How many weeks for Mackay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Clark has nerve damage supposedly. He could be affected later.

This could still go to the courts later if Clark feels he deserves compo
The AFL has insurance for that kind of situation

Most of the concussions in the AFL occur in marking contests
Are we to outlaw players taking a mark from the back of a pack and putting a knee up?
Or Jacks mark the other week could of easily resulted in multiple injuries quite easily

Have you got stats on that???

I would have thought most concussions or serious ones are not from marking contests

Do we have a break down for this year?

The way the AFL have operated here is disgusting. The language they used and the argument they made were absolute crap. They should be embarrassed and Hocking should be walked out of his role immediately.

Meanwhile, any chance the media get over this distraction and apply the same level of hysteria to the AFL sanctioned salary cap cheating of Collingwood?

Theoretically, wouldn't he have case with the AFL, not Mackay?

I am not a legal eagle but I suppose he could sue both.

If the AFL suspended Mackay he would need to get more compo from Mackay because he was unreasonable within the confines of what is acceptable.

With the AFL saying its okay, he theoretically can get more compo from the AFL

Brereton is talking about outcome now. If Clark long term outcome is bad the suit makes it relevant in terms of collecting compo.

See Clark could sue Berry to possibly because he pushed him into it a little supposedly

He got none. But the change is coming to the game, Australian Rules Football is going to change again. Players will be coached differently from 2022, maybe even earlier? The Bump is in trouble and i suspect it will be a casualty in the wash-up of this incident. Mackay played by the rules , for him to be rubbed out those rules have to be changed, so therefore the right decision was made. Players must expect contact while this game is a contest based contact sport. Maybe the answer is to slow it down a little? Has the AFL's obsession to make it a fast-paced action-packed game come back to bite them on the backside? If they change the rules regarding the bump then the entire game needs a rules overhaul? It ain't over yet?

J.Brown. happened a few times in his career... contact sport. There has to be some allowances for incidental contact.

Some of Jonathan Browns efforts was courageous, some stupid and self-inflicted.

I do not want JR's recent effort stopped nor do I think it would have been stopped by the verdict in this case.

Nick Reiwoldt was a more reckless mark

I think some people are jumping at shadows. I hear Riccuito worrying about restricted rules on AFL360 and thats fair enough. Thats why its based on outcome so the onus is on the player and if he is reckless he faces the lawsuit rather than all the players and participants through the AFL coping the lawsuit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets see from the law cases in the years ahead.

Its a win for the legal eagles, they have played this well.

Plenty of work to come for them now

Do you need to look forward? Precedent is that players with concussion seek compensation from the AFL, not individual players.

Daniel Bell - Had an incident with Ben Johnson (who was suspended for 6 weeks), Bell sought compensation with the AFL.

Do you need to look forward? Precedent is that players with concussion seek compensation from the AFL, not individual players.

Daniel Bell - Had an incident with Ben Johnson (who was suspended for 6 weeks), Bell sought compensation with the AFL.

It depends on what the players feel the loss is I suppose.

suppose more intelligent people will not play footy to avoid the risks

Could the family of a player inflicted sue?? I will not mention instances but head issues are prevalent these days

Can we have some consistency please AFL.
I just watched the incident for the first time.
Could have gotten 3 weeks or none.
I honestly would have no idea.

The AFL, and indeed all contact sport codes, should create very clear rules that pertain to all aspects of contact between players, especially surrounding the potential for contact to the head of a teammate or an opponent, that readily inform the decisions players should make in a clearly defined set of circumstances on the field. These would need to be extensive and highly detailed, especially for Australian Rules Football given the 360 degree and relatively full-contact nature of the game.

Any injuries sustained during play or training within the bounds of those rules should be featured in a clause that each player signs as a legal acceptance of them taking a reasonable amount of risk of sustaining injuries during the course of their career.

Accidents happen.

And it logically follows that incremental changes to the rules of contact sport that seek to mitigate the risk of injury have got to stop at some point before the contact sport becomes a non-contact sport.

Thus, it is incumbent on each code finding highly intelligent and well-informed arbiters to draw those lines as soon as possible.

Otherwise, we are destined to have rule changes every single year with no end in sight, or risk the viability of the code going forward (ie. from financial ruin associated with a spate of lawsuits/compo claims).

Someone needs to take a firm level of control for this to happen and to be effective.

Last edited:
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier
In a rare move, the AFL Players Association sent a submission to the tribunal claiming the match review officer had failed to discharge his duty, and that Hocking had misused his discretion in referring the incident. The AFLPA wanted the matter thrown out. This was rejected.

Who is to say Clark returns to play footy?

He has nerve damage. What will the effects be? Will he be like Greg Williams and lose memory, will he have worse issues
Far too early to say - and it is extremely speculative to say that he is a) has developed a chronic injury and b) wants to take it to court.

But if it does go to court, the AFL judgement today effectively apportions a lot of the blame to Clarke - mcKay played by the rules, Clarke is a professional, it is his responsibility to protect himself when an opposition player acts in a way that is entirely consistent with a) the nature of the game and b) was within the rules.

For all those talking about duty of care etc, does a footballer have a duty of care to his teammates ? If an opposing player hits another, then they say ge had a duty of care but they never talk about that if a player injures his teammate , it’s just friendly fire . If you are going to say players cannot attack the ball , then it should apply equally to teammate and opponent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back