Autopsy Autopsy vs GWS - Round 13, 2021 - a draw

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m feeling much better this morning after enduring the excruciating agony from the moment Zurhaar kicked the goal of the weekend halfway through the last quarter. Overall, that was a great performance by North. With a bit of luck we could have been so far out of sight at three quarter time that GWS would have given up. There were numerous good signs:-

Mahony
TT - again
Larkey
Zurhaar
Jy
LDU breaking tackles
Scott
Hall (so much good to overwhelm his “crap”).
Game style coming into focus.

We’re going to truly “murder” someone before this season is done…

Once Robbie and Benny get copacetic - watch out!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trent Dumont is a massive factor in us “holding our shape”. He’s such a clever footballer. His desperation kicks out of defence are being over criticised by some around here, I think. He only does it when he’s under serious pressure, with no other option. Regardless, he gets it outside 50 closer to the boundary. Having said that, we need to be able to provide more backup options when we’re defending. Every other team seems more adept at it.

Said a few weeks ago I’m excited to see Thomas & Stephenson get 40 Disposals & 4 goals between them in a few years.

Well at 21 and 22 years respectively, we’ve got 38 Disposals & 3 goals between them.

Going to be very impressive to see what they can put together when they’re 26 & 27.

Imagine if Lindsay Thomas did what cokie boy did yesterday, the league would have hung drawn and quartered him

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At least Barry Hall would go toe to toe with anyone he sniped. Mumford chooses his targets wisely which is absolutely pathetic.

Brent Staker would like a word, Hall was a coward

Brent Staker would like a word, Hall was a coward

Absolutely he sniped Staker and it was a low, low act. Hall is not a nice human, but I have little doubt that he would at least have a dip at anyone who went at him.

Mumford will snipe a 21 year old and then lay on his back shrieking when a heavy remonstrates with him.

Imagine if Lindsay Thomas did what cokie boy did yesterday, the league would have hung drawn and quartered him

I'm getting tired of the Tarryn Thomas needs to work harder / is lazy commentary (from the live commentators) also, very sketchy.

Last edited:
Absolutely he sniped Staker and it was a low, low act. Hall is not a nice human, but I have little doubt that he would at least have a dip at anyone who went at him.

Mumford will snipe a 21 year old and then lay on his back shrieking when a heavy remonstrates with him.

Fair call, I can’t get past king hitting someone who isn’t looking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frustrated with the result, but so many positives.

The Good
Defensive structures held up well, Giants are good at blocking defenders, thought Taz should have been given a free for a blatant block in the 2nd Q that resulted in a Giants goal.
Forward entries into 50 gave our forward a chance and Larkey responded well with his best game this year.
General game plan and positioning seems to be developing nicely.
The young players all seem to be getting better each week. Mahony, Scott, Powell, LDU all played well.

Areas that needs work.
Turn overs by foot, either low percentage kick or straight out miss kicking and handing the hard won ball straight back is poor.
Hall does so many good things, but lets himself down with a few poor choices by foot.

Changing gears, clearly we can't play the whole game at top pace, need to be able to control the speed of the ball, slow things down, possess the ball. this will help with the red time goals we are giving up. A few moments passing backwards and switching side to side, spreading out the opposition, I'm sure once Corr and McDonald find their way into the side this will improve.

Positives
- we cracked in against a talented GWS side
- Robby back, even if it wasn't his best game
- Xerri took some nice clean grabs
- Goldstein murdered Mumford
- Hall, Thomas, Cunnington, Mahony, Dumont, Stephenson, Simpkin, Zurhaar, all played really strong games.

Negatives
- blowing the lead, although Josh Kelly was on a mission
- there were times, like the start of the third quarter and parts of the last quarter where we held that really ordinary defensive press and the Giants got repeat entries as we fluffed transition after transition with no one to kick to
- We showed we have another side to our structure where we hold a stronger forward weighting, and boy did we look sexy. Even the commentators noticed it.

We are a bit of maturity, some returning players and a key forward away from an ascent I feel.

I look forward to some AFL clarity on the Mummy coat hanger today.
Seemed malicious....
The one where that oaf got a free kick in the centre?

Staggering non reversal. Can't stand Mumford - gets a constant free pass for stuff that would have players like Cunnington or Ziebell suspended for weeks. He's a cheap thug.

Ah Ha! Yes - that was the one.

How does an umpire allow that in these days where head and nexk iunjuries are so front of mind. That was a clear case for a reversed free kick - that single umpiring decision changed the outcome of the match.

I don't understand why he's given so much latitude. It makes no sense

Umpires cannot be acting autonomously - one of them would surely have called it if they were.

I love tough footballers, but that bloke has become a sniping dog.

Yep. There's a big difference between laying a strong tackle of making a solid bump verses whaty Mumford does. Last week I saw him against some skinny runt, where Mumford could have made a straightforward tackle and with his strength he's have easily won the free. Instead he gave the bloke a full swing gut punch and then wrapped him up in a semi-sling. Totally not called for.

Last edited:
Positives
- Robby back, even if it wasn't his best game
- Xerri took some nice clean grabs

So good to Taz back playing. Only a year ago my nephew succumbed to a tumour in his chest that was malignant and aggressive - he'd been playing high level Ice Hockey up until just the year before in Canada. I was naturally gutted for Robbie when I heard he was to have that surgery. Get well Taz!

X took one that wasn't paid too. That may have made a huge difference as it was within his kicking distance.

Trent Dumont is a massive factor in us “holding our shape”. He’s such a clever footballer. His desperation kicks out of defence are being over criticised by some around here, I think. He only does it when he’s under serious pressure, with no other option. Regardless, he gets it outside 50 closer to the boundary. Having said that, we need to be able to provide more backup options when we’re defending. Every other team seems more adept at it.

If there were players up the field who made space and gave him some better options his exit kicks might occasionally come off. I agree - he is strong and reliable. I'd have him in the team any week without a second thought.

I don't usually attribute losses to the umps, but jeez they weren't as attentive as you'd expect yesterday.

Very happy with the game as a whole, back 6 just a little muddled - that will straighten itself out though. Some periods we locked the ball in our 50 and gws weren't able to do anything, was good.

Toby, would love him in our colours. Him and Kelly did a lot to turn the tide.

Was about to post this very point. He must have had 5-6 great inside 50s, the majority led to a score involvement. He is one player who never panics and will make the best decision 80% of the time. He is smart and gut runs all day. Yeah sure, he doesn't have any explosive pace but he has been proving that over the last five years you don't actually need that to be highly effective and just as importantly, reliable.

People talking of trading him may well rue their wishes when we are down one of the players who is the glue connecting our established mids in Cunnington, Simpkin, LDU, Thomas to our emerging talent such as Powell, Scott and Mahony.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back