Preview Round 14, 2021 | North Melbourne vs Brisbane @ Blundstone Arena | Saturday, 19 June @ 16:35

Remove this Banner Ad

One game that a lot of people are interested in seeing.

And here I was thinking that games were played for the express purpose of allocating premiership points to the winner to determine ladder position :think: I guess we should just have Richmond v Collingwood 9 times a week, 22 weeks a year

Geez dude, have you heard of COVID? The worlds changed, if the Victorian government decide to let the AFL have games in Melbourne with no crowd, you still lose out anyway!
That’s not the point at all. I fully understand that this game needs to be played in Hobart.

My point is that Ben has already come out and said we might give you a crappy guest pass or voucher, no talk of moving a game back to Victoria if crowds are allowed.

What I want to hear from the CEO is, we know this is impacting our Melbourne Members, so we will talk to the AFL about the possibility of shifting one of the remaining 2 Tassie games back to Melbourne.

If this wasn’t a football club that people love and a product for purchase, then People wouldn’t be buying North Memberships. When comparing to other AFL Clubs our membership is an inferior product.

Maybe Ben and his mates might want to start thinking about why this club exists and stop relying on people’s generosity to contribute even when they keep taking things away.

Being a member of a club is not about getting value for money, but there is also a fine line between asking for people to blindly support without having their best interests at heart. At the end of the day if it’s money over members, then rip the bandaid off and ship us off.

Last edited:

Apparently the Victorian government is prohibiting any crowds in Melbourne, so it makes sense to move the game where there can be a crowd.

If you have any complaints direct them at the Victorian Government.
It makes complete sense.

But I also think it makes sense for the club to ask about the possibility of moving one of the remaining Hobart fixtures back to Melbourne.

This is entirely speculation rather than any insider knowledge but I suspect the reason we won't get the Geelong game switched to Marvel Stadium instead of Hobart as a replacement is that Spirit of Tasmania pays the club a lot of money to attract Victorian tourists to Tasmania. They have a Geelong game locked in and they are not going to let that one go as it's worth too much to them. They got stitched up yesterday with Victorians not attending due to lockdown only being lifted a couple of days prior and GWS traveling supporters being a non-event. The fact that we came forward with this extra game against a QLD opponent is a bonus to them but it is in no way equivalent to Geelong. They would not agree to a swap of the Geelong game as it's their best chance to recoup business to justify their investment.

This whole situation doesn't fill me with joy but I can understand why it's unfolding this way.

Got no issue with giving them a go.

But prior to yesterday his form was poor.

Just making a point that it’s not idiotic to ask for an out of form player to go back to the VFL. Just like Young who is terribly out of form.
Jack has always showed something whenever he played and he's a tough little bugger who never shirks it. The team can't all be A graders, you need role players to just do their job and I reckon he's being doing his job as a defensive half forward pretty well all season.

I tend to agree that it if the club is not going to make an effort to transfer a Tas game from later in the year to Melbourne then that's pretty shitty. We continue to get less and less.

I mean, it's an interesting idea (giving a game back into Melb), but the logic is flawed.

A few seem upset that the game has been moved so they have missed the chance to attend a game... but it's a game they cannot legally attend anyway.
100% this. Seems to me the perfect opportunity to move a game to Tas where at least a crowd can attend and to play nice with a sponsor who missed games last year.

What’s idiotic about calling for a player out of form to be dropped?

He played well yesterday so of course no one will question his place next week, but before that he was very lucky to retain his place.
He wasn’t lucky.
He was just doing things that the team, players and coaches value that are important but many impartial and less knowledgeable observers generally miss.

100% this. Seems to me the perfect opportunity to move a game to Tas where at least a crowd can attend and to play nice with a sponsor who missed games last year.
You are actually proving my point.

The club is actually more interested in looking after its sponsors than its members.

The deal is 4 games a year in Tassie, not 5.

I am disappointed that the possibility of shifting a game seems to not even be on the table. Surely it’s not hard to ask the AFL for a fixture change?

Moving the Gold Coast game would have minimal impact if the GWS game is anything to go by and you also are looking after your members.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suspect TG will miss. Dunno who they will bring in.

1964-ford-gt40.jpg

What about us Brisbane members?????.....well actually I have a melbourne membership, cause the interstate one is just crap.....and because of that, last year I had to buy tickets to all our QLD games!!!! it's all just a donation to the club one way or the other!!!!
I'm a member of both clubs so I am getting it with both barrels but being Old Fitzroy I'm used to it

You are actually proving my point.

The club is actually more interested in looking after its sponsors than its members.

The deal is 4 games a year in Tassie, not 5.

I am disappointed that the possibility of shifting a game seems to not even be on the table. Surely it’s not hard to ask the AFL for a fixture change?

Moving the Gold Coast game would have minimal impact if the GWS game is anything to go by and you also are looking after your members.

The Gold Coast game is the only one that is even remotely possible given that the Tasmanian sponsors would not be willing to give up the Geelong game. But moving the Gold Coast game is tricky for a couple of reasons. The first is that it's only a week and a half away and we still don't have the green light for crowds in Melbourne. The second reason is that as the draft fixture currently stands for that weekend, taking account of the number of games already planned for Melbourne as well as the broadcast schedule, it would require moving other games to open up a time slot and venue. That's doable, but how much does the AFL want to inconvenience other clubs and broadcasters to accommodate us? I'm tipping not much.

The Gold Coast game is the only one that is even remotely possible given that the Tasmanian sponsors would not be willing to give up the Geelong game. But moving the Gold Coast game is tricky for a couple of reasons. The first is that it's only a week and a half away and we still don't have the green light for crowds in Melbourne. The second reason is that as the draft fixture currently stands for that weekend, taking account of the number of games already planned for Melbourne as well as the broadcast schedule, it would require moving other games to open up a time slot and venue. That's doable, but how much does the AFL want to inconvenience other clubs and broadcasters to accommodate us? I'm tipping not much.
It’s irrelevant now as it seems the club has chosen to have 5 games in Tassie this year, but I was under the impression that the AFL fixtures our games and not the sponsor.

The sponsor had the right to 4 games, but not to actually dictate the opponent.

At the end of the day, my whole point was that the club was very quick to shut down the idea of trying to get a game back for its Melbourne members and wasn’t even interested in lobbying the AFL if crowds returned in Melbourne.

From a balance perspective, we were a bit top heavy down back with Taz, Walker, Mckay and Ziebell, so hopefully we make a change there. I would drop Walker and send Young back as the wing isn't working for him. Scott and Stevo to get more wing time.

Out: Garner (injured), Walker

In: Taylor (would not mind Ford, but he's raw as anything), Atu (small defender coverage against the Brions fleet of fast small forwards).

From a balance perspective, we were a bit top heavy down back with Taz, Walker, Mckay and Ziebell, so hopefully we make a change there. I would drop Walker and send Young back as the wing isn't working for him. Scott and Stevo to get more wing time.

Out: Garner (injured), Walker

In: Taylor (would not mind Ford, but he's raw as anything), Atu (small defender coverage against the Brions fleet of fast small forwards).

Lukey Mac is apparently in the frame mate. Atu might have to miss.

As for Curtis & Eddie, I reckon Eddie plays taller, so if you're going to omit Josh Walker........................

^Nah it just allows Ziebell to not have to play tall. Can be more attacking

key matchups
Mcstay-Walker
Daniher-Mckay
hipwood -Tarrant

And Lmac probably comes in for young and allows us to play him either wing or hbf
I would move Stevo up to the wing and look at bringing in LMac and someone out of Ford, Phillips or Lazarro for Garner and Young.

Looking forward to this game, i reckon they are bit suspect to pace, and if we don't fall in and play the game the way they like it, we can cause a few headaches. Bit disappointed my favourite free kick staging flog, Zorko wont be there though.
We troubled them last year.

Daniher worries me, our backs haven’t traditionally matched up that well on him.

Lukey Mac is apparently in the frame mate. Atu might have to miss.

As for Curtis & Eddie, I reckon Eddie plays taller, so if you're going to omit Josh Walker........................
L Mac may blow up a bit without match fitness.

It was the backline balance I was worried about. The Ford suggestion was more to do with Ford likely being a stronger influence (over Taylor) in the air (like Garner) without being a proper kpf-sized player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back