Review Positives and Negatives - UP THE BLOODY COASTERS EDITION - Rd 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, I had this written up already and then the thread merged.

+ FIGHT
All season I've been reading comments like "we're undermanned" but that doesn't excuse performances like 2nd half v St Kilda, Geelong, GWS and 4th quarter v Essendon. The best teams in the comp pressure other sides into making mistakes. It's no coincidence that this has improved with Yeo back in the side.

+ Lewards, Hedwards and Foley
These kids can play. Even more important, these kids don't panic and they've played 2, 6 and 4 games respectively. Ledwards is reminding me a lot of Daniel Kerr and Luke Shuey in that he's very quick to assess the situation, usually makes the right decision and executes the play very well. Hedwards will likely put pressure on Rotham when Gov returns.

+ Kennedy
Stole Darling's role tonight and smashed it out of the park. Who knew he could play midfield? :p

+ Nic Nat
Nothing new here

+ Jermaine Jones
Along with Yeo, Jones' ability to apply pressure has been excellent. It's time to back him in and show him some faith rather than in, out, medical sub.

- Andrew Gaff
It was refreshing to see comments validating my feelings about Gaff this season. Gaff bombing the ball forward blindly or selling teammates into trouble isn't anything new this season. There's no doubt Gaff is an important cog in our system but with Duggan back in the side and Shuey, Kelly and Brander all on the verge of return, it's time to send Gaff back to the WAFL for a game or two to recalibrate his decision making.

- Oscar Allen's fourth quarter
Probably the worst footy I've seen from Oscar this season. And yet he still kicked a clutch goal.

- Umpiring
I don't think the umpiring has been as bad this season as many make it out to be but it was terrible tonight. Obvious throws, holding the balls, tunnelling were being missed repeatedly through the first three quarters.... then they started calling them! I'd be pissed if I were a Richmond fan too! An embarrassing night all round for AFL House.

I’ve watched the lead up to the Kennedy goal probably 10 times in the last hour. The Ryan pick up and delivery was as good as it gets, but what stood out to me a lot was the composure of Edwards. Took a ball off half back from Barrass, took the initiative to play on immediately, and then hit up a nice little 25m kick to Yeo in space.

This is a guy in his 6th game. The easy thing to do was go back on your mark and kick as long as you can down the line to a contest; but he reviewed his options on the run, picked the right one- and executed.

The Kennedy goal doesn’t happen without that little bit of quick thinking up the line. These 1st/2nd year guys you always will anticipate will always have their moments where they might be beaten by more experienced opponents, or let nerves get the better of them. In such a big moment tonight, he stood up. I think he’s got a massive future.

The perpetual shitcanning of our recruiters probably needs a rest for a little while. What an absolute bloody steal.
Our recruitment and coaching has been good. Not without its faults (who isn't?). But any team that plays finals six years running (unless we totally implode will be seven) with a flag and another Grand final is doing a lot more right than wrong.

Sure we'd love to get multiple flags out of this group (and we still may well) but consider Essendon late 90s early 00s only got one flag. Port early 00s same. Collingwood circa 2010 same. Geelong 89-95 no flags. Those were bloody good teams.

Nothing wrong with setting the bar high - and we should. But a little perspective and realism doesn't go astray either.

Missed the game because the AFL ****ed me over and scheduled the game as the same time as my hockey. Just watched that last 2 minutes video, and Hedwards playing on for that last goal is one of the smartest things I've seen an Eagle do this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does not surprise me at all that Hedwards took the game on at the death. Filling in for the gov he knew what was going to happen.

Take mark, play on.

Kick to a random, kick to Liam, kick to another random, goal from pocket.

Had it planned all along. And you all know what happened next

Sorry to intrude but if you can’t see how that umpiring assisted you to win then you have a problem. That was some of the worst I have seen for a long time.

If you can't see how the AFL assisted you in winning 3 premierships then you have a problem. That was some of the worst I have seen for a long time.

Darcy has him covered in pretty much every faucet. Except hair length
Their crowds really are despicable, and you'd have to be actively denying logic, to believe they don't influence game results. It's pretty appalling that young children watching the game on television are exposed to images of ********* Eagles supporters making explicit gestures at umpires. Stay classy you scum.

Freo supporters are the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back