Past #34: Charlie Ham - picked at #16 in '21 MSD - delisted end '21 - thanks Charlie

Remove this Banner Ad

It reads like they do not see him as a "prospect" at all, and they have him definitely earmarked for the AFL.

Makes you ponder how highly the rate Edwards too.

There’s every chance we’ve picked up a kid we rate as a first rounder and another late 2nd or third round quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday’s VFL clash offered North Melbourne fans their first look at mid-season draftee Charlie Ham, with the young defender named in the side to face Coburg.

It was not just Ham’s first time playing with some of his AFL-listed teammates, but having only been at the club for a few weeks it was his first-time meeting some of North’s VFL-listed players, players he’d go on to experience a tight, hard-fought win with.

With so many new faces around him, Ham says the welcoming culture of the side allowed him to thrive in what was slightly unfamiliar territory.
“Honestly, I felt pretty comfortable out there. All the boys got around me and they were really good with talking, giving me direction and getting me in the game,” Ham told North Media.

“It was good fun to be out there in North colours for the first time, and it was great to get the win as well.
“There were great vibes out there and I loved it … it was a pretty epic day.”

Ham finished with nine disposals, including a fantastic mark going back with the flight in the third term.

After starting the season with the Geelong Falcons in the NAB League, he's been adapting to the rigours of professional football in his short time at North.

With former junior teammate Charlie Lazzaro in the fold to help bring him up to speed, Ham says he’s looking forward to a successful second half of the campaign.

“It’s been a couple of years since I last played with Charlie. Getting back out there with him, but this time in the royal blue and white, was good fun. It was really good to run out with him again,” he said.

“Today was my first hitout for about four weeks, so I was only meant to play 50 per cent game time, but I ended up playing 70 to ease me back in a little bit.

“I definitely need to get a little bit more match fitness, but I felt alright while I was out there … there’s been a lot to take in but I feel pretty comfortable.

“I just need to put the hard yards in each week and hopefully by the end of the year I’ll be having a crack with the seniors, we’ll have to wait and see … it’s only going to get better.”

Saturday’s VFL clash offered North Melbourne fans their first look at mid-season draftee Charlie Ham, with the young defender named in the side to face Coburg.

It was not just Ham’s first time playing with some of his AFL-listed teammates, but having only been at the club for a few weeks it was his first-time meeting some of North’s VFL-listed players, players he’d go on to experience a tight, hard-fought win with.

With so many new faces around him, Ham says the welcoming culture of the side allowed him to thrive in what was slightly unfamiliar territory.
“Honestly, I felt pretty comfortable out there. All the boys got around me and they were really good with talking, giving me direction and getting me in the game,” Ham told North Media.

“It was good fun to be out there in North colours for the first time, and it was great to get the win as well.
“There were great vibes out there and I loved it … it was a pretty epic day.”

Ham finished with nine disposals, including a fantastic mark going back with the flight in the third term.

After starting the season with the Geelong Falcons in the NAB League, he's been adapting to the rigours of professional football in his short time at North.

With former junior teammate Charlie Lazzaro in the fold to help bring him up to speed, Ham says he’s looking forward to a successful second half of the campaign.

“It’s been a couple of years since I last played with Charlie. Getting back out there with him, but this time in the royal blue and white, was good fun. It was really good to run out with him again,” he said.

“Today was my first hitout for about four weeks, so I was only meant to play 50 per cent game time, but I ended up playing 70 to ease me back in a little bit.

“I definitely need to get a little bit more match fitness, but I felt alright while I was out there … there’s been a lot to take in but I feel pretty comfortable.

“I just need to put the hard yards in each week and hopefully by the end of the year I’ll be having a crack with the seniors, we’ll have to wait and see … it’s only going to get better.”

Excellent 9 disposals in 70 minutes. Just curious what he was doing for the other 68 minutes?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back