Review Dees v Maggies - the Good, Bad & Fugly on Queens Birthday - Round 13, 2021

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I love that this win would've brought us to 12 wins and probably solidly a top 8 spot (box ticked, move onto the next goal), but we stuffed it, much like we stuffed it against the Pies in 2017.

Don't know why this loss is getting to me so much.

Worst 11-1 side ever, happy to skip plausible and jump straight to

images.jpeg

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not going to panic because plenty of premiership teams have had 1-2 of those shocking performances during the course of the year. But…

- Effort was horrible, the likes of Oliver and Trac set the tone by not being interested in any footy or tackle that wasn’t directly in their path.

- Gawn was smashed in the ruck by a first year ruckman. It’s no aberration that we lose clearances with him in there.

- Strategically very stupid and cowardly the way we tried to go forward. After acknowledging we went too slow and chipped it around first half last week, we did exactly the same thing again. Weid, Fritsch, Tmac, Pickett were all s**t, but we were 11-1 going into them and decided we needed to sneak the ball into the 50 around the boundary line to win the game? * me if Weid/Tmac/Jackson/Gawn/Fritsch can’t bring the ball to ground against Darcy Moore how are we gonna win a final against the Cats or Tigers? Give them a chance and be beaten fair and square rather than taking stupid low % options.

We should have been taking the game on through the middle and putting their defence under pressure, not creeping around the boundary line all game.

-We were totally asleep defensively and not prepared to work to shut down their options. Looked to me like we’ve got ahead of ourselves and though the ‘system’ does the defending for you.

- I rate Mihocek and would love him in our side but it’s pretty embarrassing for the likes of Cameron to be getting hold of our tall defenders.

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
anyone hating on weid didn't watch the game. the ball was never kicked anywhere even remotely decent for him, i'd hate to be a forward at melbourne. ben brown would have got even less of the ball.

Everyone else’s fault except Weid’s. Good analysis.

Bloke is averaging 1 scoring shot per game this season over five games. You couldn’t even contrive for a forward to be that shyte.

In their sixth season.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
Collingwood.
We won’t play bottom 4 sides in finals, so might just win the flag.
Jackson.
Hunt.
Lever & May - under duress.

Bad:
It was entirely predictable that Collingwood were going to defend well, be bold with their ball movement and be fierce at the ball carrier - none of our players seemed to be awake to this during the game.

Gawn - to get schooled by a no-namer. Pathetic.

Petracca & Oliver - caught too often not using the first option. Poor.

Fritsch - a really frustrating player, does some fantastic things but is also an absolute cat.

Fugly:
Weideman - Tubby Taylor looked in better nick through 96-97. Should hold the ball aloft next time he marks one - would give a standing ovation.

The last quarter - the first 15 minutes looked like the worst of 2019/20 hate******* the Neeld years. Couldn’t get the ball for 3 consecutive touches punctuated with 50 dickheads running into the inside of the contest while Collingwood whisked the ball away at warp speed.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watched at the pub so was a bit distracted. But the whole game we seemed off. Pies got lots of intercepts from handballs in the center and our defenders weren't ready and conceded lots of marks inside 50 because it was coming in quick.

In offense we looked horrible. The few good times we went corridor or switched we found nothing inside 50, way to afraid not to kick it anywhere but the pocket.

Most of the time we went long out of D50. Reckon we conceded about 6 repeat inside 50's early in the 3rd I think. Gawn can't mark them all.

We never looked like making them pay on the counter. Just a really bad game from the whole team all round.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Good: Jacko. Thought he had a good game.

Bad: Players minds already seemed like they were on leave.

Fugly: not lowering the eyes and we just seemed to bomb it into the forward line. That’s what I took away from watching the game.

“* it Weed/Fritsch/Macca are out there somewhere.”

Part of that is on the forwards not leading out but too often the midfield just bombed it in there and hoped for the best.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not going to panic because plenty of premiership teams have had 1-2 of those shocking performances during the course of the year. But…

- Effort was horrible, the likes of Oliver and Trac set the tone by not being interested in any footy or tackle that wasn’t directly in their path.

- Gawn was smashed in the ruck by a first year ruckman. It’s no aberration that we lose clearances with him in there.

- Strategically very stupid and cowardly the way we tried to go forward. After acknowledging we went too slow and chipped it around first half last week, we did exactly the same thing again. Weid, Fritsch, Tmac, Pickett were all sh*t, but we were 11-1 going into them and decided we needed to sneak the ball into the 50 around the boundary line to win the game? fu** me if Weid/Tmac/Jackson/Gawn/Fritsch can’t bring the ball to ground against Darcy Moore how are we gonna win a final against the Cats or Tigers? Give them a chance and be beaten fair and square rather than taking stupid low % options.

We should have been taking the game on through the middle and putting their defence under pressure, not creeping around the boundary line all game.

-We were totally asleep defensively and not prepared to work to shut down their options. Looked to me like we’ve got ahead of ourselves and though the ‘system’ does the defending for you.

- I rate Mihocek and would love him in our side but it’s pretty embarrassing for the likes of Cameron to be getting hold of our tall defenders.
Spot on.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne

Bloke is averaging 1 scoring shot per game this season over five games. You couldn’t even contrive for a forward to be that sh*te.

In their sixth season.

Weid was bad and doesn’t really have a leg to stand on if the coaches want to go with Brown next game.

But I’d be shocked if he wasn’t told to play a decoy role of sorts or present to certain positions rather than just letting him play footy and fly at the ball. Can’t think of a single ball kicked to his advantage all day.

Oceanlabxo

Debutant
Oct 19, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

Bloke is averaging 1 scoring shot per game this season over five games. You couldn’t even contrive for a forward to be that sh*te.

In their sixth season.

not saying that he was good, just everyone raging at him is glossing over the fact we got one goal from our top 3 and about 15 touches combined

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The mids pressure was way off but it wasn't like our forwards didn't have any supply - we had more inside 50s than Collingwood.

We just couldnt win a contest in the front half. Some of that was delivery, but most of that was our forwards all having stinkers except LJ. Tmac and Weid had zero aerial presence and the smalls didn't bring any heat after the first quarter. Also the bizarre option to keep bombing to deep in the pockets inside 50 was dumb.

Many of our player's worst games. Should have lost by 30-40 really. Need the bye and need to come out and bully Essendon.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Forgot to do any goods. Jackson was very good again and our best quarters of football are consistently coinciding with him getting involved from the middle of the ground.

A couple of those passages in the third where he got involved multiple times were amazing. He almost never fumbles or misses a target by hand.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
If anyone follows the squiggle, we were expected to win by 30. And basically premiership winning teams have much higher rated attack then we do.

So unless we smash some mid ranked defenses or beat some good defensive teams by good margins not these 20 point wins, we historically aren't in the premiership profile.

Having good good team defense is great but if we want to be contending we need to sort out our attack. Especially against low ranked teams. Atm we aren't close. Soft wins against poor sides does mean something.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
If anyone follows the squiggle, we were expected to win by 30. And basically premiership winning teams have much higher rated attack then we do.

So unless we smash some mid ranked defenses or beat some good defensive teams by good margins not these 20 point wins, we historically aren't in the premiership profile.

Having good good team defense is great but if we want to be contending we need to sort out our attack. Especially against low ranked teams. Atm we aren't close. Soft wins against poor sides does mean something.
It feels a bit like a muted version of 2017 where we were pants against crap sides that we should beat and fierce against the contenders. We’re getting away with 20 odd point wins against most of the s**t sides but really need to start twisting the knife a bit more.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good - Jackson very impressive
Salem best game in a month

Bad- Our much vaunted defence was picked apart again, has happened way to often recently, Lever has had his worst 2 games of the year last two weeks and May hasn’t been much better,Salem only one to stand up today.

Ugly - worst 4 quarters from the midfield for the year, we get beaten in the midfield we lose, forward half was non existent, Weid can’t play next game but either should BB

I love that this win would've brought us to 12 wins and probably solidly a top 8 spot (box ticked, move onto the next goal), but we stuffed it, much like we stuffed it against the Pies in 2017.

Don't know why this loss is getting to me so much.

Probably coz it made last week's epic win meaningless more or less.

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'll come back with a full review a bit later, but the one saving grace is that we're saving the s**t performances for the bottom teams and beating the top teams, which is still much better than the alternative and gives me hope for the finals.

Our record vs top-10 teams:

7 wins 0 losses / 141%

Our record vs bottom-8 teams:

4 wins 2 losses / 124%

Work that one out.

Honestly expected the board to be a blazing inferno by now. Think weve handled it pretty well all things considered given what we dished up today.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I had a great weekend even if we lost:

Discovered shallots are the perfect addition to Hot Dogs. If you've got some shallots spare in the fridge (and why wouldn't you, they're amazing), add some to your next Dog. Didn't realise Mustard and Spring Onions were so perfect together. Almost as good a combo as Dees playing really well for a couple of weeks and then absolutely shitting the bed against a ******* crap ******* footy team.
Also had some great scores at the Antiques market in the morning, some really nice vintage money boxes to add to my collection of vintage money boxes.
A couple of 70s and 80s matchbox cars, two nice CD's. Some AMAZING hard rubbish scores today as well, including this lamp that is a naked dude and the power switch is his dick. Classy!!!

Back