Universal Love Nathan Buckley - The Greatest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood

On one leg.

Our greatest ever champion!
Never forget what this man has done for our club and the highlights he brought to us when Collingwood FC was the laughing stock of the comp in the mid to late 90s, we were basically the now version Carlton except had a player that people paid to see play.

Last edited:
Thanks for creating this thread loki04 🙌

No worries mate, its heartfelt and genuine. Buckley has done so much for our club and all of us supporters over the journey, sometimes, we all lose sight of the brilliance and joy he gave us over the years.

Would love to see a savvy person with old pies games make a new "highlights" showing different goals, midfield breaks and hitting fwds on the title, some of his tougher work inside, etc

He wasn't just a once in a generation player he was a once in a lifetime!

Hopefully in due course the club recognises him by naming an award after him.

Can't recall if best finals player is named after anybody or not but that would be highly appropriate IMO.

Edit: It's already named after Bobby Rose

Last edited:
I was hoping someone would start something for the champ. Bucks came to the club when I was 6… it’s hard to believe that this is his last game with us. 27 years…

There’s 4 memories of the great man that stand out in my mind:

1. His goal from 55m out in the 2002 GF.
2. Turning back the clock with a match-winning 6 goal performance against the Lions in 2006.
3. The roar from the crowd when he led the team out onto the G in round 21 2007… after being injured all year. And then again when his first touch was a goal assist down the throat of Daisy Thomas about 30 seconds in.
4. His son jumping into his arms in the rooms after the 2018 prelim…

Thanks for the memories, Bucks!

First game i ever went to as a very young boy was Collingwood vs St Kilda i wanna say 2001 maybe and i kept saying to my father that 5 gets a lot of the ball.

I have so many fond childhood memories of the man still to this day have some posters of him framed in my bedroom.

Going to be strange without him.

Bleeds black and white, such a shame we failed to build a team around him, I went to the Tunnel one night and a mate and i owned the pool table (one of them anyway), up rocks Bucks and Willow and put their coins on the table, we won, Bucks was very gracious in defeat as was Willow, i didn't get any figjam vibe.

Bucks will win a premiership, that i am sure of, sucks it wont be with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, you mean the greatest Collingwood footballer ever?
No doubt Buckley is great, would certainly be the second best, but do not denigrate what Bob Rose was/is to Collingwood.
How am I denigrating Bob Rose? I said that in time there should be an award named after Buckley and best finals player seemed apt, having assumed it wasn't named after anybody.

I then checked and found that it was named after Bobby, which I then added as an edit to my comment. Clearly I'm not suggesting we remove Bob Rose's name in favour of Buckley's.

And as for who's best, I'm not qualified to say given I hadn't seen Bobby play. I'll leave that to historians and those who have far greater intel than I.

On one leg.

Our greatest ever champion!
Never forget what this man has done for our club and the highlights he brought to us when Collingwood FC was the laughing stock of the comp in the mid to late 90s, we were basically the now version Carlton except had a player that people paid to see play.

Bucks, how Dusty lite is that kent!!!

Bucks, how Dusty lite is that kent!!!

Dusty doesn't burst from center and bang them home on the run from 65m on the full as consistently as Buckley did.

Also imo Bucks more versatile, finds more of it and better field kick. Didnt see Martin manning up at CHB on T.Cloke like Bucka did on Carey! 😉

People also forget in the later 90s Bucks had a few games where he kicked 4 or 5 goals as a midfielder from midfield (not resting fwd).
Him and Willo had a few games there that stand out.

I recall watching this game and Tony Shaw moving Bucks onto Wayne Carey.
If there is a list of his best games this would have to be included.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back