Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be great if he can play another two years and hopefully get a good year of finals in there somewhere. As others have mentioned, one of those heart and soul players.

Can also vouch for his ‘top bloke’ status after walking home along Chapel St one afternoon in November last year, not long after lockdown. Taz and some other great North people of the 21st Century - Spud, Hamish and Robbie Nahas were having a well earned drink out the front of the Somewhere Bar (recent infamy earned as a Covid exposure site).

Clearly, I couldn’t help myself as a mad North fan so had to introduce myself, and with no hesitation Robbie offered to join them for a drink. I politely declined, but walked home with the chest pumped out, only to have it deflated by my daughter who didn’t quite understand the importance of said encounter to her old man’s ego!

Would be great if he can play another two years and hopefully get a good year of finals in there somewhere. As others have mentioned, one of those heart and soul players.

Can also vouch for his ‘top bloke’ status after walking home along Chapel St one afternoon in November last year, not long after lockdown. Taz and some other great North people of the 21st Century - Spud, Hamish and Robbie Nahas were having a well earned drink out the front of the Somewhere Bar (recent infamy earned as a Covid exposure site).

Clearly, I couldn’t help myself as a mad North fan so had to introduce myself, and with no hesitation Robbie offered to join them for a drink. I politely declined, but walked home with the chest pumped out, only to have it deflated by my daughter who didn’t quite understand the importance of said encounter to her old man’s ego!
good story; have the drink next time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The optimistic aspect is that Robbie plays a position which blokes remain productive in to their mid 30's.

It's feasible that he could still be playing in 2024.

Aside from the positions where blokes get battered and bruised week in, week out, I reckon we'll start to see the shelf life of AFL players trend upwards in general. Lots of people love the shiny new toy of a new 18 year old coming into the side, but gone are the days when blokes fell off a cliff at 30.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/640257/two-club-tarrant-not-on-noble-s-watch

Two-club Tarrant? Not on Noble's watch
David Noble has weighed in on veteran Robbie Tarrant's playing future

NORTH Melbourne coach David Noble expects veteran Robbie Tarrant to retire a one-club player despite expected interest in the key defender from premiership contenders.

At 32, Tarrant is the second-oldest player on the rebuilding list and remains an integral part of the Kangaroos' backline. He is three games into his comeback after having a small lump removed from his kidney in March and was missing until round 13. The one-time Syd Barker medallist has lined up 167 times for North and Noble sees Tarrant adding plenty more games to that tally.

"I couldn't see Robbie playing for another club, let's be honest," Noble said. "I don't envisage him going anywhere. There's certainly no indication from his side of things.

"From a club's perspective, I would be even surprised if that was even a consideration. "We've enjoyed Robbie being back, he's a key part of our leadership group."

North (2-1-11) will on Sunday face the rampaging Western Bulldogs for the second time this season, after being crunched by 128 points on Good Friday.

The Kangaroos will take a cautious approach with first-round draft pick Tom Powell, who missed last week's win against Gold Coast. "If we wanted to we could probably push on with him, but there's probably no need at this point in time," Noble said. "We'll just take the next two or three weeks just to see how things settle down for him and maybe he's back in a month's time."

Meanwhile, North on Friday announced they had smashed their all-time membership record by passing 45,000 in a season where they look headed for the wooden spoon.

"For our fans to understand what we're doing is just incredible," Noble said. "They're seeing what we want to do. They want to become part of that journey and cheer for the (Will) Phillips', the Powells and the (Charlie) Lazzaros with the more experienced guys. "To have them on the start of that journey with us has been phenomenal."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back