Review Good/Bad vs St Kilda - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 - I go down to Port Elliot for the June long weekend and we kicked the last 8 goals of the game to overrun the Eagles in Perth.

2021 - I go down to Port Elliot for the June long weekend and we kick the last 7 goals to beat the Saints from nowhere.

I know what to do every June long weekend.

Our two flag teams had that. I also think we have to be 5 goals better than the next best team to ever win a flag. Umpires and MCG..

We were 5 goals better than tigers in 17. We beat them by 60 points 3 months before the GF.

The only way to win a Grannie as an interstate side, is to play another interstate side. Ala port v lions, Sydney v west coast. That is the only way interstate teams win grannies.

Unless you get incredibly lucky and have 3 kick and marks in a row and kick a goal on the boundary on the siren the way eagles best pies 18.

Good:
Seedsman - Should be ahead by a mile in our b&f
The exuberance of our youth
Laird - pounded it forward
Jack Steele - what a gun
Howard / Thilthorpe clash
Rum

Ugly:
Dinky sideways kicks that didn't hit the target
Our bad is really bad

Good:
Berry great. So clean. So tough.
Schoenberg. Best game for the club hands down. Not a huge amount of possesions but wins the hardball. Probably close to a matchwinner last quarter.
Thilthorpe. Was having a learning night but really turned it around big time. Great effort.
Sloane. Not what he once was but puts his body on the line. Great effort to stop a possible saints goal just before the siren.
Walker. Was pretty good.
Laird. Was good at times and frustrating at times.
Seedsman. Pretty solid game. Just wish he would stop the brain fade.
Jones. One of his best games I've seen. Improving.
Smith. Really good 2nd quarter. Really sparked us into the game but his short passing at times is pretty poor.
Hamill. A better effort.
Mackay. The enforcer. Probably his career best game.
Having Highmore in my supercoach team and scoring 111. Had him as an emergency so his score will count. Winning.

Bad
Worrell. Not the first to have 2possesions in their first game. Learning experience. He will be right.
McHenry. Not his best game but he always tries 100%.
Rowe. Tries hard but we desperately need a Charlie Cameron or Rankine.
Fogarty. We still need him to influence the game more.
McPherson. Don't want him in the team. Nothing personnel just isn't what we need.

Ugly:
Commentators
Ump's
Playing in Cairns.

Last edited:
Mackay knows 100% the St Kilda player will get to the ball first and will to some degree have his head down picking up the ball. He torpedoes into him because he has no other way of winning the ball. Needs to be weeks.

View attachment 1153655

I repeat: Mackay has the Cotchin decision as a precedent! If it's good enough for Richmond, .......... ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
- Riley Thilthorpe. Must be protected at all costs. A future superstar
- Sam Berry. When everyone else is fumbling the ball, his ability to be clean was excellent. Love what he brings
- Neddy and Schoey with good games. Really building as players.
- Jones was good in the second half. After his 1st half, old a Chayce would have dropped his head and drifted out of the game.
- Sloane was just pure guts in that last quarter.
- Keays and Seedsman are currently fighting it out for the gold jacket.

Bad:
- We’ve ****ed our draft pick
- The standard of the entire game was dire

2016 - I go down to Port Elliot for the June long weekend and we kicked the last 8 goals of the game to overrun the Eagles in Perth.

2021 - I go down to Port Elliot for the June long weekend and we kick the last 7 goals to beat the Saints from nowhere.

I know what to do every June long weekend.

Pull out he boogie board for horseshoe bay

I've never been a huge fan of MacKay, I don't think his very occasional good game warrants his continued selection every week, but I think when he's inevitably rubbed out for 2-3 weeks for that hit because the outcome is all that matters these days, he'd be right to feel a touch hard done by.

If you watch the incident in slow motion, he has his eyes on the ball the whole time, he reaches out to take possession as the hit occurs and even touches it, they essentially reach the ball simultaniously, MacKay maybe a tiny fraction of a second later, he doesn't turn to bump, his body only turns as he goes up and over after the initial hit which in itself only occurs because Clark's centre of gravity was lower to the ground so MacKay's momentum carries him off the ground.

Thilthorpe and Schoenberg in the last were massive.

Keays, Berry and McHenry did a huge amount of defensive work.

Keays is both good and bad in that he puts in SO much, it's pure effort from him most times, which means his skills sometimes let him down. He puts every ounce of effort he has into the game each week and it shows though.

Sloane on Steele and Berry checking Sinclair in the 2nd half were great moves.

Smith and Seedsman both made me want to throw something with poor turnovers. Seedsman usually makes up for it, Smith hasn't been lately though.

Seedsman B&F at this stage? Have to be close with Laird

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Schoey gets his average up to 27-31 disposals, and he's there. There really isn't any kinks to his game at the moment bar accumulation.

Sholl is pretty similar too at this point, it's all about adding accumulation (i.e. getting up to 24-27 per game) whilst making sure everything else doesn't fall apart.

Maybe. At the moment he is just a kid and as a young kid in playing midfield minutes he is smashing it. I don’t have much of an imagination, which could be the problem. But which elite mid of days gone by is he? I guess I can’t project him to a career like anyone I can think of…

Would love to be wrong… and I’m not criticising how work so far. Just saying the bar for your starting 22 midfield needs to be high if they are going to take you to a flag.

Good:

Basically everyone in the second half. Tex was immense, similarly to Sloane he was in the contested muck for most of the game. Both absolute warriors.
A lot of the kids woke up after the 1st half , Berry was actually our only solid player for all 4 quarters. I just love how Thilthorpe stays in the game, he doesn’t ever drop his head.

Bad:

The umpiring overall was not up to standard, again.

Ugly:

The 1st half

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

RT is a classic, what a great kid haha.

The Port board is hilarious, so many saying great result cause our pick gets worse. Yeah, like winning with a super young team is ever a bad thing…
All their great picks have won how many finals the last ten years?

Can't remember which way the North/Hawks one went.
Gibbons on Harbrow precedent. Gibbons got off without hands on the ball. D-Mac safe. (or should be)

We were 5 goals better than tigers in 17. We beat them by 60 points 3 months before the GF.

The only way to win a Grannie as an interstate side, is to play another interstate side. Ala port v lions, Sydney v west coast. That is the only way interstate teams win grannies.

Unless you get incredibly lucky and have 3 kick and marks in a row and kick a goal on the boundary on the siren the way eagles best pies 18.

We limped in. Players injured. Continuity blah blah… Lost Smith. McGovern. Bunch of things. Don’t think we were 5 goals better on neutral ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back