2nds WWT Eagles vs Port Adelaide - Round 10 @ Woodville

yepits2020

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Lienert best for Port. Honourable mention to Schofield. Will play AFL next year. Hayes played well but I don’t see him AFL ready. Needs to build a lot of strength still. Of the other AFL players, Frederick not ready until he can tackle, Hartlett can stay in the Magpies, McEntee had his moments but does not look fit enough for our game plan (?) Lord is still 7 kilograms away from playing, Williams is way over rated lazy player and Garner not too sure about.

Last edited:

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm trying to be buoyant, but I'm sinking with the club.
We are on struggle street.
The best I can think of is that the return of just 3 A graders will turn the ship at both AFL & SANFL level.
We are the Mary Celeste, with noone on the poop deck.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Disappointing 2nd half but I’m not going to lose my s**t at a port seconds game missing 2/3rds of the team and held up mostly by park footballers.

Lienert was heavily involved in everything throughout the game.

Schofield had a great 1st half, clearances galore and some great hands. Went missing in the second. His Dinky chip kicks are infuriating considering he’s been pumped up as a great kick for 10 years before we drafted him. Since the day he’s arrived at port his kicking has been pretty average. He came pre-portsed through family heritage or something.

Frederick had some good moments but just such a limited player

Hayes - was impressive and had a very good day. To be honest redden was great for the eagles and could even say redden beat Hayes but in spite of that Hayes still had a great game and was one of our best through 4 qtrs. It’s a great sign that he can be so good when challenged.

Garner - some amazing moments but not much in the second half after his knock in the 1st. Just so strong at making contests. Takes it or kills it.

Hartlett - had a couple of good defensive moments across the game but over all a massive disappointment. Should be a key senior player in our afl side but could argue he’s not even that at sanfl level right now.

Mcintee - barely seen, played out of his natural mid position despite the fact we were missing all our mids. Still some signs there, quick around contests and willing tackler.

Lord - very exciting game. Competes aerially and despite looking like a lumbering tall he surprises with smarts and effort when the ball is in play. Has pretty good hands. Natural old school key forward.

Williams - brilliant first Qtr, took some amazing marks. Best hands you can find. Was working all over the ground. Snapped a great sharp goal. Then disappears and later shows up having turned into a spud who looks like he is running in mud 10mins later

No Sutcliffe, McKenzie or Mayes weakens that team a lot. Mead, Farrell, Bonner, Woodcock, Marshall (or Ladhams), Pasini, Bergman would all be lining up for the Maggie’s with a full list. Makes a big difference.

No doubt we will be much better when we get players back. The side we put out there today was not strong, so shouldn't be a huge surprise we struggled.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
I'm trying to be buoyant, but I'm sinking with the club.
We are on struggle street.
The best I can think of is that the return of just 3 A graders will turn the ship at both AFL & SANFL level.
We are the Mary Celeste, with noone on the poop deck.
It's hard to let that result effect you. Pre game I thought we'd struggle, but I also thought we would have Mayes, Sutcliffe and probably a Woodcock dropping back from AFL sub. The 3 of those representing our best 3 SANFL players. So without them, we were surprisingly good in the first half with our midfield made from ammos, but unfortunately it was a matter of time till their quality opened it up.

We could be adding as many as 12 players to the squad at AFL/SANFL level in the next 3 weeks.

Lycett, Sutcliffe, Mayes, Burgoyne, Pasini (and hopefully an unactivated sub to the SANFL) next week.
Fantasia, Marshall, Clurey, Duursma and Mead the week after that.
Maybe Butters also the week after that.

all seeing eye

exquirentibus veritatem
Nov 26, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Disappointing finish but not unexpected, bigger bodies eventually ground the kids down. Some tired looking boys in the end, not sure if they have increased the training loads recently .

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
If we play our best 22 in the SANFL we could maybe jag the 3 flags in 5 years.

All, while giving AFL experience to the kids and getting great draft positions!

Apr 20, 2001
Adelaide Oval / Anfield
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd,Liverpool, WWT Eagles.
Disappointing 2nd half but I’m not going to lose my sh*t at a port seconds game missing 2/3rds of the team and held up mostly by park footballers.

Lienert was heavily involved in everything throughout the game.

Schofield had a great 1st half, clearances galore and some great hands. Went missing in the second. His Dinky chip kicks are infuriating considering he’s been pumped up as a great kick for 10 years before we drafted him. Since the day he’s arrived at port his kicking has been pretty average. He came pre-portsed through family heritage or something.

Frederick had some good moments but just such a limited player

Hayes - was impressive and had a very good day. To be honest redden was great for the eagles and could even say redden beat Hayes but in spite of that Hayes still had a great game and was one of our best through 4 qtrs. It’s a great sign that he can be so good when challenged.

Garner - some amazing moments but not much in the second half after his knock in the 1st. Just so strong at making contests. Takes it or kills it.

Hartlett - had a couple of good defensive moments across the game but over all a massive disappointment. Should be a key senior player in our afl side but could argue he’s not even that at sanfl level right now.

Mcintee - barely seen, played out of his natural mid position despite the fact we were missing all our mids. Still some signs there, quick around contests and willing tackler.

Lord - very exciting game. Competes aerially and despite looking like a lumbering tall he surprises with smarts and effort when the ball is in play. Has pretty good hands. Natural old school key forward.

Williams - brilliant first Qtr, took some amazing marks. Best hands you can find. Was working all over the ground. Snapped a great sharp goal. Then disappears and later shows up having turned into a spud who looks like he is running in mud 10mins later
Thought Lienert was terrific. Second half was a procession but understandable as you say. Lord did some nice things too.

Great8

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester United, Juventus,
Do most 'SANFL' fans support their local club as well as the Crows reserves is that how it works.
Not at all.
I’m a lifelong Norwood member and most Norwood fans I know and attend with are members/supporters of other AFL clubs such as myself. Funnily enough I know more Norwood supporters who are Port members than Crows members. Been to a heap of neutral SANFL games and I think the Crows actually cop more vitriol from the crowd than what the Maggies do

I would probably swap out Hartlett for Lienert based on that game among my ins and outs.

It's hard to tell from TV but it appeared Hartlett was sitting on Stengle and largely sacrificed his game to ensure Stengle was not influential. I hardly noticed Stengle until Hartlett was moved off him.

Happy to be corrected.

Even so, Lienert really put his hand up for selection, would be a good swap in the Bonner role.

Didn't need to hobble Garner though ;) Hopefully he has enough time to come up Milhouse for the GC game.

Most afl teams have around 4 defenders who would beat Hayes. He’s good a good all round game for sanfl but against afl defenders where he would have to beat multiple guys in the air I reckon he would get killed.

Probably why he hasn't been drafted by now. He gets away with rucking at sanfl level which allows him to get some cheap marks around the ground.

Even so, he could be a handy third tall roaming the ground as a leading marking target. Looks very fit even though Redden and Lonergan are comparisons ;) He has more to his game than Brett Eddy.

Anyway at 24 his ship may have sailed although you never know.

Back