worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Sorry if the title of the thread is a bit clumsy-sounding. They were the best adjectives I could come up with when I decided to create this thread. Hopefully the song examples I have included provide people with an understanding of what I am referring to.

I was interested in putting together some songs which feature raspy or screeching vocals. The songs do not necessarily feature raspy vocals all the way through, more they highlight excellent use of screeching or raspy singing to give the song a certain character.

To begin I will feature Paul McCartney, who could easily feature in 10 or 12 such songs. The song I will feature here is I’m Down. McCartney’s voice is raspy and screechy pretty much all the way through which suits the rocking nature and upbeat tempo of the song.

Another good example of Paul’s raspy vocals is in Oh Darling, which prompted John Lennon to tell Playboy magazine in his 1980 interview that if Paul “had any sense, he would have let me sing it.”
This is “Old Siam, Sir” from Paul’s Wings days.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
I bought Prince’s Kiss as a single when it came out. Even though the song is mainly falsetto I always liked the screechy quality at the end, especially in the second-last line.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Bread and Butter from The Newbeats. Interesting to read some of the YouTube comments which accompany this song. A few people thought the screechy vocals were originally sung by a black woman before they had a chance to view the clip and saw a white man.

Last edited:

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Some women have also provided good raspy voices, such as Macy Gray with I Try.

Bonnie Tyler has a put a lot of raspy vocals down, with It’s a Heartache being a great hit.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Wanda Jackson did more than one version of Let’s Have a Party. This one is more up-tempo and highlights good use of raspy vocals.

Last edited:

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know I promised there would be no further AJ posts but the gal had a serious rasp from her very first breath.

She was 12 here. Guitar solo kicks in around 2.40 with no further singing.

And her first public performance.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sorry if the title of the thread is a bit clumsy-sounding. They were the best adjectives I could come up with when I decided to create this thread. Hopefully the song examples I have included provide people with an understanding of what I am referring to.

I was interested in putting together some songs which feature raspy or screeching vocals. The songs do not necessarily feature raspy vocals all the way through, more they highlight excellent use of screeching or raspy singing to give the song a certain character.

To begin I will feature Paul McCartney, who could easily feature in 10 or 12 such songs. The song I will feature here is I’m Down. McCartney’s voice is raspy and screechy pretty much all the way through which suits the rocking nature and upbeat tempo of the song.

Another good example of Paul’s raspy vocals is in Oh Darling, which prompted John Lennon to tell Playboy magazine in his 1980 interview that if Paul “had any sense, he would have let me sing it.”
This is “Old Siam, Sir” from Paul’s Wings days.

If you’re doing McCartney, then this is on the podium

LeakyValve

Club Legend
Nov 26, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He cops a lot of sh*t for his voice but Barnesy in When The War Is Over is absolutely phenomenal. How he doesn’t prolapse is beyond belief
Some years back there was a shindig at the old Perth Oval (once home to the East Perth FC, Polly Farmer, Ross Glendinning, Syd Jackson, Mal Brown et al but now a blasphemous shadow of it's former self Perth Glory/Rugby Union joint).
Barnsey appeared along with "side" acts such as Blondie, Talking Heads and I think Keith Urban. Could be wrong on Keith Urban.
He was simply outstanding. Always quite liked him prior to this, but after this show, I finally understood why he was so well regarded.
Really engaged with the crowd and not only sounded mint, but performed at full-throated tilt for a good hour.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Some years back there was a shindig at the old Perth Oval (once home to the East Perth FC, Polly Farmer, Ross Glendinning, Syd Jackson, Mal Brown et al but now a blasphemous shadow of it's former self Perth Glory/Rugby Union joint).
Barnsey appeared along with "side" acts such as Blondie, Talking Heads and I think Keith Urban. Good be wrong on Keith Urban.
He was simply outstanding. Always quite liked him prior to this, but after this show, I finally understood why he was so well regarded.
Really engaged with the crowd and not only sounded mint, but performed at full-throated tilt for a good hour.

I’ve never heard a bad word about him from anyone who’s seen him live outside of the glory chisel years where he could barely stand up. He hits notes that he shouldn’t be able to

I’ve never heard a bad word about him from anyone who’s seen him live outside of the glory chisel years where he could barely stand up. He hits notes that he shouldn’t be able to
The man is a phenomenon!
If anyone gets the chance, and haven’t seen them, go watch Chisel. They are still a powerhouse that will rock hard for 2+ hours. Don’t know how they do it.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The man is a phenomenon!
If anyone gets the chance, and haven’t seen them, go watch Chisel. They are still a powerhouse that will rock hard for 2+ hours. Don’t know how they do it.

I watched them at the EntCent in Sydney just before it got demolished. It was just balls to the wall the whole time, and they were utterly perfect

You can’t have a thread on raspy vocals without the Queen. Janis Joplin.
One of the best blues singers of all time. No one sang from the heart more than Janis.
Turtle Blues blows me away every time I hear it. :hearteyes:

This one is an absolute belter.

Back