Boomers, Could They Beat The Dream Team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sorry guys i'm a complete novice at this sport, never played it, rarely watch it etc, but i've been hearing good things about our boys in the NBA, ok maybe not beat the US but where would we rank at full strenght on the world stage?

We are a contender for an Olympic medal, so top 5-10 in the world. Officially we are ranked 3rd by FIBA. We've played off for a bronze medal 4 times and lost 4 times.

Could we beat the US? Sure, but it's the Socceroos beating Brasil or the All Blacks losing to Argentina or Ireland. It's possible, but you wouldn't bet on it. In the 7 Olympic Games since professional players were allowed to compete the US has won 6 goal and gone 8-0 in 6 of those Games. 2004 was a disaster for them and they lost 3 games and won bronze.

Our best player is Ben Simmons who is the only player on our roster who is a guaranteed NBA starter. Guys like Ingles, Mills and Baynes aren't getting near the US squad. Their depth of talent is that good that they can afford to have players of the calibre of Simmons (All NBA third team last year, so top 15 on that metric) or better elect to not participate.

Along with Simmons, 5 other non American players made All NBA teams last year. Giannis, Doncic, Jokic, Siakam and Gobert. And Embiid will this year. If you remove the US from the equation it's a pretty even spread of half a dozen or so nations competing for silver.

Sorry guys i'm a complete novice at this sport, never played it, rarely watch it etc, but i've been hearing good things about our boys in the NBA, ok maybe not beat the US but where would we rank at full strenght on the world stage?

Welcome mate. Stick around and pay attention to the game/series threads.

Absolutely. I reckon the Boomers would romp it in. Have a look at this mob

dream-team-usa-basketball_48z4ni43dy041mf3vrs2ps4fu.jpg

Reckon the only one involved in basketball is Coach K (back left). Barkley is fat, Pat Ewing too. Reckon stockton is the same skinny bloke. Jordan probably would get buckets still. Bird can barely move, his back is rooted.

OK seriously, we are a chance against any team on paper. Except USA. Also a great unknown about some of our players like Simmons, Thighbull....havent played for the national team before.

It's just a pity that the current Simmons + Thybulle + Ingles + Mills period didn't coincide with peak Bogut + Andersen + Baynes period because that could have done some damage.
Whereas now it still feels like we're going to miss out because the current team has had zero time together, and will have had very little preparation by Tokyo.

Forget beating the USA any time soon. To do that we need cohesion (which we have none of atm) and surprise (which we will also have none of, since 2 of our Tokyo practice games are vs USA). The real challenge for us is breaking through and finally winning a medal. That would be massive. I think we're still more likely to miss out than to win one this year, but we're in with a realistic chance for sure.
But it's a huge ask to bring together a random collection of players and having them playing like a well oiled machine within weeks.

• Banned
OK seriously, we are a chance against any team on paper. Except USA. Also a great unknown about some of our players like Simmons, Thighbull....havent played for the national team before.
What happened to Thon Maker? Thought he was going to be the next big thing 5 years or so ago.

• Banned
It's just a pity that the current Simmons + Thybulle + Ingles + Mills period didn't coincide with peak Bogut + Andersen + Baynes period because that could have done some damage.
Whereas now it still feels like we're going to miss out because the current team has had zero time together, and will have had very little preparation by Tokyo.

Forget beating the USA any time soon. To do that we need cohesion (which we have none of atm) and surprise (which we will also have none of, since 2 of our Tokyo practice games are vs USA). The real challenge for us is breaking through and finally winning a medal. That would be massive. I think we're still more likely to miss out than to win one this year, but we're in with a realistic chance for sure.
But it's a huge ask to bring together a random collection of players and having them playing like a well oiled machine within weeks.
Every side would be in the same boat though, the comtending nations best players would all be in the NBA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back