Preview Changes vs Cats - Rd 14, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol Geelong flogs ..

"he double advantage is that for every 1% we add, it'll take off roughly 1% from them. So instead of needing to make up 20% (150% - 130%), we only need to add probably 5% to 10% to top them. ie If we win 120 to 50, we go to 1180F/867A/136% to the bulldogs 1235F/910A/135%"

Lol Geelong flogs ..

"he double advantage is that for every 1% we add, it'll take off roughly 1% from them. So instead of needing to make up 20% (150% - 130%), we only need to add probably 5% to 10% to top them. ie If we win 120 to 50, we go to 1180F/867A/136% to the bulldogs 1235F/910A/135%"
This is strange. Do you think a marathon runner is concerned about whether or not they pass an opponent at the 25km mark?

I know obviously Geelong won't care if they finish the round ahead of us, but it's strange some of their supporters appear to be fixated on this.

Those dimensions may be fence to fence.
The actual playing area (within the boundary line) is:

Marvel 159.5 x 128.5
GMHBA 167 x 112
MCG 162 x 139

and for reference:
Mars 160 x 129

However your point still stands.

I reckon their home ground advantage must be worth at least 2-3 games a year to them. That would often be the difference that gets them into the top 4 (and a home final at the G) at the expense of an interstate or smaller Victorian club. Good on them for exploiting it to their advantage. It just sucks that clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn rarely play there. So they too reap a benefit ... probably worth about half a win in the years that they are competing for the top 4, which is when it matters.

Instead the Victorian minnows are the sacrificial lambs on the altar of the great pagan cat deity, sometimes even in periods when they are flag contenders. Probably the interstate clubs too. Here's a summary of Victorian clubs to play at KP over the last 20-odd years:

Carlton - 3 games at KP since 1997 (all since 2018)​
Collingwood - 0 games at KP since 1999​
Essendon - 0 games at KP since 1993​
Hawthorn - 3 games at KP since 1999​

By contrast:
WB - 13 games at KP since 1999 ... counting this coming round
North - 9 games at KP since 2008 (none between 1995-2007)​
Saints - 9 games at KP since 1999​
Melbourne - 16 games at KP since 1999​
Richmond - 8 games at KP since 1999 but none since they won their flag in 2017​

I know some will say it's all about maximising attendances - some clubs will draw bigger crowds at the MCG than can fit into KP. No doubt that's true, but it seems to me that's a far higher priority for the AFL than having a fair competition. Equalisation should encompass a lot more than the so-called "handouts" (I prefer to call it hush money) to the smaller clubs.

So why isn't there more widespread outrage and ransacking of AFL House at this massive leg-up not only for Geelong but also Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn?

View attachment 1155850

What about in the past 5 years. I think we played them down there every season except last year (which we were originally supposed to do anyway). Seems like the league are fixated on us playing in Canberra, Perth (twice) and Geelong year after year. I guess somebody has to as Coll, Rich, Carl and Ess hardly ever play away from the MCG.

Last edited:
It makes them feel superior, remember when they were flat track bullies to Richmond and Melbourne down there, now it’s Norf (only won by 30 points), Gold Coast and us. i think they request to play us down there. It will continue until we start beating them at their home and then it will mysteriously cease.

This is strange. Do you think a marathon runner is concerned about whether or not they pass an opponent at the 25km mark?

I know obviously Geelong won't care if they finish the round ahead of us, but it's strange some of their supporters appear to be fixated on this.

‘Don’t worry it’s all part of their insecurity of having so many over 30 players. They are going to struggle soon enough.

So were Richmond, and the afl didn't have to change byes to let them play Wet toast as they both have the bye this week
Richmond flew back to Sydney between games. I suspect the key difference was AFL only had to skip a week forward, not two. If we were supposed to play WCE the week before Richmond, I suspect our game would have been the one pulled forward.

Lol Geelong flogs ..

I'm not confident in the slightest, but I'd be legit shocked if we lost by 70 points and only scored 50 points for the game.

Size of ground
Marvel 169.5m and 140m wide
K Park 170 x 115 m
MCG 171 metres x 146 metres
It is a fact that Australia is on one of the fastest moving tectonic plates on earth and is drifting to the north- east at the rate of 7 centimetres per year. So depending on when those measurements were taken you will have to adjust them by multiples of 7 cm. 🤪🤪🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a fact that Australia is on one of the fastest moving tectonic plates on earth and is drifting to the north- east at the rate of 7 centimetres per year. So depending on when those measurements were taken you will have to adjust them by multiples of 7 cm. 🤪🤪🤪
True about the movement of the tectonic plate but given all grounds sit in the middle of the plate they are all moving together at 7cm per year so the ground size remains a constant

Post 2016 Grand Final, I recall Bevo make a point that the only team he had failed to defeat in his two years as a senior coach was Geelong. The way he addressed his audience suggested defeating Geelong was top of his agenda in terms of claiming a scalp. This was evidenced by our 2017 match against Geelong when we took it right up to them on their home deck. We were in front early in the final quarter and had a bit of momentum when Cloke gave away a free kick, followed by a 50m penalty, to gift Geelong a goal. It was all down hill from there.

We were no good in 2018, yet we managed to defeat them. We defeated them again in 2019. Admittedly, both of those matches were at Marvel Stadium. Last year we kicked the first seven goals of the match, only to be overrun and lose by less than two goals. VDM and Wood both got injured in the first half which ultimately cost us the victory.

Our last three matches against Geelong have been pleasing, and I take comfort in knowing we'll be up for this game.

Those dimensions may be fence to fence.
The actual playing area (within the boundary line) is:

Marvel 159.5 x 128.5
GMHBA 167 x 112
MCG 162 x 139

and for reference:
Mars 160 x 129

However your point still stands.

I reckon their home ground advantage must be worth at least 2-3 games a year to them. That would often be the difference that gets them into the top 4 (and a home final at the G) at the expense of an interstate or smaller Victorian club. Good on them for exploiting it to their advantage. It just sucks that clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn rarely play there. So they too reap a benefit ... probably worth about half a win in the years that they are competing for the top 4, which is when it matters.

Instead the Victorian minnows are the sacrificial lambs on the altar of the great pagan cat deity, sometimes even in periods when they are flag contenders. Probably the interstate clubs too. Here's a summary of Victorian clubs to play at KP over the last 20-odd years:

Carlton - 3 games at KP since 1997 (all since 2018)​
Collingwood - 0 games at KP since 1999​
Essendon - 0 games at KP since 1993​
Hawthorn - 3 games at KP since 1999​

By contrast:
WB - 13 games at KP since 1999 ... counting this coming round
North - 9 games at KP since 2008 (none between 1995-2007)​
Saints - 9 games at KP since 1999​
Melbourne - 16 games at KP since 1999​
Richmond - 8 games at KP since 1999 but none since they won their flag in 2017​

I know some will say it's all about maximising attendances - some clubs will draw bigger crowds at the MCG than can fit into KP. No doubt that's true, but it seems to me that's a far higher priority for the AFL than having a fair competition. Equalisation should encompass a lot more than the so-called "handouts" (I prefer to call it hush money) to the smaller clubs.

So why isn't there more widespread outrage and ransacking of AFL House at this massive leg-up not only for Geelong but also Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn?

View attachment 1155850

Thank you Dogwatch. I hate when the media review the draw, they never factor in Geelong in Geelong. Every year the Dogs play there. Every year we get two games in Perth. Most years we play Carlton and Essendon once, who have been rubbish for years.

Post 2016 Grand Final, I recall Bevo make a point that the only team he had failed to defeat in his two years as a senior coach was Geelong. The way he addressed his audience suggested defeating Geelong was top of his agenda in terms of claiming a scalp. This was evidenced by our 2017 match against Geelong when we took it right up to them on their home deck. We were in front early in the final quarter and had a bit of momentum when Cloke gave away a free kick, followed by a 50m penalty, to gift Geelong a goal. It was all down hill from there.

We were no good in 2018, yet we managed to defeat them. We defeated them again in 2019. Admittedly, both of those matches were at Marvel Stadium. Last year we kicked the first seven goals of the match, only to be overrun and lose by less than two goals. VDM and Wood both got injured in the first half which ultimately cost us the victory.

Our last three matches against Geelong have been pleasing, and I take comfort in knowing we'll be up for this game.

Agreed. Also, if you watch the footage of Treloar on 360 last night, he stressed, rather intensely, that we would be up for the challenge on Friday night.

Agreed. Also, if you watch the footage of Treloar on 360 last night, he stressed, rather intensely, that we would be up for the challenge on Friday night.
I'm quietly confident we have set ourselves to win this. I really like our chances against a slow Geelong side and hope we play to our strengths. Bevo will likely have a plan to counter the slow and deliberate Geelong ball movement. Can't wait.

I'm quietly confident we have set ourselves to win this. I really like our chances against a slow Geelong side and hope we play to our strengths. Bevo will likely have a plan to counter the slow and deliberate Geelong ball movement. Can't wait.
I think we're a certainty.

I've tipped Geelong* and I NEVER get the Friday night game right.

* I'm taking one for the team. You're welcome.

Lol Geelong flogs ..

Someone forgot to tell them they haven't won yet. Pride cometh before the fall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back