Australia squad for tour of West Indies

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
5 T20Is and 3 ODIs on the tour. Cummins, Warner, Maxwell, Stoinis, J. Richardson, K. Richardson, Sams all made themselves unavailable for the tour and Smith is out with an elbow injury.

Australia squad: Aaron Finch (c), Ashton Agar, Wes Agar, Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey, Dan Christian, Josh Hazlewood, Moises Henriques, Mitchell Marsh, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Josh Philippe, Mitchell Starc, Mitchell Swepson, Ashton Turner, Andrew Tye, Matthew Wade, Adam Zampa. Travelling reserves: Nathan Ellils, Tanveer Sangha.

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars
ODI
Finch c
Wade
McDermott
Henriques
Carey +
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood
Behrendorff

T20
Finch c
Wade
Philippe
McDermott
Carey +
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Zampa
2 of Hazlewood/Meredith/Tye/Behrendorff

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
so from the preliminary squad goes:
smith
warner
cummins
green
maxwell
stoinis
j.richardson
k.richardson
short

do we even know our best XI in 20/20 cricket.

same old issues before a 20/20 world cup.

you would think at least 5 of the above are pretty much certain starters.

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
smith
warner
cummins
green
maxwell
stoinis
j.richardson
k.richardson
short

Yeah its difficult but I think its the right way to go.....too much Bubble fatigue for the players

I reckon the teams that are playing heaps of cricket aka england are going to get burnt out

Less cricket is the way to go with COVID atm ....get your guns refreshed and ready to go come the WC and the Ashes

Westend

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
ODI
Finch c
Wade
McDermott
Henriques
Carey +
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood
Behrendorff

T20
Finch c
Wade
Philippe
McDermott
Carey +
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Zampa

No Wade for me in both formats.....Go Philippe at the top for both formats....

Reckon this was a perfect opportunity to have Inglis in the squad.......best keeper with the gloves in Australia IMO and he can bat in the white ball format

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
Smith and both Richardsons the biggest losses imo. A huge chance for fringe guys to usurp the regulars.. as implied by Hohns.
ODI
Finch c
Wade
McDermott
Henriques
Carey +
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Zampa
Hazlewood
Behrendorff

T20
Finch c
Wade
Philippe
McDermott
Carey +
Marsh
Agar
Starc
Zampa

Smith and both Richardsons the biggest losses imo. A huge chance for fringe guys to usurp the regulars.. as implied by Hohns.
Not sold on Wade. Like to find room for Christian in T20 X1 and Green in ODI. Dorff & Tye get my nod without Kane Richo plus Starc for death bowling duties. Wes Agar and Nathan Ellis are my smokies.

Last edited:

magpiemaniac44

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
San Antonio, Melbourne Stars

Not sold on Wade. Like to find room for Christian in T20 X1 and Green in ODI. Dorff & Tye get my nod without Kane Richo plus Starc for death bowling duties. Wes Agar and Nathan Ellis are my smokies.
you could slide Carey or Philippe up to open and have Christian at 5, with wade coming out. I think Maxwell is a big loss as well just to sure up that middle order.

smith
warner
cummins
green
maxwell
stoinis
j.richardson
k.richardson
short

I'd say something like
Warner
Finch c
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey +
Sams/Agar/Christian
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
J Richardson

But that is all just a guess, a good series from Philippe would have him close, same as Marsh and Wade who the selectors love to pick. I'm a fan of Sams so I'd like to see him in, is a good 5th bowler when you have a Stoinis or Maxwell as a 6th, but is also a good hitter at the end like Cutting.

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Pick your tours and you should never be captain.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Anticipating a really tight battle between these two sides. Windies are a real force in the white ball stuff.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
But that is all just a guess,
Yep. Hohns has said those that have withdrawn from this tour will, in as many words,"open the door for others". Personally I'd like to see a changing of the white ball guard.. hope it is but doubt it will be before the World Cup.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Anticipating a really tight battle between these two sides. Windies are a real force in the white ball stuff.
I'm not sure they have been a force at all recently in white ball stuff. They're ranked 8th in ODIs and finished 9th at the 2019 World Cup in which they had to go through qualifying to get to. They've been even worse than that in T20s where they're ranked 10th and have not been any good since their 2016 T20 World Cup win.

In the last 3 years they've won 19 of 51 ODIs and 10 of 32 T20s.

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
I'm not sure they have been a force at all recently in white ball stuff. They're ranked 8th in ODIs and finished 9th at the 2019 World Cup in which they had to go through qualifying to get to. They've been even worse than that in T20s where they're ranked 10th and have not been any good since their 2016 T20 World Cup win.

In the last 3 years they've won 19 of 51 ODIs and 10 of 32 T20s.
Admittedly, yeah, their record from 2019-now is more underwhelming than I would have thought. Covid hasn't been all that kind to them tbh, depriving the team of some of their standout white-ball players (red ball too). Have a feeling if names like Pooran, Nurse & Chase feature in the WI squad it's most certainly game on!

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The selectors also decided it was better for Cameron Green to remain at home to prepare for next season

Must have missed this dispatch. Probably best for the young blokes career to let him establish his Test career first. Tho I have to say he looks to have a white ball game too. He smoked a quickfire 60/70, including four sixes, against India in a Test last summer if I recall. He did something similar in a ODD too.

Last edited:

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Admittedly, yeah, their record from 2019-now is more underwhelming than I would have thought. Covid hasn't been all that kind to them tbh, depriving the team of some of their standout white-ball players (red ball too). Have a feeling if names like Pooran, Nurse & Chase feature in the WI squad it's most certainly game on!
Not been keeping up.. but what about Bravo, Pollard and Gale?

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Not been keeping up.. but what about Bravo, Pollard and Gale?
The selectors seem to be really impatient with Bravo (Darren, that is), hot-shotting him into the team & then dropping him almost as quickly. I hope to see him return. Pollard is very much part of the Windies setup & is currently captain of the WI ODI team, having taken over from Jason Holder last year.

Gayle is 41 years old now, but is still floating around the T20 scene like he usually does. Might actually feature in the Windies squad once the T20 World Cup rolls around, but there are a few other players that will contesting his spot such as Andre Fletcher & Evin Lewis.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Players ignore the advice of CA (and anyone who they would have spoken to) and play the IPL and chase the big money and now they withdraw from representing their country. I'd tell them all to get ****ed if I'm CA.

Cricketers are such selfish w***ers.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The selectors seem to be really impatient with Bravo (Darren, that is), hot-shotting him into the team & then dropping him almost as quickly. I hope to see him return. Pollard is very much part of the Windies setup & is currently captain of the WI ODI team, having taken over from Jason Holder last year.

Gayle is 41 years old now, but is still floating around the T20 scene like he usually does. Might actually feature in the Windies squad once the T20 World Cup rolls around, but there are a few other players that will contesting his spot such as Andre Fletcher & Evin Lewis.
Meant Dwayne Bravo actually. He has been a Windies ODI mainstay for yonks. Will Holder still play. I suppose I need to bring up the Windies website rather than bug you.

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Players ignore the advice of CA (and anyone who they would have spoken to) and play the IPL and chase the big money and now they withdraw from representing their country. I'd tell them all to get f’ed if I'm CA.
Agree. Having said that, I'd expect most of our blokes to remain loyal to the Baggy Green or canary yellow cap if given the choice between the two if IPL clashes with a home white ball series later this year.

Last edited:

jle101

Club Legend
Sep 3, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Williamstown Seagulls
Meant Dwayne Bravo actually. He has been a Windies ODI mainstay for yonks. Will Holder still play. I suppose I need to bring up the Windies website rather than bug you.
That's fine mate. That's what these forums are for! Dwayne is also still in the picture. Has been playing for WI in T20s as well as for many franchise teams around the globe.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
It's been almost 7 years since he last played an ODI for the Windies.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
you could slide Carey or Philippe up to open and have Christian at 5, with wade coming out. I think Maxwell is a big loss as well just to sure up that middle order.

I'd say something like
Warner
Finch c
Smith
Maxwell
Stoinis
Carey +
Sams/Agar/Christian
Cummins
Starc
Zampa
J Richardson

But that is all just a guess, a good series from Philippe would have him close, same as Marsh and Wade who the selectors love to pick. I'm a fan of Sams so I'd like to see him in, is a good 5th bowler when you have a Stoinis or Maxwell as a 6th, but is also a good hitter at the end like Cutting.

good looking side that with most bases covered.

alot could depend on how well the current guys go against the west indies and bangladesh.

surely the current lot couldn't keep the likes of smith, warner, cummins and others out of world cup contention. that would be a massive call.

Back