Preview Rd 14 - Carlton v GWS Sat June 19 7.25pm @ Giants Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS- Heath Buck was saying that he doubts that he will play another game for us and that he will be traded to a W.A. club at years end. I feel for him, I think he genuinely loves our club. Should never of been played in defence and he would have been much better suited to a role around half-forward and some mid rotations.
Setters certainly has not set the world alight. Needs to play in the guts and not on a wing. Still young and has improvement in him I hope.
LOB must play this week, I know many do not rate him at all, including Buck. However I have always held out hope that he would develop into that jet wingman that we so desperately need.
Murphy is clearly cooked and does not deserve 300 games on his current output.
SPS would prefer to stay in Melbourne

May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I want Dow in the square first centre bounce. Let him play on instinct, see ball get ball, distribute by hand or if he gets the fast break out of traffic running towards goals then kick it in fast.

For me Dows biggest problem is what he does without the ball. He is virtually unsighted if the ball isn't in his hands. Doesn't seem to chase, tackle, block, Sheppard etc. The 1%s

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
images

Form line:

Carlton is coming off the bye (more on that below), after a worse-than-expected 4-8 start to season 2021. That said, Collingwood was the only game dropped which shouldn't have been. The Giants ran Richmond to four points before an impressive win over West Coast and a loss to the Dogs. They are approaching the first of what they hope will be two wins against ourselves and Hawthorn, which would see them at 6-1-6 and poised for a run at the eight. They've been solid but not brilliant. Today's draw against North was a bad slip up, and opens the door for a number of their rivals (maybe even us?).

The bye:
In the last nine years our overall win percentage is 32.7% (63-1-130). Coming off the bye we are 44.4% (four wins out of nine matches - all four wins by under a goal).

H2H:

We've played them 10 times overall. We won the first two convincingly, when they were still in nappies. A solitary win since then, and that by a point. Before the shortened COVID game last year (9 point loss after we kicked only one goal after half time), they pantsed us by around 100 points in the previous two encounters.

Styles In Summary

Giants tend to muscle their way to their wins of late, led by Mummy in the ruck. They have not been rock solid in front of goal, but have generated enough chances to get them over the line in their wins.

Blues tend to find various ways to lose by just under four goals. Common factors are heroic efforts by the back six, breaking even at least in the midfield, missing easy shots at goal and going to sleep for 15 minutes at some point each game.

How to stop/beat the Giants:

Frankly it's hard to see a way. If we play them every week for the next ten weeks, they win nine of them. Our best bet is to cross our fingers and hope that this is the other one.

Their midfield bats deeper than ours, and is not short on talent and class (Kelly, Taranto, Whitfield, Ward, DeBoer, Hopper, Green). I'm guessing that De Boer will go to Walsh - it will be interesting to see how our man goes. After getting destroyed by Heeney and Ryan in our last two games, we face the prospect of not one but two dangerous small forwards (Greene, Bobby Hill). Weitering and Jones should be able to beat their two KPF's though (Finlayson, Perryman). At the other end Harry will have an edge (over who? suspect they will double team him all day) and will be hard to stop, but (a) we need to give him enough looks at it, and (b) his conversion needs to improve.
Perhaps if their defence is too Harry-focussed then Betts, Owies, Fisher and Silvagni can do some damage. That quartet will likely need to kick five or six between them if we are any chance.

We certainly won't win if it's a shoot out. To have a chance we need to slow it down, tackle, contest, scrap, tackle, take our chances, tackle, defend well, and tackle.

Ins/Outs: IMVHO

Blues: Out - Murphy (sub), Cottrell, Newnes, Setterfield, Curnow. In - Plowman, Parks, Kennedy, Kemp, Samo (Plowman and Parks to take their small forwards, Stocker, Samo, Kennedy and Kemp to be thrown into our midfield rotations).

Giants: TBC

Prediction:

Logic and form would say we lose this by three our four goals, again. Or maybe we turn the corner and lose by 70+.

But in an alternative universe we turn a different corner and break the cycle. The 'other' Carlton, that one we all know is lurking just under the surface, the one that plays with confidence, dash, flair and composure when necessary, the one that is capable of multiple wins in a row, like freshwater pearls shining on a string in the sunshine... that one shows up.

Blues by 25.

The match v WCE was expected to be dropped?

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton
For me Dows biggest problem is what he does without the ball. He is virtually unsighted if the ball isn't in his hands. Doesn't seem to chase, tackle, block, Sheppard etc. The 1%s
Dow.......................Dow has been expenive,your above description in the guts against A grade opposition

equals damage-damage out group cannot recover from,so maybe Dow is just an excuse for out failures... he will be a good B grader anyway,i dont think he has it.

Why all about Dow and others slipping through our midfield like wet Soap.......BECAUSE WE GOT NO DEPTH AND WE ARE DESPERATE

We need mid depth pronto.....genuine AFL tank and skillls........tom mitchell pls {am i dreaming}

BlueLocke

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Need the midfield group to step up in a big way if we want a win - just relying on Cripps and Walsh for any sort of offensive play hasn’t been working.

Until one of Williams, Setterfield, Stocker, Dow, SPS or another second-tier play steps up as a genuine and reliable contributor - we are going to struggle to win games.

I don’t want to see Stocker on the last line against Greene.

I do want to see TDK with some serious ruck minutes - Mumford’s physicality should be seen as a challenge.

Oct 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Need the midfield group to step up in a big way if we want a win - just relying on Cripps and Walsh for any sort of offensive play hasn’t been working.

Until one of Williams, Setterfield, Stocker, Dow, SPS or another second-tier play steps up as a genuine and reliable contributor - we are going to struggle to win games.

I do want to see TDK with some serious ruck minutes - Mumford’s physicality should be seen as a challenge.
Get a feeling we won't have to worry about Mumford

EDIT: He got a fine, lol

Aug 17, 2016
GOLD COAST
AFL Club
Carlton

Ye we dont really have a midfield depth,Cripps is our sole Elite inside mid,two great wingers in Walsh and Doc
Ed is fit and strong and a good tagger
Williams is a great HF who can help out midfield
Samo is actually a good HB also not a mid.....he is too small and no bulk
Setters is ok...we need more from him

Davey33

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
SPS- Heath Buck was saying that he doubts that he will play another game for us and that he will be traded to a W.A. club at years end. I feel for him, I think he genuinely loves our club. Should never of been played in defence and he would have been much better suited to a role around half-forward and some mid rotations.
Setters certainly has not set the world alight. Needs to play in the guts and not on a wing. Still young and has improvement in him I hope.
LOB must play this week, I know many do not rate him at all, including Buck. However I have always held out hope that he would develop into that jet wingman that we so desperately need.
Murphy is clearly cooked and does not deserve 300 games on his current output.
Good post.

Hope SPS will be given another chance.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Can’t see the MC not giving TDK a proper rucking partner if Mummy plays. Mummy will dish out a fair few knees amongst other “tricks” to batter TDK
How is he going to knee him if he can't jump

Jimmyonesix

Premiership Player
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Teague said the other week SPS has been on a training program to pick up his running capacity to play more midfield minutes - I wouldn't be surprised if he played flat in that VFL game .. we will see if it works or this is really the coaches plan as if it is I would expect him to play this week (after a 5 week training block )

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
A players attitude on being dropped can say a lot. Id love to say SPS went back and dominated at the lower level but he didn't. In fact he got nowhere near it. Would love to see him make it and hope im wrong but it really smelled of a guy who has checked out.
Was apparently bog in the swans blues vfl practice match filler game thingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back