Is Bigfooty overlooked in the major AFL media?

Would you LIKE to see Bigfooty get further attention to detail in the major AFL media?

• Yes, there are plenty of voices on here which should be heard

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • No, it would only make the media more complicated then it already is

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • I Don't Know

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
It's always confused me considering the amount of attention to detail platforms like Twitter are given in the AFL media for frequent reference and quotes. Obviously with so many different social media platforms out in the world nowadays it's difficult to have an even distribution of attention amongst all of them, but I have never personally noticed any reference to content on Bigfooty from any major news outlets. Considering even platforms like Facebook and their shady cousin Instagram get a massive amount of attention for posts and comments made, and at times even trolling (Particularly involving verbal abuse towards players) why is Bigfooty never talked about despite supposedly being the leading online Aussie Rules Community? And do people prefer it this way or perhaps should we seek bigger widespread attention in the media to enforce more validity for growing opinions and accusations for both the league itself and the individual clubs?

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Never heard it mentioned so I'd say yes. When does the media ever reference an online forum? Maybe if 'important figures' started posting here they would. Twitter is where controversial newsworthy but usually vacuous soundbytes live.

Never heard it mentioned so I'd say yes. When does the media ever reference an online forum? Maybe if 'important figures' started posting here they would. Twitter is where controversial newsworthy but usually vacuous soundbytes live.
And if players WAGs called out their cheating on BigFooty we'd get TONS more traffic ;)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
It's always confused me considering the amount of attention to detail platforms like Twitter are given in the AFL media for frequent reference and quotes. Obviously with so many different social media platforms out in the world nowadays it's difficult to have an even distribution of attention amongst all of them, but I have never personally noticed any reference to content on Bigfooty from any major news outlets. Considering even platforms like Facebook and their shady cousin Instagram get a massive amount of attention for posts and comments made, and at times even trolling (Particularly involving verbal abuse towards players) why is Bigfooty never talked about despite supposedly being the leading online Aussie Rules Community? And do people prefer it this way or perhaps should we seek bigger widespread attention in the media to enforce more validity for growing opinions and accusations for both the league itself and the individual clubs?
Twitter is easy meat for the media, talking about someone elses opinion regardless of whether it has any substance.
Journos quoting Twitter should be viewed with a healthy dose of cynicism.

AwwThatsApples

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
HFL
I suppose like many sports nowadays simplicity seems to be more highly regarded than validity in the media. A poster on here can make extensive analysis with reference to resources of evidence for the sake of their argument and yet a singular sentence over Twitter is all which is needed for the most part. I suppose its logical to favour the platforms with higher traffic and popularity, but at the same time, it leaves me curious if there are other exclusive forums to major sports leagues around the world which might have similar issues regarding recognition?

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
The majority of people watching TV and listening to radio about AFL don't know what Bigfooty is, but they all know what Facebook, Twitter and Instagram are. Media is simply telling their audience of the sources being FB, Instagram, Twitter so they don't get confused

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bigfooty is not cool or well-known, and it won't 'land' to cite a website that the audience has never heard of. Mainstream social media (Twitter etc) is popular enough so that what people are saying on it is news in itself. And then when they want rumours, they are free to dig it up from Bigfooty without citing it because they are only rumours.

I could swear I saw a Bigfooty page being shown on TV by Channel Nine Adelaide some time in the last few years. Did anyone see that?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
If they did reference BF then they would then probs run it, that would mean we could no longer have an opinion without Gillon providing a tick of approval.
Right now BF is the only independent resource in Australia where you can say what you feel about the game. With no independent media the game is now longer reported in a bubble, the truth is never told. Everything is about making sure we hear what they want us to hear.

Keep the AFL as far away from BF as you can. You don't want them anywhere near it.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Joining a forum like bigfooty implies a more active interest than a targeted viewer. They don’t need a FB/IG/TW presence to glue our hobbyist attention. The familiar platforms are more known, casual friendly, generalist and also industry peep friendly. If the players and coaches and broadcasters are unlikely to feel comfortable openly having a bigfooty account, then it just isn’t going to receive attention. And a bit like the mythical open gay AFL player, the less on this platform there are the more focus on those that do. I suspect club social media policies have warned against it.

Sep 19, 2007
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Anaheim Ducks, PSV Eindhoven
It's not overlooked, they just don't reference it because it's where they steal column inches from.

I guarantee a lot of media don't even know BigFooty exists.
They're here
They use here
We're their unnamed sources.

News almost always breaks here before anywhere else.
IIRC, news was filtering out about the Essendon drug scandal days before it hit the main media

Back