Autopsy AFL 2O21 Round 13 - Saints v Crows Sat June 12th 7:25pm EST (Cazaly’s)

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Crows by a goal or less

• Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Crows by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Saints by a lot

• Crows by a lot

• Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda played a semi final last year after knocking out the team currently second on the ladder.

This weekend they got 6 goals up against last years spooners and choked by kicking one goal after half time.

I like St Kilda, but there's a portion of their supporter base (and I realise these exist at every club) can't expect natural improvement and pride as a club if they're going with bottom of the barrel gutter excuses like umpires and injuries.

You’re letting salt cloud your eyesight.

View attachment 1154065

A still shot like that doesn't tell the whole story, it was fleeting contact from Howard that wasn't worthy of a free kick, even the commentators were surprised a free was paid and if it wasn't paid Crows supporters wouldn't have been complaining as there was so little in it.

If umpires are going to pay soft free kicks like that they may as well just make AFL a non contact sport.

A still shot like that doesn't tell the whole story, it was fleeting contact from Howard that wasn't worthy of a free kick, even the commentators were surprised a free was paid and if it wasn't paid Crows supporters wouldn't have been complaining as there was so little in it.

If umpires are going to pay soft free kicks like that they may as well just make AFL a non contact sport.
Well that's settled it. Thank goodness Hamish McLachlan and Luke Hodge are the voice of reason.

St Kilda played a semi final last year after knocking out the team currently second on the ladder.

This weekend they got 6 goals up against last years spooners and choked by kicking one goal after half time.

I like St Kilda, but there's a portion of their supporter base (and I realise these exist at every club) can't expect natural improvement and pride as a club if they're going with bottom of the barrel gutter excuses like umpires and injuries.

Yeah fair call. Some of the posts in these game day threads really piss me off. Umpiring impacts every club in good ways and bad ways, and to constantly see our fans melting over it is pure cope.

And it's funny that Thilthorpe himself didn't think it was a free kick. On the Sunday Footy Show he trotted out the "I'm not going to argue with the ump" line which is code for I didn't think there was a free in it but I will take it.

Argument is definitely settled then

With the bleating going on about the Thilthorpe decision by Saints fans in here like ExYarraValley and Plugger35, I assumed it happened right at the death but nope, went back and checked and it happened at the 10 MINUTE MARK of last quarter. Even after that goal, Saints were a) still in front and b) had half the ******* quarter to put the game to bed lol

Just loser mindset on display.

With the bleating going on about the Thilthorpe decision by Saints fans in here like ExYarraValley and Plugger35, I assumed it happened right at the death but nope, went back and checked and it happened at the 10 MINUTE MARK of last quarter. Even after that goal, Saints were a) still in front and b) had half the ******* quarter to put the game to bed lol

Just loser mindset on display.

In a game decided by a goal a gifted goal like that makes a difference, that being said we still should have won the game regardless of the umpiring.

I wouldn't expect that to be paid due to seeing so many mark contests where people juggle once and the defender pretty much tackles them as they try to complete it and nothings called. But it was at least an arm chop in a marking contest with no eyes for the ball at the time as that still shows and obviously the ump saw it clear enough to think so.

And it's funny that Thilthorpe himself didn't think it was a free kick. On the Sunday Footy Show he trotted out the "I'm not going to argue with the ump" line which is code for I didn't think there was a free in it but I will take it.

Oh really.. He certainly thought it was a free kick at the time it was called if you were watching his reaction..

I've noticed in recent years that the umpires often try to create close finishes by favouring the side that is behind and last night was another example.

The AFL will never admit it but I'm sure there is some sort of directive for the umpires to create close finishes if possible to improve the tv ratings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've noticed in recent years that the umpires often try to create close finishes by favouring the side that is behind and last night was another example.

The AFL will never admit it but I'm sure there is some sort of directive for the umpires to create close finishes if possible to improve the tv ratings.
That game did tv ratings no good.

We were missing more than just Zac Jones, we are missing about 10 other players from our best 22, compare that to Melbourne who are only missing a couple of players from their best 22.

You're being generous calling that a hold, Howard just briefly placed his hand on Thilthorpe's arm, something that would happen hundreds of times in contests without a free being paid.

At best it was a very soft free kick that shouldn't be paid in a close contest, if that free was paid against an Adelaide defender you wouldn't be happy.

If you want to pretend that holding the arm requires it being held for 3 seconds that's fine but at the end of the day you are pretending.

I love a good conspiracy theory.

You are joking right?

Funny how Adelaide won but there fans have to justify there win instead of just savouring the W. Deep down Crows fans know that the umps got them over the line so they need to defend the Victory.

Funny how Adelaide won but there fans have to justify there win instead of just savouring the W. Deep down Crows fans know that the umps got them over the line so they need to defend the Victory.
The 2nd last goal was a crap call everyone can admit that, but even with that would have been a draw at best for St Kilda when they were ahead by so much.

Believe me mate, I’m savouring it. I’m savouring the win by a bunch of kids and a team in a rebuild over a bunch of re-treads and discards who were touted as a top four team at the start of the year supported by a few arse clowns such as yourself who can’t accept the loss with good grace and instead resort to blaming umpires for losing a game after being 6 goals up. It’s ******* pathetic but enjoyable to watch.

Umpires are always going pay free kicks with interpretations that will send fans of each team crazy. The free kicks in the Crows forward 50m will happen because the ball is permanently stuck there. Its not like St Kilda got no free kicks in the last quarter, they just didn't have any system of getting the ball out of the area.
True

Back