, shouldn't be dropped for any of the VFL kids yet. Someone needs to go past them and take their spot, not have it gifted to them.

Last edited:

jpfalvo

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Take the extra money it would cost to 1) sack teague (paying out his 18 months) and 2) hire a replacement in Clarkson or Lyon (top dollar contracts),

and instead spend it on poaching the best assistant coaching panel in the league to support teague (also need to ensure we have the right physio/high performance and football management teams).

If that strategy is not successful, the odds are one of the best assistants in the league would be the prime candidate to step into the Head Coach role after 18 months anyway, so its clearly a better plan than the "sack the coach" model.
AFL changed the coaches payouts.

Its only maximum 6mths now... happened as part of covid.

Teagues remaining contract tenure is irrelevant from a financial perspective

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

MacReady

Senior List
Jul 20, 2007
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New York Giants. Knicks.
Maybe, but would you actually watch and enjoy a game of defence.
Ross showed no plan B (attack) at Freo, despite having some elite players.
I think our attacking game is fine most of the time, it is in defense we suffer. He would strengthen that and hopefully not sacrifice our attacking style too much. At the end of the day, I just want to win!

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
I think our attacking game is fine most of the time, it is in defense we suffer. He would strengthen that and hopefully not sacrifice our attacking style too much. At the end of the day, I just want to win!

Certainly the Saints were an attacking team when he was in charge 2009/2010.

Fremantle besides Pav had pretty poor forward personnel that’s why they grabbed McCarthy & Hogan and that didn’t go so well.

May 1, 2002
AFL Club
Carlton
I feel the club and David will part ways at season's end if not sooner.

I doubt a certain football manager will remain either.

The football manager appointment was a bad decision in the 1st place.
We needed someone that was his own man, could make the tough calls and drive a successful culture.
The CEO, who I feel had a big say in the ‘type of person he wanted’ and even board should be held accountable for such a disaster of an appointment.

azzablue16

Senior List
May 1, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
It’s bizarre that Teague would be so loyal to them, it’s not like their premiership legends or anything, or even been involved in a remotely successful period at the club.

Club hasn’t won more than 7 games in a season since 2013, no one should be given an easy ride or free pass.
If isn’t loyal then how come luke Bebe ridge has no fear to drop jj and Mitch Walis from the dogs

how many times has Murphy and Docherty been dropped or any other senior member ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back