News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes th
My memory is failing me but a player recently commented on playing at the Gabba and said the ball tended to go to one side due to the fall of the ground across the oval. Might have been toward Stanley street???
Yes that was Robbo
I assume he was taking the piss
The reason is because the interchange is on that side

One thing though, any chance they could reshape the dimensions of the gabba to be suited to the MCG?
Well it's already the same width as the MCG, and only about 4m shorter. But given it has to initially fit a running track, there will probably be all kinds of opportunities to change the dimensions of the ground.

Close Metricon and the Suns can share the new stadium with us like in WA

Brisbane and Gold Coast are two different cities why would you have a Gold Coast team play their home games in Brisbane? Suns fans would hate the travel having to drive over and hour up the road to watch the Suns play and than over an hour to drive back home. Be even longer if they had to catch the train.

What would you guys like to see at the new Gabba? Looking at Optus I like the light show they have watching the Freo Suns game yesterday after the game the players go down to the rooms they go through the fans and their right next to the room where they sing the song they should doing something like that at the new stadium.

Brisbane and Gold Coast are two different cities why would you have a Gold Coast team play their home games in Brisbane? Suns fans would hate the travel having to drive over and hour up the road to watch the Suns play and than over an hour to drive back home. Be even longer if they had to catch the train.
Geelong play a lot of games in Melbourne without any complaint and Geelong is a separate city.Seems a waste of public money not to maximize use of a new stadium.Also presumably infrastructure will be updated to make the trip easier.

Geelong play a lot of games in Melbourne without any complaint and Geelong is a separate city.Seems a waste of public money not to maximize use of a new stadium.Also presumably infrastructure will be updated to make the trip easier.
Go and ask on the Geelong board if they like playing home games in Melbourne.

So they should get rid of the Cats home ground as well and have them play all their homes games at the MCG. Their are Cats fans that hate having to go to Melbourne to watch Geelong play a home game.

What would you guys like to see at the new Gabba? Looking at Optus I like the light show they have watching the Freo Suns game yesterday after the game the players go down to the rooms they go through the fans and their right next to the room where they sing the song they should doing something like that at the new stadium.

Enough rows undercover, an 'inside' portion of the upper and lower sections and quality entry and exit points.

Because Governments are involved who know what we will get
Depends what brief is given to Architect/Construction/Project Management company
The design should be for the benefit of AFL and Cricket. That is sufficient to include an athletics track
Obviously for the Games you will need to cater for a much larger media contingent and many other thing i can't think of
These arears need to be easily converted back to AFL & Cricket needs
Stadium needs to pay for itself so provisions for concerts without damaging the ground
Ground drainage needs to be as good if not much better than it is now
Prefer steeper tier seating to keep crowd as close to action as possible
4G/5G/6G ? coverage
Seats minimum of 50CM wide
Designed to increase seating capacity in future
The design should/will have provisions for green energy and water, keeping future costs down
Lights/advertising up to future standard available from 2024
Change rooms to cater for men & women
Runs to budget and finished on schedule
Plus about 100+ other things

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A large part of the motivation for the AFL to move Geelong's games is that they keep selling out Kardinia. Not so much the case with Carrara.

A large part of the motivation for the AFL to move Geelong's games is that they keep selling out Kardinia. Not so much the case with Carrara.

More that the Cats own Kardinia Park, and all profits from a home game go to them.

Mentioned on the cricket.com.au article that construction might not start until the end of 2029. So that would mean three seasons, 2030, 31 and obviously 32 playing out of Metricon, maybe some games against the smaller teams at Springfield? Would certainly be interesting.

As long as the new pitch has a few things buried in it Clem Jones style to give it a bit of bounce I will be happy.

As long as it's not Jimmy Hoffa style.

Sorry if a thread has already been started on this, I couldn't see one.

So as we know, we are facing not having a home for up to 4 years as part of the Gabba redevelopment.

The new Gabba facility will be AMAZING long term, however, I have grave concerns for what we do in the meantime.

I assume we will share Metricon is this time? That means playing infront of very few fans, not having a home and 3 hours round travel to games each week.

This will crush membership and hurt retention during that time. I can see players not wanting to play under that arrangement through the prime of their career - its when clugg, Bailey, Berry etc are hitting their prime years.

This is a major issue for the club IMO and one which an already financially crippled club will struggle to thrive through.

A year or 2, no worries but 3-4 years, that is a LONG time to be displaced.

Does anyone have any idea how we intend to navigate this period? really not looking forward to it. What are people's thoughts?

Last edited:
Post one or two premierships, focus on driving more ex-Fitzroy, general Melbourne memberships & play a couple of more games per year in Melbourne for starters.

Edit: If we do indeed have a sustained period of success over the next two to three years, I expect our membership will keep increasing above 45 - 50k & lots of Friday night / Saturday night games will be in our fixture.

Last edited:
assume we will share Metricon is this time? That means playing infront of very few fans, not having a home and 3 hours round travel to games each week.
There's a non-zero chance that this will result in government funded upgrades for Springfield for some venue or other, completed in time for us to transition there for two years. Better public transport, better parking, more money in our pockets.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back