World Test Championship Final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ian Smith said June in England is akin to Kiwi conditions.. Expect he meant if moist, cloud cover, green deck. Yes then I can see India struggling against the Kiwi attack.. all of whom swing or seam the cherry. Did I read that the Aussie Kooka is being used and not the English Dukes?

"The match will be played using Grade 1 Dukes cricket balls."

Go and have a look at the comments of the video posted by CA on twitter. A heap of TVNZ journalists (for some reason) getting stuck into him about not having a test century.

It's not the sledging I have a problem with it's the hypocrisy.
I think you're taking it too seriously about Paine, are we not allowed a bit of banter?I'm not sure what not scoring a hundreds got to do with anything really, but that's just some dick on Twitter with a bad joke.

And (seeing as we are generaiising about fans) no offence but it a nation that spent years talking about how they play 'hard but fair' probably shouldn't accuse others of hypocrisy.

I think you're taking it too seriously about Paine, are we not allowed a bit of banter?I'm not sure what not scoring a hundreds got to do with anything really, but that's just some dick on Twitter with a bad joke.

And (seeing as we are generaiising about fans) no offence but it a nation that spent years talking about how they play 'hard but fair' probably shouldn't accuse others of hypocrisy.
I think it's pretty well established the hypocritical nature of Australian cricket. They get lambasted for it all the time (often by me) and rightfully so.

No one says anything when NZ do it though and it shits me. It's banter when NZ do it but sledging when Australia does it.

I think it's pretty well established the hypocritical nature of Australian cricket. They get lambasted for it all the time (often by me) and rightfully so.

No one says anything when NZ do it though and it shits me. It's banter when NZ do it but sledging when Australia does it.
Are you talking about the NZ team or the NZ fans?

The players are only answering questions from journalists, it's not like they are desperate to talk about themselves. Most of them are good blokes, Trent Boult isn't nicknamed "Lovely Trenty" for nothing!

The fans? Well if you think the banter is sledging that's fine, but most New Zealander's love our ANZAC brothers and sisters, most here have friends and/or family over the ditch and love visiting your country. It's just you happen to have had a lot of dickheads in your cricket team :p and occasionally we remind you of that.

What's hypocrital about some fans giving the visiting team a hard time?

I hope that doesn't ever happen in Australia. Otherwise you would be guilty of being a hypocrite yourself.
The middle pic was at a match not involving Australia...

I would advise the fans to temper their expectations of the match because the final is going to prove once again why England is the best place to host any cricket event.
It will more than likely be tedious but with a reserve day there should still be a result.

They will have to move it next time though. Not just because of the English weather but because you can't have it in conditions that only suit a certain number of teams twice in a row. In an ideal world it really should be a 3 match series too but that won't happen with the already packed cricket calendar.

It will more than likely be tedious but with a reserve day there should still be a result.

They will have to move it next time though. Not just because of the English weather but because you can't have it in conditions that only suit a certain number of teams twice in a row. In an ideal world it really should be a 3 match series too but that won't happen with the already packed cricket calendar.

Is the next final scheduled in England too?

I hope it's in Australia. A WTC final at the MCG would be great atmosphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, like the 2002 CT final

that's a hollow victory to both sides if that's the case.

i know there's a 6th day (but it's only a reserve day to make up for any lost time).

i get it - we don't want one team only needing to draw and bat 1st and make 900 etc for a boring game etc.

but we don't want a draw where:
- team batting 4th are 6 wickets down and 80 runs to win and still in the balance and end of day 5 after the extra hour taken etc.
- team batting 4th still needing 200 runs, are 9 wickets down and hang on for the draw.

that's a hollow victory to both sides if that's the case.

I disagree. Nothing would be more emblematic of cricket than cricket, stuck in a fast paced world filled with short and packed bursts of entertainment, desperately trying to survive amongst all other sports and in a bid to create some context to its age old game that stretches for five days, organises an unprecedented grand final event that stretches for six days just for a safety net, and still ends up with no result.

Am I the only one who feels the Test Championship should actually be played over a 3 game series instead of a solitary game?

Test matches have so many epic flows over a course of a series and the test is usually for players endurance over a period of time through different conditions. This has the potential to be rained-out stalemate after a test championship cycle of 3 years, could potentially be a flop. Hope I'm wrong though!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back