Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

PandaG

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Probably a worse injury but still an accident. Buy it now.
So then it would be okay if Mumford lined up guys over a 30m run up, bent over to get the ball and smashed a bloke who ends if ‘worse’ with brain damage or in a wheelchair..? But hey if it is the contest and the umpire doesn’t call a free kick then it’s all good, that’s footy.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
As I have already said, you have missed the point entirely. You are entitled to view the footage however you like and come to your own conclusions but the basis of the discussion has moved on from what you are suggesting. You are talking about the mechanics of a specific incident. The discussion is about what the incident means and what it says about our game.

Goodwin and Chris Scott have already agreed that this issue is likely to continue the direction the game has already moved in - different tackling and training methods, etc - and most certainly in getting rid of the view that a player who, in exercising their duty of care to an opponent, should never be branded as a squib, or as taking a backward step.

That approach is wrong and the testimony of it being wrong is the large number of former footballers around the country who are trying to live normal lives while suffering the consequences of so-called "tough" football. There are sports such as wrestling, boxing and MMA for those people who enjoy brutal physical contact. That is not the primary basis of aussie rules, its about controlling an oval shaped ball in a huge playing space, at high speed, with a lot of other players trying their best to do the same thing. The physicality involved in doing it is only part of the means of doing it, which is why there are many different sizes and shapes successfully playing our game. Accidents happen but the game has a responsibility to remove those aspects of it that are likely to produce career threatening, and life altering outcomes. Such as big, strong, fast, fit players running at high speed into an opponent who is not aware that they are about to hit.

You jump off a moving vehicle at say 40-45km/hr into some bags of sand and let me know how it feels.
Yet he was always going for the ball. He wasn’t going in to the contest to run into the player. It was a simple football contest as nearly everyone in the media keep saying. Are they all wrong. And most who are saying it are advocates of the damage a bump does should mean suspension at the tribunal.

PandaG

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yet he was always going for the ball. He wasn’t going in to the contest to run into the player. It was a simple football contest as nearly everyone in the media keep saying. Are they all wrong. And most who are saying it are advocates of the damage a bump does should mean suspension at the tribunal.
Most in the media saying it are hardened ex footballers of traditionalists. Unfortunately David King has made the most sense in this topic then anyone else.

KingsRansom

Club Legend
Aug 23, 2020
AFL Club
St Kilda
It wasn't a bump

He braced and got him high, front on. There in lies the problem. I get the contact, I get accidents happen. But he took the risk and got him high, he could have slowed and waited but he didn't. Yes he went hard at the ball, but unfortunately didn't get it an severely injured someone in the process.

How many concussions or caused by speccies? Next to nil. How many injuries from head high hits? Astronomical

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
So then it would be okay if Mumford lined up guys over a 30m run up, bent over to get the ball and smashed a bloke who ends if ‘worse’ with brain damage or in a wheelchair..? But hey if it is the contest and the umpire doesn’t call a free kick then it’s all good, that’s footy.
Is he contesting the ball or lining him up. Two completely different things. Very emotive just makes so sense.

Oct 18, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St Kilda, Ocean Grove Collendina Cobras
So we play finals and he finished 5th in the BnF of a side who won a final.

but off the back of a poor season for nearly everyone not named Steele orCrouch we should be trading Coffield?
I thought Highmore looked as good as Coff - get a chb and you can't then play Howard, Wilkie, Coffield and Highmore in the same team. Someone has to miss out.

Lets say for arguments sake that Highmore continues playing the way he did on Saturday and then at the end of the season someone enquired about Coff - you'd have to listen.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
Most in the media saying it are hardened ex footballers of traditionalists. Unfortunately David King has made the most sense in this topic then anyone else.
Again not true. As I said nearly everyone saying it is an advocate of suspension if you bump and hurt someone but try to get out of it that way.

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds united, Chicago Bulls
I thought Highmore looked as good as Coff - get a chb and you can't then play Howard, Wilkie, Coffield and Highmore in the same team. Someone has to miss out.

Lets say for arguments sake that Highmore continues playing the way he did on Saturday and then at the end of the season someone enquired about Coff - you'd have to listen.
Okay, I’ll pretend with you.
Who in the bottom 8 is giving me a first rounder for Coffield?

Pick 8 in the draft 47 games
2020 Best emerging player
2020 AFL players Association 22 under 22
2020 5th in the B&F
Club should give it away if they get rid of him
Maybe look at better development management at the club

Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
My point is read the rest of the conversation.
I’ve seen the conversation but not once have I seen you articulate why it’s acceptable McKay comes from as far back as he did and continues in a straight line at Clark. Even when the ball bounces up after going over Clark’s head - McKay still isn’t going to be first to the ball. He doesn’t deviate. He doesn’t slow down to tackle either - the argument should be made that he accelerates meters before impact when he knows he won’t get the ball. It’s dangerous and moronic. It also isn’t 1989 and you can’t line players up anymore.

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why would I think they have pretty much the same fitness. Was dal said it on the radio and he has been to top and bottom clubs. Also I plenty of experience with with a fair few afl players who would also know. As for working hard well that isn’t about fitness it’s an attitude thing.

Del spent the majority of his time at the Saints where we were a disciplined group. Only caught a few years of our horrible slump, and there was probably some training standard leftover from the Lyon/Roo leadership.

On that, Riewoldt made comments years ago about our lack of work rate. Seems like we have been poor for years in this area.

Look at the body shape of our players. It's terrible. We would have the worst skin folds in the comp. Not many working hard in the weight room either. It is really obvious to the naked eye our training standards are not up to scratch.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
A lot forgetting how good he was last year at 19 years old
Completely agree with you.
He is a huge talent. I would love to see him as part of a west coast eagles zone defence where he can fly for intercept marks.

Jan 10, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ormond AFC
I’ve seen the conversation but not once have I seen you articulate why it’s acceptable McKay comes from as far back as he did and continues in a straight line at Clark. Even when the ball bounces up after going over Clark’s head - McKay still isn’t going to be first to the ball. He doesn’t deviate. He doesn’t slow down to tackle either - the argument should be made that he accelerates meters before impact when he knows he won’t get the ball. It’s dangerous and moronic. It also isn’t 1989 and you can’t line players up anymore.

Obviously really struggling when you find the only clip of anyone I’ve heard wanting a suspension. I could be as weak as you on your opinion that I could show 20 who say he shouldn’t get suspended but I’m confident in my own knowledge that he was playing the ball. What’s your reasoning why so many think he is playing the ball and please don’t give me crap these guys are living in the 80’s because I can assure you they want suspensions for bumps that hurt players.

Back